Coupe/Roadster
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Would you buy a 2016 GTS again?
Yes
81.82%
No
18.18%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Would you buy a 2016 GT S again?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-18-2016, 04:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
Originally Posted by emericr
There have only been a few on this forum shouting their discontentment with their purchase. The poll is proof that most owners are happy.
MB did it right with a recall on the drivesaft and with Jrcart by taking the vehicle back. 2016AMGGTS needs to follow that same process.
For the others it seems like issues are being resolved by the dealer. Maybe not fast enough but one has to follow the process if the car has minor issues.
There are far worse problems than the ones shared on this forum:
Remember the GT3 engine debacle.
I was going to buy a Z06 ILO GT but the unresolved platform issues are not being properly answered by GM.
I just bought a new GT3 RS...best performing car I have ever owned. Far batter than any of my AMG Black Series. I think you have been on this site long enough to know I don't complain much. I never griped about anything with my pervious AMG's, my GT-S was a legitimate lemon, plagued with problem after problem.

PS, I didn't take my car back, I decided to trade it in on my wifes new GLE a few months ago because the dealer had a buyer looking for an Edition 1 and gave me a great trade figure. I knew I had to get out because the car was just going to be more problematic in the future and GT-S values are going to tank when the standard GT hits the dealerships in a couple months. I simply decided to cut my losses and part ways. Some poor sucker is now stuck with my POS GT-S now.
Old 07-18-2016, 04:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 700 Likes on 533 Posts
R Nine T
Originally Posted by jrcart
I just bought a new GT3 RS...best performing car I have ever owned. Far batter than any of my AMG Black Series. I think you have been on this site long enough to know I don't complain much. I never griped about anything with my pervious AMG's, my GT-S was a legitimate lemon, plagued with problem after problem.

PS, I didn't take my car back, I decided to trade it in on my wifes new GLE a few months ago because the dealer had a buyer looking for an Edition 1 and gave me a great trade figure. I knew I had to get out because the car was just going to be more problematic in the future and GT-S values are going to tank when the standard GT hits the dealerships in a couple months. I simply decided to cut my losses and part ways. Some poor sucker is now stuck with my POS GT-S now.
That's just great man. Good Karma.

I have a real problem with that ....

Last edited by AMG 17GT; 07-18-2016 at 04:28 PM.
Old 07-18-2016, 04:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by AMG 17GT
That's just great man. Good Karma.

I have a real problem with that ....
Karma or not it's really not my problem. I'm sure the new buyer can see the service and warranty history on the car and if not that means MB erased it which is probably illegal. Should I have offered the new buyer an extended warranty? Should I have just held onto the POS myself? How would you have handled it? Seriously, what would you have done if you were in my shoes?
Old 07-18-2016, 04:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R Nine T
Karma or not it's really not my problem. I'm sure the new buyer can see the service and warranty history on the car and if not that means MB erased it which is probably illegal. Should I have offered the new buyer an extended warranty? Should I have just held onto the POS myself? How would you have handled it? Seriously, what would you have done if you were in my shoes?
I think that's the problem with these times. It's not my problem pass it off on somebody else and then it blows up on somebody else.

I would have tried to work through it as best as I could. The history would have been more clear and wouldn't have affected my "trade in value ". I suppose you did what was best for you at the time. I jusT don't like it that's all.
Old 07-18-2016, 04:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts
'14 E63S & '14 Audi SQ5
I think that's the problem with these times. It's not my problem pass it off on somebody else and then it blows up on somebody else.

I would have tried to work through it as best as I could. The history would have been more clear and wouldn't have affected my "trade in value ". I suppose you did what was best for you at the time. I jusT don't like it that's all.
Jim did not do anything wrong. Caveat emptor...especially on used cars. You as the buyer need to do due diligence. I just did it on my recent purchase. Yes, it takes some extra time and energy but it can save you headaches in the future. Plus, the future buyer will have MB backing the remaining warranty. I am not sure what else you want a seller to do in this instance.
Old 07-18-2016, 08:01 PM

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts
'08 CL63

So if you aren't happy with a car, you shouldn't trade it in to a dealer? The same dealer you bought it from.

