Coupe/Roadster
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust Blew, replaced, now gearing is off.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-06-2016, 12:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 AMG GTS/ P71
Exhaust Blew, replaced, now gearing is off.

Hello gents,

My exhaust blew out on the way back to LA from a trip to San Diego. It went during a 35mph lane change. I had revved it and opened it up here and there on the freeway when safe, but I was suprised to hear one single loud bang from the the exhaust .

Immediately after, the throttle and note sounded very muted in sports+ mode. More muted than comfort mode usually sounds. Mercedes replaced the exhaust but the gearing is off. It shifts up in gear far too early and is very light instead of aggressive. It used to ride the gear a little and even idle sounded aggressive. That's all gone now. I can replicate it in manual mode but MB want to keep the car for 3 days to figure it out. They don't seem to know what it is.

In researching, a few have suggested resetting the ECU and TCU. Any thoughts on that? Also, I haven't found instructions online on how to do that specific to the GTS. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-06-2016, 07:44 AM

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Ml63
Originally Posted by hwoarang
Hello gents,

My exhaust blew out on the way back to LA from a trip to San Diego. It went during a 35mph lane change. I had revved it and opened it up here and there on the freeway when safe, but I was suprised to hear one single loud bang from the the exhaust .

Immediately after, the throttle and note sounded very muted in sports+ mode. More muted than comfort mode usually sounds. Mercedes replaced the exhaust but the gearing is off. It shifts up in gear far too early and is very light instead8 of aggressive. It used to ride the gear a little and even idle sounded aggressive. That's all gone now. I can replicate it in manual mode but MB want to keep the car for 3 days to figure it out. They don't seem to know what it is.

In researching, a few have suggested resetting the ECU and TCU. Any thoughts on that? Also, I haven't found instructions online on how to do that specific to the GTS. Thanks in advance.

It's unfortunate to continue to hear about these problems especially with the 16MY. For the money you paid, you shouldn't have to do anything. Take it to the dealer and let them fix it.

If they can't fix it and you bought the car new, start the process of having them take the car back. Unfortunately it will not be the first one or the last one.

Good luck!
Old 11-06-2016, 11:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 538 Likes on 337 Posts
2024 AMG G63
Hello gents,

Immediately after, the throttle and note sounded very muted in sports+ mode. More muted than comfort mode usually sounds. Mercedes replaced the exhaust but the gearing is off. It shifts up in gear far too early and is very light instead of aggressive. It used to ride the gear a little and even idle sounded aggressive. That's all gone now. I can replicate it in manual mode but MB want to keep the car for 3 days to figure it out. They don't seem to know what it is.

What's the manufacture date (drivers side door sill)?

How many miles do you have on your GTS?

Have you had any ECU updates to date? A reflash installs the latest of everything released to date.

Have you had your Service A done?

Last edited by JSwan724; 11-06-2016 at 11:04 AM.
Old 11-06-2016, 12:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 AMG GTS/ P71
Originally Posted by JSwan724
What's the manufacture date (drivers side door sill)?

How many miles do you have on your GTS?

Have you had any ECU updates to date? A reflash installs the latest of everything released to date.

Have you had your Service A done?
Thanks for the responses. 1,200 miles at the moment. I drove it pretty easy for the first 1k. As soon as I got it, there was a check engine light. Took it back in and it needed a software update. I don't think they updated anything after the new exhaust was installed.

One of the coils also wasn't firing so they fixed that too.

It's too early for service A. Will doing the ECU reset help (start button push, hold the gas etc)?
Old 11-06-2016, 04:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 538 Likes on 337 Posts
2024 AMG G63
Thanks for the responses. 1,200 miles at the moment. I drove it pretty easy for the first 1k. As soon as I got it, there was a check engine light. Took it back in and it needed a software update. I don't think they updated anything after the new exhaust was installed.

One of the coils also wasn't firing so they fixed that too.

It's too early for service A. Will doing the ECU reset help (start button push, hold the gas etc)?

Making an accurate assessment is difficult at best since I am not near the car.

The techs should be able to run diagnostics, pull any codes including CEL's and determine if you need a total ECU refresh. These updates affect the engine AND the transmission operation.

There are issues like, cam sensors, coil packs, timing etc that could be in play. BUT the diagnostics should turn up the real culprits. If not, please don't hesitate to request that the dealer escalate the issue to a AMG factory tech to come and resolve the issues.

Please let us know what the solutions are.

BTW: What is your Manufacture Date?

Regards

Last edited by JSwan724; 11-09-2016 at 03:01 PM.
Old 11-09-2016, 01:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
Did they do a software update when the car was in for service? Your ECU might just need some time to adapt.
Old 11-09-2016, 02:09 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2016 Mercedes AMG GTs 2015 Corvette Z06 2022 Lamborghini Huracan STO
I have to wonder how these exhausts will hold up to the backfiring on deceleration. Sounds fantastic but would seem hard on the system.