GLS Class (X167) Produced 2020 to present

MY NEW GLS.... early review

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old Yesterday, 02:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 711 Likes on 461 Posts
Current/Last 5-years: GLS,X5,Tesla,Accord; Sold:S560;S550,2x X7; X5;BMW 530e;Lincoln Navigator;LS460
MY NEW GLS.... early review

This is my first GLS (but 2nd "GL"). Very excited about it, and I look forward to being around the GLS sub-forum for (hopefully) many years to come.

I missed driving and owning a Mercedes since I sold my last Mercedes last year (W222). I owned several BMW SUVs (X5 and X7) that all overlapped with the X167 era (2020-2025), and I always wanted a GLS. Some of you recall that I posted here couple times over the years each time I was buying/upgrading an X7. I ended up with an X7 every single time, but this time, interestingly enough I bought a GLS replacing my last X7. Had a few issues with my X7 M60 that finally ended up with a buyback; bought my GLS just 2 days ago.

Extremely happy with the exterior styling an color as well as the interior. Here are my initial impressions (early review). I'll post later as in about 2 months for any other long-term impressions.
  1. Engine: I specifically wanted the inline 6-cylinder. This is a family hailer on the highway, and in-town it will be rarely used unless we have to. The wife drives her X5 most of the time. The inline 6-cylinders work perfectly for this use, smooth on the highway, shifts really nice (and in my view, very reliable).
  2. MPG: It did much better than any V8 (M50/M60I) BMW SUV, and also better than the X5 40i we had before. 350 miles trip average 25.6 MPG mid way while driving on the highway (gone up to 26.2 MPG when I switched to eco), 70-80 MPH speed zones, driving 85 MPH for ~60-70% of the route. I am getting 19.5 MPG in-town-only trips for the past 60 miles over the last 2 days.
  3. Suspension: Love the balanced floaty but sufficiently solid/firm feeling, but still trying to choose between Sport vs Comfort suspension settings. Any thoughts about that? I felt that Sport suspension setup (under individual) did well on the highway. Still not sure about in-town. The X7 with DHP drives much much better than E-ABC GLS, but the Mbenz Airmatic drives much better than the X7 air suspensions. Mine has the Airmatic obviously, and am coming from a DHP X7. I don't feel it was a downgrade. Turning radius is already as good as X7 with rear wheel steering (at least it feels like it, that I was shocked).
  4. Tires: I don't think I have the best tires on this car. I feel the ride can still be even better. I have the Pirelli Scorpion Zero. Has anyone had those before, or switched from those to different set? are they good for this car?
  5. Spare tire kit: Finally a spare kit with decent tools package including a wrench, extra lug nuts, liftjack, etc, well tucked and placed under the surface of the rear trunk. Hard to see that nowadays. Was surprised that the wrench didn't have the flower-style mirroring the Mbenz lug nuts and wondering if it will damage them if used.
  6. Drive assist and infotainment/software: A bit of a downgrade compared to our former X7 M60 or current X5 (both LCI); but who cares when we use carplay all the time? I bought the "CarlinKit 5.0 2Air" unit from Amazon to convert the screen to full CarPlay along with wireless. I read very good reviews about it for other MBUX vehicles on this forum. Any thoughts about that? I will get mine tomorrow. As far as the drive assist: well, it's better than my W222, but not as good as BMW unless it's my imagination since it's a bigger car.
  7. Interior packaging: Absolutely fantastic with the 6-seaters. I can easily get a hitch Steel Cargo Carrier (the small one hanging from the hitch without the wheels) to hold our luggage if the space behind 3rd row is not enough and still enjoy all the space. The 3rd row 100% fits adjults even taller ones at least up to 6 ft 1" per my test. Head space is better than X7. The 2nd row and 3rd row both have a few more inches of leg-room compared to the X7. The 3rd row is also much more comfortable. The biggest change is that the captain chairs in our X7 never folded. The captain chairs in the GLS do fold. As the biggest SUV at home, I sometimes need the interior cabin fully folded to move large items, furniture, TV, etc, even though this only happens 3-4 times a year, but still worth it. U can also fold all the right (or left) side of the 2nd and 3rd row and load a kayak, which I was never able to do with the X7.
  8. Exterior: Love how big and classy the car looks like, compared to the X7 (looks sportier, but not as big). It's the closest that one can get to US-made SUVs without the bouncy and lousy driving experience of these big SUVs. Ground clearance is awesome.
  9. Upgrades and accessories: First I did is to schedule an appointment with Elebest (sponsor vendor here, https://mbworld.org/forums/members/418216-elebest.html ) and I got the ILS+ adaptive highbeam headlights coded last night. I attached a photo of the new menu screen after coding. I will post a separate thread about the adaptive headlights now after coding as I get to use them more with extended night-time driving. So far they work like magic and made things much more clear at night. I love the cornering lights (which BMW killed for the LCI!!) but I think the GLS had that even before ILS coding (I am not sure). I bought the TuxMats just this morning. Waiting for the dashcam from Fitcamx, and the CarlinKit 5.0 for Wireless and full screen CarPlay.
Let me know what you all think about your GLS. Anything that I should be aware of?... Thanks!

