Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 04:36 PM
DNJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS 63 AMG (previously) looking for another AMG
Unhappy CLS 63 gearbox replacement!

Greetings chaps,

I have been experiencing a very strange sound for the past 2 months or so coming from what I thought was the engine. In short once the oil temp reached around 100c I was hearing a constant high pitched sound even when the car was idle. On turning off the engine, the pitched increased and lasted for around 1-2 seconds before stopping.

I got so fed up with this that I took the car to mercedes a few days ago for a diagnosis of the problem. NB I did not notice any change in performance. Anyway I spoke with them today and was informed that the problem is to do with the gearbox and that it needs replacing at a cost of £6,000 (not dollars)! Wow!

As the car is of course under warranty it won't cost me anything but I am nevertheless shocked by this news.

Has anyone heard of this or a similar problem?
Old 01-02-2009, 05:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 CLS63 030
Originally Posted by DNJ
Greetings chaps,

I have been experiencing a very strange sound for the past 2 months or so coming from what I thought was the engine. In short once the oil temp reached around 100c I was hearing a constant high pitched sound even when the car was idle. On turning off the engine, the pitched increased and lasted for around 1-2 seconds before stopping.

I got so fed up with this that I took the car to mercedes a few days ago for a diagnosis of the problem. NB I did not notice any change in performance. Anyway I spoke with them today and was informed that the problem is to do with the gearbox and that it needs replacing at a cost of £6,000 (not dollars)! Wow!

As the car is of course under warranty it won't cost me anything but I am nevertheless shocked by this news.

Has anyone heard of this or a similar problem?
No,

But if you could post the exact codes details of the repair even the repair oirder it may be helpful to others who may have the same prob but have not taken the car in..

Hopefully this is not a "defect" although they said earlier versions of the 7G have failed alot.
Old 01-03-2009, 07:15 AM
DNJ

Unhappy

OK thanks I will do.

I am aware that the gearbox fitted to new CLS 63's now blip the throttle on the downchange. Any idea whether they could fit this one instead? Are you (or anyone else) aware of any compatibility issues?
Old 01-03-2009, 02:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
06 E55 Black
Originally Posted by DNJ
OK thanks I will do.

I am aware that the gearbox fitted to new CLS 63's now blip the throttle on the downchange. Any idea whether they could fit this one instead? Are you (or anyone else) aware of any compatibility issues?
that's software
Old 01-05-2009, 05:24 AM
DNJ

Originally Posted by regor60
that's software
I did not realise that. Thanks. I will try to get this done.
Old 01-06-2009, 01:25 AM
Banned

Brass air fittings

Now that is a lot of brass air fittings http://www.liangdianup.com/subpages/airfitting_1.htm there is just about every type
of air fitting that you could want. Wholesale prices too. I guess these could be used as small water pipe fitting also. I
used some of the parts to make my babington wvo bu
Old 01-06-2009, 02:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
190D 2.5 (x2), 190E 2.6, W202 C240,W202 C43 (C55), W210 E55, W212 E250CDI
I've had 2 722.9 transmissions which a high pitch squeel now. Very loud when hot beween idle and 1500rpm.

Both of them turned out to be a defect in the oil pump which made it noisy, the only evidence was a burn mark on the pump gear. Strangly its the same pump as a 722.6 and I don't see them playing up too much, could have something to do with the magnesium housing expanding differently than the aluminium one in the 722.6.

If they were happy to give you a new transmission then accept very graciously and be sure to leave some wine/beer to the service adviser and tech.
Old 01-10-2009, 06:02 PM
DNJ

They are now saying that they think it is the torque converter. They started replacing it yesterday and the car should be ready on Monday. I will update you all next week. Thanks for your support.

PS they are also installing the throttle blipping shoftware!
Old 01-12-2009, 07:34 PM
LZH
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK 63 Black Series, 2009 S550, 2011 Range Rover Supercharged, BMW F800 GS Anniv Edition
Originally Posted by DNJ
They are now saying that they think it is the torque converter. They started replacing it yesterday and the car should be ready on Monday. I will update you all next week. Thanks for your support.

PS they are also installing the throttle blipping shoftware!
That is interesting becasue dealers in the US will NOT update the software to blip the throttle.
Old 03-25-2009, 08:52 PM

E63, S550
Originally Posted by LZH
That is interesting becasue dealers in the US will NOT update the software to blip the throttle.
So an upgrade is available but they won't do it? If that is true, I know a shop that has the Mercedes diagnostic computer and can upload updated software into our cars.