Nah... just ride it out and continue to be unhappy with your $140k purchase (or any amount, really).

Trading it into the MB dealer gives the next buyer the best protection possible. Not sure what else anyone should reasonably be expected to do.
The following 2 users liked this post by Andy0331:
BERNIE (12-01-2016), jrcart (07-19-2016)
Old 07-18-2016, 08:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R Nine T
Originally Posted by Andy0331
So if you aren't happy with a car, you shouldn't trade it in to a dealer? The same dealer you bought it from.

Nah... just ride it out and continue to be unhappy with your $140k purchase (or any amount, really).

Trading it into the MB dealer gives the next buyer the best protection possible. Not sure what else anyone should reasonably be expected to do.
Yeah "some poor sucker" is buying his car. What is this a joke question? And who are you ?

Last edited by AMG 17GT; 07-18-2016 at 08:58 PM.
Old 07-18-2016, 09:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R Nine T
Originally Posted by TMC M5
Jim did not do anything wrong. Caveat emptor...especially on used carcs. You as the buyer need to do due diligence. I just did it on my recent purchase. Yes, it takes some extra time and energy but it can save you headaches in the future. Plus, the future buyer will have MB backing the remaining warranty. I am not sure what else you want a seller to do in this instance.
So maybe chalk poor sucker buy this on the windshield?

You car guys are brutal. Until you think you are a victim. And then you whine like little girls.

And then you call me
Old 07-18-2016, 09:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts
'14 E63S & '14 Audi SQ5

You car guys are brutal. Until you think you are a victim. And then you whine like little girls.

And then you call me
So a buyer of used car (or any property for that matter) has no personal responsibility to do due diligence on a purchase? There is always a reason why someone is selling a used car and one of the most common reasons is they are getting rid of a headache. That is the risk you run not buying it as factory new. It is easy to look up the service history through MB dealers and most update even the Carfax. And don't worry, I won't whine about a purchase or call you (I take it you are an attorney...and would be surprised if you acted so pious with your clients).
Old 07-18-2016, 11:28 PM

Received 245 Likes on 152 Posts
Designo White AMG GTS
There are almost always a ton of lemons with 1st model year cars, especially German cars. I can understand the frustration of owners that get one. Just consider myself lucky as I haven't had any issues yet.
Old 07-18-2016, 11:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2016 AMG GTS
Well, I guess for starters you could post your VIN (or last four digits or PM me), so that future buyers here can avoid it :-)

Old 07-18-2016, 11:54 PM

2016 AMG GTS
OK, let me take the first step in hopefully making something productive out of the unfortunate problems that some of the lemon owners have experienced. Pls see thread here: https://mbworld.org/forums/amg-gt-gt...wn-lemons.html

TIA for everyone's input, and for keeping things constructive/not personal.
Old 07-19-2016, 10:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The car had only a couple thousand miles on it. It had a full warranty....Mercedes/AMG is on the hook for it not the new buyer and definitely not me. Sorry if you don't like what I did but I have owned a lot of high performance vehicles through the years and can recognize a problem vehicle when I see one. I put my cars to the test more than 99% of sports car owners out there, I track my cars regularly, if one of them is not up to par it's out of my stable for good. When you pay $150k-$300k for a vehicle you expect it to have a certain level of perfection and reliability....if a consumer does not come to expect a certain level of quality and refinement from a $150k+ car what separates an AMG GT-S from say a $28k Subaru BRZ, after all they are both sports cars, right?
The following users liked this post:
ENV² (07-24-2016)
Old 07-19-2016, 10:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Andy0331

Very well stated
Old 07-19-2016, 10:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

And then you call me
Just to be fair please go into so detail as to how you would have handled my situation. keep in mind the car had to get towed back to the dealer the very afternoon that I took delivery. The problems started there and I got hit with a half dozen other issues in just a couple of months time period. Would you honestly be happy with your experience? how long should I have waited to dump the car? Keep in mind I mod most of my cars and I usually void my warranty at some point so knowing that would you be confident to mod your car if it started off showing unreliability from day 1? I honestly had more problems with my GT-S in a couple months than I had with my CLK BS, C BS and SLS BS combined over an 8 year period. Keep in mind all three of those black Series were VERY heavily modded and tracked regularly and still spent less time in the shop than my brand new stock/nearly stock GT-S.