Leaving you with a few pictures......

Interior

25.6 MPG after a long 3.5 hours drive on a 70-85 MPH highway...It was closer to 26.x when I got home. Better than I expected. I mostly used eco mode though, will try comfort-only later and see.

Thanks to Elebest who coded ILS for me last night. Works like magic so far, but will post later another thread with a video as I get to use it more on extended drives.

Last edited by S_W222; Yesterday at 02:52 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by S_W222:
EWL5 (Yesterday), mikapen (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 05:12 PM

Received 203 Likes on 164 Posts
'23 GLS450
Congrats and welcome back to the fold! It looks like my MY23 (definitely not MY24)! What MY is it?
Old Yesterday, 05:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Current/Last 5-years: GLS,X5,Tesla,Accord; Sold:S560;S550,2x X7; X5;BMW 530e;Lincoln Navigator;LS460
Originally Posted by EWL5
Congrats and welcome back to the fold! It looks like my MY23 (definitely not MY24)! What MY is it?
This is a certified 2022, actually late production in 2022. This CPO gives me unlimited mileage warranty and ability 3 years from now.
I didn’t shop for a specific year (I looked at them all from 2021-2023). I only excluded 2020 as I read the first year of GLS production had some issues.
The following users liked this post:
EWL5 (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 07:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 656 Likes on 408 Posts
2020 GLS450 / 2024 Ford Bronco / (former) W212 4-matic 350 sport package

Congrats! You’ll enjoy it, it’s a vehicle that lets you relax and enjoy the ride. We’re original 2020 and have enjoyed it mostly. Some annoyances here and there, but cosmetic primarily. No mechanical issues.

The Pirelli’s are OE for some of them. Since a CPO, they likely just put them on. The rears will be done around 25k-28k miles while the fronts will likely go to about 45k. Many of us switch over to the Michelin option which last about the same but ride a bit smoother. Doesn’t matter what you put on, the geometry of the suspension in the rear eats them up. You’ll know it’s getting close because you’ll start to hear it.

The Fitcam is a good option for the dash cam. We’ve had ours for a couple of years now (front only) and have no complaints. Don’t know about the app, we just pull the card and insert it into the Mac and check the video. Came in handy to harass my wife who got two tickets inside of 3 weeks recently (only two in her entire life, so I had to take advantage of it while I could - married 20 years).

if you claybar detail the car, you’ll be very happy with the results with that color!

This is ours now, 4 years and 73k miles. We’ve had a summer of garage bingo with two new cars, but the GLS remains the stable horse. We’ll keep for however long it’ll allow me to. When my trusted indi mechanic hits a roadblock on it, will be when we get rid of it. Won’t be going down the aging 48v mild hybrid route if it becomes problematic. So far so good, no issues!
Old Yesterday, 07:12 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,632 Likes on 2,237 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Originally Posted by S_W222
This is my first GLS (but 2nd "GL"). Very excited about it, and I look forward to being around the GLS sub-forum for (hopefully) many years to come.

