CLS Coupe (C257) Discuss the CLS Coupe

Media Song Next/Previous Selection from Steering Wheel

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-18-2023, 03:05 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
GLS580 / CLS450
Media Song Next/Previous Selection from Steering Wheel

I'm confused on how to use the right touch pad of the steering wheel to skip songs. I can get the media option to appear on the instrument cluster, but I can't figure out how to skip a song without first having to "wake up" the system to let it know I want to use the media section of the cluster.

For example, if I'm listening to a song and want to skip it, I have to swipe down on the right steering wheel touch pad, this will not skip the song though. I have to then (quickly) swipe down again to skip a song. After that, I have a few seconds to keep skipping songs, but if I were to wait 5-6 seconds so, the highlighted media section on the cluster is no longer highlighted and I again have to do two swipes to skip a song (one swipe to "wake" it or highlight the menu, and another to actually skip the song). This is very frustrating and was fixed for the MBUX system, but I have a 2019 with Command still. Am I missing something, is there really not a way to skip a song with just one swipe from the steering wheel?

Again, I know if you have a 2021 or later CLS, that the new MBUX system can do this, but for those of us with Command I can't believe the system was intended to be this hard to use. Any feedback is appreciated, thanks.
Old 12-19-2023, 10:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 274 Likes on 204 Posts
'19 CLS450
I just picked up a '19 and am getting used to the touch pads after coming from my '17 C43. Oddly enough, I can swipe down/up to change tracks when connected via BT, no "waking" as you've described. On the left pad, I do have to perform the double swipe to change the center gauge from MPH to trip. Love this stuff! /s
Old 12-20-2023, 04:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLS AMG 53
In my 2020, I can just swipe with the left side touchpad and it will change. No need to double swipe. However, I'm using Android Auto. I also have the audio controls on the main screen at the bottom (an option you can select within android auto). This allows me to use the big track wheel to skip tracks as well.
Old 12-22-2023, 03:27 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
GLS580 / CLS450
Originally Posted by sideways23103
In my 2020, I can just swipe with the left side touchpad and it will change. No need to double swipe. However, I'm using Android Auto. I also have the audio controls on the main screen at the bottom (an option you can select within android auto). This allows me to use the big track wheel to skip tracks as well.
I use Android Auto and cannot accomplish any of what you are talking about. When AA is on the main screen with controls on the bottom (underneath the navigation), the wheel will just move the scroll box around, not skip a song (for example, my wheel will move it from previous to skip, but I still have to push the wheel down to get it to skip a song. For the instrument cluster, I use the modern layout, so the Media selection is on the left (MPH in the middle and navigation the right). I still have to swipe down twice to skip a song (once to "wake up") and once to skip. I can skip with one swipe if I swipe again before the left side of the instrument is no longer highlighted, but that's only a few seconds. What is your instrument cluster setup? Maybe I just have to go to Sport or the default.