It is fairly evident that you have very limited knowledge of the topic at hand and far less knowledge of me or my vehicle history. My vehicle are cared for better than 99% of cars in the world. They get oil changes and brake fluid changes(and sometimes before), pad and rotors if needed after every track event. Every nut and bolt it checked and torqued to proper factory spec before and after every track event. Every lubricated joint and fitting checked and greased before each event. They are meticulously maintained by my own mechanics(on my company payroll), MB/AMG technicians at the dealer and Weistec's technicians. My cars get driven hard but they car maintained better than ANYONE on this forum and I can guarantee that.
ENV² (07-24-2016)
Old 07-20-2016, 10:28 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
AMG GTS
Most people who have followed my posts know that I have had my fair share of issues with my car. It has spent a total time of over a month at the dealership getting "fixed." I'll admit that my problems haven't been as bad as some others, but they were enough to make me almost sell my car.

At this point though, I voted "yes" that I would buy the car again. Sometimes, you just can't put it into words why, but I know that when I get in that car and drive, something just works for me. It's exhilarating to drive every time. Whether I'm just going to work, or if I'm going to drive some twisty roads, it's awesome. In addition, I think it is one of the best looking cars EVER produced...I'm partial to the Edition 1, but the non-Edition 1 cars are nearly as beautiful.

So, far now, I'll keep driving and smiling....and hoping that I don't have any more problems!
Old 07-20-2016, 10:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMG GTS
Boilerup1998s story sure sounds like the "best or nothing" amirite guys? High five! Crickets....

I know you guys hate me and I'll stop posting soon.

Mercedes told me under no uncertain terms to go **** myself. Carry a quart of oil. I'm supposed to keep a nasty rag to wipe off the dipstick and check my oil a few times per week apparently. Luxury car my ***.

How do I find someone to tear apart the car interior and sound proof it? Who would do such a thing? The creaks and rattles are driving me NUTS! Should I go to just any highly regarded car audio shop? Can I do this for under 2k? 5k?

Mercedes has beaten me and I must accept that, but I now and will forever hate Mercedes Benz. I hate you Dieter Zetsche. Your mustache looks stupid!

Last edited by 2016AMGGTS; 07-20-2016 at 11:22 PM.
Old 07-21-2016, 01:02 PM

2015 CLS63 AMG S, black
Originally Posted by 2016AMGGTS
Boilerup1998s story sure sounds like the "best or nothing" amirite guys? High five! Crickets....

I know you guys hate me and I'll stop posting soon.

Mercedes told me under no uncertain terms to go **** myself. Carry a quart of oil. I'm supposed to keep a nasty rag to wipe off the dipstick and check my oil a few times per week apparently. Luxury car my ***.

How do I find someone to tear apart the car interior and sound proof it? Who would do such a thing? The creaks and rattles are driving me NUTS! Should I go to just any highly regarded car audio shop? Can I do this for under 2k? 5k?

Mercedes has beaten me and I must accept that, but I now and will forever hate Mercedes Benz. I hate you Dieter Zetsche. Your mustache looks stupid!
Lol!!! Hilarious! I know the hate very well. Remember, don't question MB or anger the loyalists with your opinions. All your "problems" are expected normal behavior.
Old 07-21-2016, 03:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 167 Likes on 133 Posts
2021 Porsche TTS
2016AMGlemon: You don't attract bees with vinegar.
If you act like you are doing on the forum with your SA and the SM at your local dealership, no wonder they told you to pound sand...
Why not trying a different approach, be nice and ask another dealer to take a look at your car and more specifically the bell housing.
Taking the common sense approach leads me to believe the oil is going somewhere and with the past experience of others, it is probably a leak somewhere.
Life is 2 short so if you do not want to do this, trade the car and find a new toy.
Just trying to help.
Old 07-21-2016, 04:27 PM