I missed driving and owning a Mercedes since I sold my last Mercedes last year (W222). I owned several BMW SUVs (X5 and X7) that all overlapped with the X167 era (2020-2025), and I always wanted a GLS. Some of you recall that I posted here couple times over the years each time I was buying/upgrading an X7. I ended up with an X7 every single time, but this time, interestingly enough I bought a GLS replacing my last X7. Had a few issues with my X7 M60 that finally ended up with a buyback; bought my GLS just 2 days ago.

Extremely happy with the exterior styling an color as well as the interior. Here are my initial impressions (early review). I'll post later as in about 2 months for any other long-term impressions.
  1. Engine: I specifically wanted the inline 6-cylinder. This is a family hailer on the highway, and in-town it will be rarely used unless we have to. The wife drives her X5 most of the time. The inline 6-cylinders work perfectly for this use, smooth on the highway, shifts really nice (and in my view, very reliable).
  2. MPG: It did much better than any V8 (M50/M60I) BMW SUV, and also better than the X5 40i we had before. 350 miles trip average 25.6 MPG mid way while driving on the highway (gone up to 26.2 MPG when I switched to eco), 70-80 MPH speed zones, driving 85 MPH for ~60-70% of the route. I am getting 19.5 MPG in-town-only trips for the past 60 miles over the last 2 days.
  3. Suspension: Love the balanced floaty but sufficiently solid/firm feeling, but still trying to choose between Sport vs Comfort suspension settings. Any thoughts about that? I felt that Sport suspension setup (under individual) did well on the highway. Still not sure about in-town. The X7 with DHP drives much much better than E-ABC GLS, but the Mbenz Airmatic drives much better than the X7 air suspensions. Mine has the Airmatic obviously, and am coming from a DHP X7. I don't feel it was a downgrade. Turning radius is already as good as X7 with rear wheel steering (at least it feels like it, that I was shocked).
  4. Tires: I don't think I have the best tires on this car. I feel the ride can still be even better. I have the Pirelli Scorpion Zero. Has anyone had those before, or switched from those to different set? are they good for this car?
  5. Spare tire kit: Finally a spare kit with decent tools package including a wrench, extra lug nuts, liftjack, etc, well tucked and placed under the surface of the rear trunk. Hard to see that nowadays. Was surprised that the wrench didn't have the flower-style mirroring the Mbenz lug nuts and wondering if it will damage them if used.
  6. Drive assist and infotainment/software: A bit of a downgrade compared to our former X7 M60 or current X5 (both LCI); but who cares when we use carplay all the time? I bought the "CarlinKit 5.0 2Air" unit from Amazon to convert the screen to full CarPlay along with wireless. I read very good reviews about it for other MBUX vehicles on this forum. Any thoughts about that? I will get mine tomorrow. As far as the drive assist: well, it's better than my W222, but not as good as BMW unless it's my imagination since it's a bigger car.
  7. Interior packaging: Absolutely fantastic with the 6-seaters. I can easily get a hitch Steel Cargo Carrier (the small one hanging from the hitch without the wheels) to hold our luggage if the space behind 3rd row is not enough and still enjoy all the space. The 3rd row 100% fits adjults even taller ones at least up to 6 ft 1" per my test. Head space is better than X7. The 2nd row and 3rd row both have a few more inches of leg-room compared to the X7. The 3rd row is also much more comfortable. The biggest change is that the captain chairs in our X7 never folded. The captain chairs in the GLS do fold. As the biggest SUV at home, I sometimes need the interior cabin fully folded to move large items, furniture, TV, etc, even though this only happens 3-4 times a year, but still worth it. U can also fold all the right (or left) side of the 2nd and 3rd row and load a kayak, which I was never able to do with the X7.
  8. Exterior: Love how big and classy the car looks like, compared to the X7 (looks sportier, but not as big). It's the closest that one can get to US-made SUVs without the bouncy and lousy driving experience of these big SUVs. Ground clearance is awesome.
  9. Upgrades and accessories: First I did is to schedule an appointment with Elebest (sponsor vendor here, https://mbworld.org/forums/members/418216-elebest.html ) and I got the ILS+ adaptive highbeam headlights coded last night. I attached a photo of the new menu screen after coding. I will post a separate thread about the adaptive headlights now after coding as I get to use them more with extended night-time driving. So far they work like magic and made things much more clear at night. I love the cornering lights (which BMW killed for the LCI!!) but I think the GLS had that even before ILS coding (I am not sure). I bought the TuxMats just this morning. Waiting for the dashcam from Fitcamx, and the CarlinKit 5.0 for Wireless and full screen CarPlay.
Let me know what you all think about your GLS. Anything that I should be aware of?... Thanks!

