Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problems with Initial Batch of GT S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-08-2016, 02:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problems with Initial Batch of GT S

I see problems with the early initial batches of GT S being mentioned casually here and there. Are they similar and specific problems (e.g. oil consumption) or totally random ranging from mechanical to fit and finish build quality issues? Has these problems been mostly resolved?

Considering a GT for weekend fun and as casual DD by the fiancee, any comments or advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 10-08-2016, 03:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 700 Likes on 533 Posts
R Nine T
Not to put you off But, There is a wealth of information in these threads just read through them.

Bottom line is they have isolated a lot of first car problems. None were fit and finish. Later cars and 17s look solid.
Old 10-08-2016, 04:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 538 Likes on 337 Posts
2024 AMG G63
Originally Posted by SL1200MK4
I see problems with the early initial batches of GT S being mentioned casually here and there. Are they similar and specific problems (e.g. oil consumption) or totally random ranging from mechanical to fit and finish build quality issues? Has these problems been mostly resolved?

Considering a GT for weekend fun and as casual DD by the fiancee, any comments or advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
GO FOR IT!!

Virtually all of the initial launch problems are resolved (pre July 2015 manufacture date). NONE were catasrophic. There are some small irritating items that pop up on occasion but nothing that would be reason to not buy any GT or GTS.

As you will read the car is very enjoyable to drive.

Regards

Last edited by JSwan724; 10-09-2016 at 06:18 PM.
Old 10-09-2016, 05:45 PM

Thanks guys. Initially I was going to order a 2017 AMG GT (non-S), but a dealership here got stuck with a 16 GT S that has a color combo and options that's difficult to move and winter is coming soon up here in Canada.

If the price is right, I will take the GT S in inventory. Just thought I had better check with the forum here.
Old 10-09-2016, 11:24 PM

Received 57 Likes on 49 Posts
2017 AMG GT S
Thanks guys. Initially I was going to order a 2017 AMG GT (non-S), but a dealership here got stuck with a 16 GT S that has a color combo and options that's difficult to move and winter is coming soon up here in Canada.

If the price is right, I will take the GT S in inventory. Just thought I had better check with the forum here.
Just curious, what is that color combo and options that's difficult to move ?

Also, I am thinking whether the premium sound system upgrade is worth it ? if someone who had compared the difference can answer this question
Old 10-10-2016, 12:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 S

Winter is Already in Canada... 5 inch of snow...lol

Probably the Solarbeam colour? Tough colour to sell in Canada....
Old 10-10-2016, 09:31 PM

The car that I was referring to is actually gorgeous and the exact exterior and interior color that I would order for myself, but with some caveats.

Metallic Blue with Red Brake Calipers and Black Y-Spoke Wheels

Highly subjective, but not everyone likes the "superman" color scheme with the red brake caliper. The black rims further accentuates that.

I would paint the brake caliper black or maybe yellow if I end up getting that car. If I order mine, I will go with the 5-spoke rims and silver caliper.

Exclusive White Nappa Leather with Silver Seatbelts

Personally I prefer the black seat belt or even red for the contrast. Silver looks a little dirty again the white.

Again very subjective and I can live with it, but the white leather alone will scare many buyers away.

CF Exterior Package & CF Interior Package

That adds a substantial sum to the price without much tangible benefits. Definitely makes the car harder to move. The piano black interior trim looks so much classier, albeit very high maintenance.

Burmester 3D Surround Sound System

That's another very expensive option that most people ain't willing to pay for.

AMG Performance Steering Wheel
Not everyone likes Alcantara, I especial don't like the fact that this is the partial Antarctica one.

No AMG Track Package

A bit like the Sport Chrono on a Porsche with PDK. I rather have it than without.

No Distronic Plus

If I am going to give up the pleasure of operating the clutch myself. Might as well have the car help me out with the throttle and brake when I am in traffic.

Perhaps many people will disagree with me, but thought I had share. It is also true that the car has been sitting there.
Old 10-13-2016, 05:02 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2016 AMG GTS, 2015 GLA45 AMG
The car that I was referring to is actually gorgeous and the exact exterior and interior color that I would order for myself, but with some caveats.

Metallic Blue with Red Brake Calipers and Black Y-Spoke Wheels

Highly subjective, but not everyone likes the "superman" color scheme with the red brake caliper. The black rims further accentuates that.

I would paint the brake caliper black or maybe yellow if I end up getting that car. If I order mine, I will go with the 5-spoke rims and silver caliper.

Exclusive White Nappa Leather with Silver Seatbelts

Personally I prefer the black seat belt or even red for the contrast. Silver looks a little dirty again the white.

Again very subjective and I can live with it, but the white leather alone will scare many buyers away.

CF Exterior Package & CF Interior Package

That adds a substantial sum to the price without much tangible benefits. Definitely makes the car harder to move. The piano black interior trim looks so much classier, albeit very high maintenance.

Burmester 3D Surround Sound System

That's another very expensive option that most people ain't willing to pay for.

AMG Performance Steering Wheel
Not everyone likes Alcantara, I especial don't like the fact that this is the partial Antarctica one.

No AMG Track Package

A bit like the Sport Chrono on a Porsche with PDK. I rather have it than without.

No Distronic Plus

If I am going to give up the pleasure of operating the clutch myself. Might as well have the car help me out with the throttle and brake when I am in traffic.

Perhaps many people will disagree with me, but thought I had share. It is also true that the car has been sitting there.
The white leather interior would be a dealbreaker for me. I would never purchase a car with hey white leather interior. However if leasing the car I would just drive it like you stole it and not give a crap