2015 CLS63 AMG S, black
Life is 2 short so if you do not want to do this, trade the car and find a new toy.
Just trying to help.
+1, Sound logic.
Old 07-21-2016, 09:35 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
AMG GTS
2016AMGlemon: You don't attract bees with vinegar.
If you act like you are doing on the forum with your SA and the SM at your local dealership, no wonder they told you to pound sand...
Why not trying a different approach, be nice and ask another dealer to take a look at your car and more specifically the bell housing.
Taking the common sense approach leads me to believe the oil is going somewhere and with the past experience of others, it is probably a leak somewhere.
Just trying to help.
This is great advice. I can tell you that throughout all my ordeals with my GTS, I have been kind, courteous, and as understanding as I can with the people involved. Remember, it's not your dealership or SA's fault that your car is having problems. They didn't design and build it. The only times that I got upset with things is when I thought that my dealership wasn't being my advocate and not trying to make things right. In the end, we walked away with a handshake knowing that we didn't agree on everything, but we'd all done our best to make the best out of the situation we were in. Am I 100% satisfied? No. Is my dealership? Probably not. Do I drive as badass car? You bet!

My advice on the oil smell: I would have the dealership check to see if you have a rear main leak. Multiple people have reported it, so it's a real possibility. It's a PITA to check for it, but I think they owe it to you.
Old 07-22-2016, 02:09 AM

2016 AMG GTS
Hey all, I test drove an Ed One today that has both rattling from the rear area and the loud sound from the front/windshield when going over bumps (I didn't experience the latter, but the owner mentioned it).

Are there technical service bulletin (or whatever their cold they're called) reference numbers that I can provide my local dealership to have these issues fixed?

TIA!
Old 07-22-2016, 07:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 167 Likes on 133 Posts
2021 Porsche TTS
I think I remembered reading that if the dealer calls germany about issues on a GTS, a specific tech is assigned to resolving the issues. I am sure that tech will be able to point the dealer with what to do to fix the 2 common issues you refer to.
Gfunk808 (07-22-2016)
Old 07-22-2016, 11:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMG GTS
I'm going to pay a car audio shop to soundproof the vehicle. **** Mercedes.

I'm only taking the car in for oil fills (hahha it's a ****ing lawn mower!) and actual service lights and obvious and undeniable warranty claims. I live next door to the dealership and I refuse to drive across town.

My question is the following: if the dealership hates you and you take your car in for service A. Is there any chance the dealership will sabatoge the car or not complete the service and just say they did? How can I be sure they actually did everything they're supposed to do?

Btw when I took the car in today for oil the SA tried to shame me for putting 8k miles on the car. "We haven't seen another GTS with more than 2500 miles on it." My response was that this car competes with the 911 and is billed as a daily driver. It's not like it's a 458 Italia or something. Ohhhhhh it's too nice to drive! **** you Mercedes.

Last edited by 2016AMGGTS; 07-22-2016 at 11:29 PM.
Old 07-23-2016, 12:41 PM

2015 CLS63 AMG S, black
Originally Posted by 2016AMGGTS
I'm going to pay a car audio shop to soundproof the vehicle. **** Mercedes.

I'm only taking the car in for oil fills (hahha it's a ****ing lawn mower!) and actual service lights and obvious and undeniable warranty claims. I live next door to the dealership and I refuse to drive across town.

My question is the following: if the dealership hates you and you take your car in for service A. Is there any chance the dealership will sabatoge the car or not complete the service and just say they did? How can I be sure they actually did everything they're supposed to do?

Btw when I took the car in today for oil the SA tried to shame me for putting 8k miles on the car. "We haven't seen another GTS with more than 2500 miles on it." My response was that this car competes with the 911 and is billed as a daily driver. It's not like it's a 458 Italia or something. Ohhhhhh it's too nice to drive! **** you Mercedes.
So I asked you in another thread why you don't get rid of the car and you never responded. Money is not an excuse. Keeping a car thats driving you crazy because you'll lose 40-60 thousand just makes no sense. Either start the lemon process or trade it in at a Porsche dealer or whatever manufacturer you like. I'm starting to think you really like the car. Maybe there's a hot girl at the MB service department and this car and its imaginary problems are an excuse to go there? Someone already told you what to check about the leaking oil and you haven't even addressed whether you checked it. It's like you're not here for a solution.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Would you buy a 2016 GT S again?