Collectibles, Models and Literature Use this forum to discuss Mercedes-Benz related topics on collectibles, models and literature.

Book for my Dad?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 05:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E320
Book for my Dad?

Hi, I just joined MBWorld today

My Dad is a Mercedes enthusiast. He grew up in Paraguay without a lot of money, but with a dream. He one day acheived that dream and became a doctor and moved to the United States. His first purchase was a Mercedes Benz, and it has been the only type of car he has driven since. He has upgraded every couple of years, always getting the latest S class when he likes that year's model. Right now he is in a 2008.
He has helped me buy 2 MB's so far, and his love for them has passed on to me.

For Christmas this year, I want to get him a really nice coffee-table type book about MB's. either the history, or a picture book...whatever. Only thing is the selection on Amazon seems pretty limited

Can you guys recommend a book like this?

Or perhaps something else someone like this might like for Christmas?

All suggestions are welcome!
Thanks!
Patty
Old 10-12-2009, 09:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
If he's a true reader and interested in obscure historical things about Mercedes, then this book might be interesting for him: "My Father Mr. Mercedes". Jellinek-Mercedes, Guy (translated by Ruth Hassell). G.T. Foulis & Co. Ltd, 1966, 319 pp.

It's hard to find (I got one at a used online bookstore) but it tells the story of Emile Jellinek who named Daimler's car the "Mercedes" (after his daughter.) The book is written by his son. You could also try eBay for a copy.

Here's the story of Jellinek and how the Mercedes car came to be named: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emil_Jellinek

There are TONS of good books out there, btw. Here's an example: http://www.motorbooks.co.uk/showsect.asp?id=102

Or, maybe get him a MBCA membership? It includes the "Star" magazine subscription.

p.s., There's also an interesting DVD on the Mercedes gullwing, John Fitch, and a philosophy of life. You can order it here: http://www.szwedo.com/gullwing.htm

Last edited by 220S; 10-13-2009 at 05:15 PM.
Old 11-09-2009, 10:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1997 E320 (silver/black)
I have lots of Mercedes books.....

and one of my favorites is:

"Daimler & Benz: The Complete History".

The author is Dennis Adler. Book was published in 2006 and publisher is Collins. List price is $34.95. I got my copy at a Border's book store.

Good to see someone thinking of what their father might enjoy.
Old 12-04-2009, 06:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
55 300sl
This is THE BOOK !! A real Treasure

THE FIRST CENTURY Ken Dallison VERY RARE
THE FIRST CENTURY
Portraits in Celebration of the
Daimler-Benz Centennial
1886-1986
by Ken Dallison

PICTURES & WORDS CAN IN NO WAY describe how beautiful this book is!
Includes a letter from Mercedes
This is a "must have" for all owners and lovers of those cars!
Published by Mercedes-Benz of North America, Inc., Montvale, New Jersey in 1986. This Limited Edition of the first century is limited to 2,050 copies, signed and numbered by the artist (Ken Dallison). Of these 2000 copies are numbered 1 to 2,000, and 50 copies, identified as Artist’s Proofs, are numbered 1 to 50. All have been specially bound and boxed. This is copy number 804 of 2000! This leather-bound hardcover book numbers 128 pages, and measures 13x17.5". The book comes with its original cloth bound rigid presentation box which measures 15x18.5x2" and weighs 21Lbs

Questions? Call 619--561-7054
THIS BOOK AND IT'S PRESENTATION BOX ARE IN MINT CONDITION!