Leaving you with a few pictures......
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...aa44860bde.jpg
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...16b3a17414.jpg
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...69564eb2fc.jpg
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...c14deb8f4e.jpg
Interior
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...34505ab99f.jpg
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...9537f75c58.jpg
25.6 MPG after a long 3.5 hours drive on a 70-85 MPH highway...It was closer to 26.x when I got home. Better than I expected. I mostly used eco mode though, will try comfort-only later and see.
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...a93fe4c788.jpg
Thanks to Elebest who coded ILS for me last night. Works like magic so far, but will post later another thread with a video as I get to use it more on extended drives.
Congrats! I am not an SUV person but that is THE SUV to get : )
S_W222 (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 09:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 702 Likes on 521 Posts
MB
  1. MPG: It did much better than any V8 (M50/M60I) BMW SUV, and also better than the X5 40i we had before. 350 miles trip average 25.6 MPG mid way while driving on the highway (gone up to 26.2 MPG when I switched to eco), 70-80 MPH speed zones, driving 85 MPH for ~60-70% of the route. I am getting 19.5 MPG in-town-only trips for the past 60 miles over the last 2 days.
  2. Suspension: Love the balanced floaty but sufficiently solid/firm feeling, but still trying to choose between Sport vs Comfort suspension settings. Any thoughts about that? I felt that Sport suspension setup (under individual) did well on the highway. Still not sure about in-town. The X7 with DHP drives much much better than E-ABC GLS, but the Mbenz Airmatic drives much better than the X7 air suspensions. Mine has the Airmatic obviously, and am coming from a DHP X7. I don't feel it was a downgrade. Turning radius is already as good as X7 with rear wheel steering (at least it feels like it, that I was shocked).
  3. Spare tire kit: Was surprised that the wrench didn't have the flower-style mirroring the Mbenz lug nuts and wondering if it will damage them if used.
  4. Drive assist and infotainment/software: I bought the "CarlinKit 5.0 2Air" unit from Amazon to convert the screen to full CarPlay along with wireless.
  5. Interior packaging: Absolutely fantastic with the 6-seaters.
  6. Upgrades and accessories: CarlinKit 5.0 for Wireless and full screen CarPlay.

Just curious why you decided to change it up with a GLS vs getting another X7?

Your DHP comment is interesting, especially how you liked it more than E-ABC. Can you please provide more details on how the two compared, likes/dislikes? Is DHP just BMW's version of active sway bars like Active Ride Control (ARC) on the AMGs? I have a GLE with E-ABC so if someone finds something else that performs better, then I'm all ears. I don't think I'll ever move to an X7, just too small vs the GLS but always good to know what's going on with the competition.

I'm currently renting a GLS with airmatic and so far I'm not a fan of the sport setting, it just doesn't tighten up enough for me which makes me think that if I ever move onto a 3-row, I might have to get the AMG with ARC. I've driven a few. loaner vehicles and test vehicles with Airmatic and ARC and I liked them better than just airmatic. I wish the GLS had an AMG 53 version because like you, I found the I6 perfectly fine in most situations but the AMG would allow to option with ARC like the GLE 53.

So far my rental has been very comfortable to drive (almost 1200 miles over 20 days). I have averaged 27mpg so far. From my GLE at home, I miss the massage seats (seat kinetics), acoustic glass, and the E-ABC; the rental is also missing the 3rd row climate vents (surprised this is an option and not standard on a luxury 3-row), and knowing that yours has the captains chairs on the 2nd row avoids the very slow moving electric 2nd-row seats to move out of the way for 3rd-row passengers to get in/out.

For the spare tire, I'd buy a flower socket and a 24" breaker bar to go with it, and maybe alignment pins.

Sorry to burst your bubble but no full-screen carplay in the pre-facelift; no adapter exists to give you this. You can still get wireless CP with an adapter though. I like this one because it has a USB-C pigtail and it's not dual platform like Carlinkit (AA and CP) which I found to be less reliable - - my experience is with the Android Auto version of that same adapter so YMMV with the CP version.

