AMG GT S - Exhaust Rattle

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-16-2016, 09:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMG GT S
AMG GT S - Exhaust Rattle

Hi Guys,

so i wrote a thread last week about how my car came back from service and the performance exhaust was considerably more quiet.

i took the car back to the dealer today and they said to me that some of the earlier cars (including mine) had a rattle in the exhaust which the service fixed with a software update, and there is nothing wrong with my car.

i did not view this "rattle" as anything wrong with my car, but my car is completely muted at lower speeds compared with how it was. also in Sport+ mode it usually pops and bangs and it still does but nowhere near as much.

i don't really know what to do now, as i feel the car has lost so much of the aural experience, but mercedes says there is nothing wrong with it.

anyone have a similar experience or any advice?

Thanks in advance,

Kind Regards
Old 11-16-2016, 10:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 538 Likes on 337 Posts
2024 AMG G63
Originally Posted by benjy23
Hi Guys,

so i wrote a thread last week about how my car came back from service and the performance exhaust was considerably more quiet.

i took the car back to the dealer today and they said to me that some of the earlier cars (including mine) had a rattle in the exhaust which the service fixed with a software update, and there is nothing wrong with my car.

i did not view this "rattle" as anything wrong with my car, but my car is completely muted at lower speeds compared with how it was. also in Sport+ mode it usually pops and bangs and it still does but nowhere near as much.

i don't really know what to do now, as i feel the car has lost so much of the aural experience, but mercedes says there is nothing wrong with it.

anyone have a similar experience or any advice?

Thanks in advance,

Kind Regards

I assume you have the console button pushed when you are in comfort mode.

My understanding is that this issue required the flap (hardware) to be replaced.

A little aggressive driving with the flap open should get the system back to "talking to you".
Old 11-16-2016, 11:03 AM

AMG GT S
Thanks for the response! so you think they replaced the flaps and i should take it for a spirited drive to get them to loosen? would that make it sound normal again?
Old 11-16-2016, 11:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
Thanks for the response! so you think they replaced the flaps and i should take it for a spirited drive to get them to loosen? would that make it sound normal again?
About half of the 2016 GT's and about 25% of the C63S with sport exhaust option had exhaust butterfly valves fail. They need to be replaced and the dealer should have received a service bulletin on the issue. The service bulletin campaign number was posted on the PL. The dealership should know what to do and it is a warrantied item. When mine failed I was surprised to find out that the dealership actually had the part in stock even though at the time my dealership had only sold a couple of GT's, that tells me that it's very wide spread and they are expecting most dealerships to see the problem arise with customers cars.
Old 11-16-2016, 11:29 AM

AMG GT S
Originally Posted by jrcart
About half of the 2016 GT's and about 25% of the C63S with sport exhaust option had exhaust butterfly valves fail. They need to be replaced and the dealer should have received a service bulletin on the issue. The service bulletin campaign number was posted on the PL. The dealership should know what to do and it is a warrantied item. When mine failed I was surprised to find out that the dealership actually had the part in stock even though at the time my dealership had only sold a couple of GT's, that tells me that it's very wide spread and they are expecting most dealerships to see the problem arise with customers cars.
Thanks for your reply, thats good to know. when they fixed yours was the sound just as loud or did you have the same problem as me where it was muted?

Kind Regards
Old 11-16-2016, 11:38 AM

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
2016 AMG GTS ED1, 2013 C63 P31 Coupe
I had this issue on my '16 ED1. Took it to the dealership and due to the TSB, they replaced the entire exhaust. No more rattles!
Old 11-16-2016, 11:39 AM

AMG GT S
Originally Posted by sonystyle02
I had this issue on my '16 ED1. Took it to the dealership and due to the TSB, they replaced the entire exhaust. No more rattles!
Was it still as loud as before when you would turn on the exhaust button?
Old 11-16-2016, 11:48 AM

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
2016 AMG GTS ED1, 2013 C63 P31 Coupe
Was it still as loud as before when you would turn on the exhaust button?
Didn't notice any difference in volume before/after. 2wks later I added a downpipe and well, she's a bit more vocal now.
Old 11-17-2016, 11:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
Thanks for your reply, thats good to know. when they fixed yours was the sound just as loud or did you have the same problem as me where it was muted?

Kind Regards
After the fix it was fine, as good as factory new, quiet when closed, nice throaty growl when open.
Old 11-22-2016, 01:07 PM

2016 AMG GT S, 2015 GL550 & 2013 ML550
Where can I find all TSB for AMG GT S? Thanks in advance!
Old 04-19-2020, 01:06 PM

Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts
Solarbeam Yellow 2016 AMG GTS
Evidence in WIS of fault

Kind Regards
there is evidence in MB WIS about a recall on this issue. Coincidentally, my GTS is the first one that had the issue fixed from the factory given the list of VINs in WIS that were eligible for the recall. Mine ends in ...663. So ...662 still had the issue.