Last edited by wildta; Yesterday at 10:03 PM.
Old Yesterday, 11:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by nc211
Congrats! You’ll enjoy it, it’s a vehicle that lets you relax and enjoy the ride. We’re original 2020 and have enjoyed it mostly. Some annoyances here and there, but cosmetic primarily. No mechanical issues.

The Pirelli’s are OE for some of them. Since a CPO, they likely just put them on. The rears will be done around 25k-28k miles while the fronts will likely go to about 45k. Many of us switch over to the Michelin option which last about the same but ride a bit smoother. Doesn’t matter what you put on, the geometry of the suspension in the rear eats them up. You’ll know it’s getting close because you’ll start to hear it.

The Fitcam is a good option for the dash cam. We’ve had ours for a couple of years now (front only) and have no complaints. Don’t know about the app, we just pull the card and insert it into the Mac and check the video. Came in handy to harass my wife who got two tickets inside of 3 weeks recently (only two in her entire life, so I had to take advantage of it while I could - married 20 years).

if you claybar detail the car, you’ll be very happy with the results with that color!

This is ours now, 4 years and 73k miles. We’ve had a summer of garage bingo with two new cars, but the GLS remains the stable horse. We’ll keep for however long it’ll allow me to. When my trusted indi mechanic hits a roadblock on it, will be when we get rid of it. Won’t be going down the aging 48v mild hybrid route if it becomes problematic. So far so good, no issues!
Wow, this is an impressive lifetime MPG to be honest for a car of that size. I'll think about babysitting the paint condition or not, still haven't decided. I have more cars that I can digest as far as detailing, and I only take care of only one of them, and the rest all go to car washed and build swirl marks just like most cars around. It's just hard to babysit all of them. The only car I detail on weekly basis and never ever took to car washed (and it's full PPF'ed) is my Tesla Model S. This color of this GLS would be a perfect one to also detail and babysit but am afraid that I don't have the time and energy to also wash this car by hand every 3-4 days. Plus it gets really hard in winter and snow to maintain both during the cold months. I think I might hire a pro detailer to let the paint pop again back to factory, put ceramic paint on it, and then just let it go to car washed like normal and re-do the same full body detail as needed every 1 or 2 years.
Old Yesterday, 11:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by wildta
Just curious why you decided to change it up with a GLS vs getting another X7?

Your DHP comment is interesting, especially how you liked it more than E-ABC. Can you please provide more details on how the two compared, likes/dislikes? Is DHP just BMW's version of active sway bars like Active Ride Control (ARC) on the AMGs? I have a GLE with E-ABC so if someone finds something else that performs better, then I'm all ears. I don't think I'll ever move to an X7, just too small vs the GLS but always good to know what's going on with the competition.

I'm currently renting a GLS with airmatic and so far I'm not a fan of the sport setting, it just doesn't tighten up enough for me which makes me think that if I ever move onto a 3-row, I might have to get the AMG with ARC. I've driven a few. loaner vehicles and test vehicles with Airmatic and ARC and I liked them better than just airmatic. I wish the GLS had an AMG 53 version because like you, I found the I6 perfectly fine in most situations but the AMG would allow to option with ARC like the GLE 53.

So far my rental has been very comfortable to drive (almost 1200 miles over 20 days). I have averaged 27mpg so far. From my GLE at home, I miss the massage seats (seat kinetics), acoustic glass, and the E-ABC; the rental is also missing the 3rd row climate vents (surprised this is an option and not standard on a luxury 3-row), and knowing that yours has the captains chairs on the 2nd row avoids the very slow moving electric 2nd-row seats to move out of the way for 3rd-row passengers to get in/out.

For the spare tire, I'd buy a flower socket and a 24" breaker bar to go with it, and maybe alignment pins.

Sorry to burst your bubble but no full-screen carplay in the pre-facelift; no adapter exists to give you this. You can still get wireless CP with an adapter though. I like this one because it has a USB-C pigtail and it's not dual platform like Carlinkit (AA and CP) which I found to be less reliable - - my experience is with the Android Auto version of that same adapter so YMMV with the CP version.
I haven't studied the differences between DHP and E-ABC or ARC. I didn't drive any E-ABC GLS vehicles this time anyway because I wasn't shopping for the 580 with E-ABC anyway. However, last year I cross-shopped the GLS and X7 at the same time when I wanted to upgrade our X7 with DHP at that time either to another X7 or to GLS. I drove several GLS vehicles back to back with the X7, and one the same road and same trip, the X7 performed always better and absorbed the road imperfections and isolated the bumps much better. I wonder if the Mercedes cameras don't work all the time at all speeds (like slow speeds) and what, but regardless, the X7 was always better. I don't have any scientific explanation or angle to back up my experience, it was just how I felt driving both back to back several times. It was actually one of the main reasons I decided to go again with another X7 at that time, and I did.

As to why I considered the GLS now instead of another X7... It's just the car-guy thing. I never owned a GLS and always always wanted ones, specifically the X167. The previous generation was very similar to the GL we had years ago so I never felt excited for it, but each time I was driving my X7 around, whenever a GLS X167 would pass, I felt that the GLS had great presence on the road. The X7 was just a tiny bit small for us as a family especially when the extended family or parents are here with us, but still it was a great car, but cabin space was another reason. I can't say that the GLS is better, or X7 is better, it's like comparing Samsung to Iphone, both are great, and am glad I get to enjoy a GLS now after driving/owning more than one X7 for a few years already. It's a good change, and I like it. Also given all the issues we had with our new X7, I just wanted a reliable car so I went with the inline 6 cylinder, though I know the 48V system is still a potential risk, but the car has good history with no issues at all.

Thanks for the suggestions. I need a breaker bar for sure. I already have a flower socket that I bought when I had my first W222. Good point about the Carplay fullscreen.. I may have assumed that it will be full-screen, but not for the unit I bought. However, I saw some posts by the same company on this website offering a full screen carplay solution.. I need to search it again unless anyone has some potential options that they tried.
Old Today, 07:51 AM

Received 203 Likes on 164 Posts
'23 GLS450
We seat 6 about 90% of the time for road trips. Couldn't imagine doing it in an X7 vs the current GLS! For luggage space, we do 3 in the 2nd row bench seat and fold one of the 3rd row seats down. Works every time w/o needing a carrier on the roof rack!
Old Today, 11:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by EWL5
We seat 6 about 90% of the time for road trips. Couldn't imagine doing it in an X7 vs the current GLS! For luggage space, we do 3 in the 2nd row bench seat and fold one of the 3rd row seats down. Works every time w/o needing a carrier on the roof rack!
Yeah, 6 seater was a must have for us. The 2nd row seats move really slow in the X7 and also the GLS, so on both cars, I really really wanted the tunnel (captain chairs) for the 2nd row. Plus, with the bench seat, I always felt that the middle seat in the 2nd row is kinda not comfortable for adjust so it's kind of useless sometimes when you have mostly adults traveling around. I had the captain chairs before in 2 of our X7s, and also in our Lincoln Navigator. The good thing about the GLS compared to X7 is that the captain chairs actually do fold completely. In all cases, the tunnel between the chairs allow both kids and or children (and adults who can flex) to use that tunnel to go to the 3rd row without ever folding the captain chair. The bench seat would force you to always wait for the slow moving seat to move out of way..

If we need space, am now thinking of either a hitch cargo carrier (the one that extends from the hitch, no wheels), or a rooftop cargo carrier from Thule (am looking for options to consider for both, hitch option or the rooftop option). I like the hitch option better as it seems to fit more items though I understand the parking limitations with that.
EWL5 (Today)
Old Today, 01:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
I haven't studied the differences between DHP and E-ABC or ARC. I didn't drive any E-ABC GLS vehicles this time anyway because I wasn't shopping for the 580 with E-ABC anyway. However, last year I cross-shopped the GLS and X7 at the same time when I wanted to upgrade our X7 with DHP at that time either to another X7 or to GLS. I drove several GLS vehicles back to back with the X7, and one the same road and same trip, the X7 performed always better and absorbed the road imperfections and isolated the bumps much better. I wonder if the Mercedes cameras don't work all the time at all speeds (like slow speeds) and what, but regardless, the X7 was always better. I don't have any scientific explanation or angle to back up my experience, it was just how I felt driving both back to back several times. It was actually one of the main reasons I decided to go again with another X7 at that time, and I did.

As to why I considered the GLS now instead of another X7... It's just the car-guy thing. I never owned a GLS and always always wanted ones, specifically the X167. The previous generation was very similar to the GL we had years ago so I never felt excited for it, but each time I was driving my X7 around, whenever a GLS X167 would pass, I felt that the GLS had great presence on the road. The X7 was just a tiny bit small for us as a family especially when the extended family or parents are here with us, but still it was a great car, but cabin space was another reason. I can't say that the GLS is better, or X7 is better, it's like comparing Samsung to Iphone, both are great, and am glad I get to enjoy a GLS now after driving/owning more than one X7 for a few years already. It's a good change, and I like it. Also given all the issues we had with our new X7, I just wanted a reliable car so I went with the inline 6 cylinder, though I know the 48V system is still a potential risk, but the car has good history with no issues at all.

Thanks for the suggestions. I need a breaker bar for sure. I already have a flower socket that I bought when I had my first W222. Good point about the Carplay fullscreen.. I may have assumed that it will be full-screen, but not for the unit I bought. However, I saw some posts by the same company on this website offering a full screen carplay solution.. I need to search it again unless anyone has some potential options that they tried.
Thanks for posting about your experiences. I'll have to give DHP a spin when I start shopping for a 3-row even if the X7 passenger room precludes it from the list to begin with.

Regarding the fullscreen carplay carlinkit sells a retrofit box and a few other Chinese vendors, they are all the same and the installation isn't easy. The experience will also be buggy. They work by pushing a sequence of buttons that bypasses the OE system and activates the retrofit box. Here's the best
I've seen on it. In the video, notice how they have to double press every carplay icon to open up the app, this is just one sign of how buggy the retrofit software can be. Some people find fullscreen a must and just deal with the buggy nature of it, I'd rather deal with a smaller carplay projection that's reliable. Maybe it'll get better with future firmware updates but I wouldn't count on it with these vendors.

Last edited by wildta; Today at 02:05 PM.
Old Today, 02:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks for posting about your experiences. I'll have to give DHP a spin when I start shopping for a 3-row even if the X7 passenger room precludes it from the list to begin with.

Regarding the fullscreen carplay carlinkit sells a retrofit box and a few other Chinese vendors, they are all the same and the installation isn't easy. The experience will also be buggy. They work by pushing a sequence of buttons that bypasses the OE system and activates the retrofit box. Here's the best video I've seen on it. In the video, notice how they have to double press every carplay icon to open up the app, this is just one sign of how buggy the retrofit software can be. Some people find fullscreen a must and just deal with the buggy nature of it, I'd rather deal with a smaller carplay projection that's reliable. Maybe it'll get better with future firmware updates but I wouldn't count on it with these vendors.
Yeah I see that they to touch a few times… I wonder if the system by carlinklife Would work better.. I found this link below.
https://carlinklife.com/products/ful...ace-module-box
Old Today, 03:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
Yeah I see that they to touch a few times… I wonder if the system by carlinklife Would work better.. I found this link below.
https://carlinklife.com/products/ful...ace-module-box
It's the same box as the product highlighted on the YouTube video I posted above. I inquired with them and they sent me the exact same video as the one I posted. This same box can also be found on Aliexpress and Temu.

Here's their message and video link that was DM'ed to me:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_tx...w?usp=drivesdk

Last edited by wildta; Today at 03:51 PM.
Old Today, 03:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

This is very useful! Thanks so much. I’ll contact them… with the 100USD discount, I think this is well worth at least a try.
Old Today, 04:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

It's the same box as the product highlighted on the YouTube video I posted above. I inquired with them and they sent me the exact same video as the one I posted. This same box can also be found on Aliexpress and Temu.

Here's their message and video link that was DM'ed to me:

I just contacted them and they claim they never ever gave 100 discounts lol. 30 USD is the best they can offer now
Old Today, 04:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
I just contacted them and they claim they never ever gave 100 discounts lol. 30 USD is the best they can offer now
If you move forward with it, keep us posted on the functionality!