OEM Spoiler disable?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-10-2018, 02:13 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
07 CLS 63 09 GL550, 98 Honda Prelude, 08 Honda Civic...yes too many cars
Originally Posted by Slow GTS
Yeah I had to pay to get it sorted it out. Took over a month. You want answers, you'll have to pay just like I did. Wether it be paying me me or someone else. It'd be nice to recoup my investment.

I don't remember anyone here helping me get the spoiler installed.

Wow I have never seen someone this hard up for cash that owns a 150k car...hilarious...hope he is permanently booted from these boards.
The following 2 users liked this post by djquix:
Solo wing (10-05-2021), x96535 (02-22-2020)
Old 10-03-2018, 08:42 PM

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
AMG GTS
So to continue this thread, I'm in the same boat.

1 solution that I have read about and seen done, is to remove the OEM spoiler, and the motor unit. Affix the new base plate and reattach the motor to it. The motor has an actuator on it that moves the OEM spoiler lip. Simply do not connect the actuator arm to anything. The hall sensor from what I understand detects the movement of the actuator arm, so as long as the arm is free to move, the car won't report any error with the position of the wing and no speed limit will be invoked.

Reassemble and from there, should be fine with no codes. The only drawback is that you will hear the motor move at 120 km/hr and the same when slowing down but this isn't a big issue for me.

I'm about to attempt to install my wing now. I will video the process and the upload results. Hopefully this will provide a simple avenue for people going about this mod.
The following users liked this post:
sno (10-04-2018)
Old 10-03-2018, 08:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 220 Likes on 156 Posts
2018 Solarbeam Yellow AMG GTS
Great ! Look forward to the video
Old 10-03-2018, 08:52 PM

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
AMG GT
Originally Posted by dasUberSoldat
So to continue this thread, I'm in the same boat.

1 solution that I have read about and seen done, is to remove the OEM spoiler, and the motor unit. Affix the new base plate and reattach the motor to it. The motor has an actuator on it that moves the OEM spoiler lip. Simply do not connect the actuator arm to anything. The hall sensor from what I understand detects the movement of the actuator arm, so as long as the arm is free to move, the car won't report any error with the position of the wing and no speed limit will be invoked.

Reassemble and from there, should be fine with no codes. The only drawback is that you will hear the motor move at 120 km/hr and the same when slowing down but this isn't a big issue for me.

I'm about to attempt to install my wing now. I will video the process and the upload results. Hopefully this will provide a simple avenue for people going about this mod.
I just did this and u dont hear the motor move at all. This seems to be the best way to put a wing on a non wing car unless u can find a dealer to code it for u but I checked with 2 diff dealers and they never even bothered getting back to me.
The following users liked this post:
dasUberSoldat (10-03-2018)
Old 10-03-2018, 09:02 PM

AMG GTS
Thanks, thats good to know. The only question I have, is what do you do with this stuff?

Old 10-03-2018, 09:15 PM

AMG GT
Thanks, thats good to know. The only question I have, is what do you do with this stuff?
Not a 100% sure but I know when I installed my wing u have to plug up the existing drains(they wont work anymore) and I had to apply silicone to front and back edges around holes etc so water would not leak in trunk. So maybee they want u to use that to seal trunk area from water???
What wing did u purchase there are no directions I am assuming??
Old 10-03-2018, 09:21 PM

AMG GTS
Originally Posted by cproGT
What wing did u purchase there are no directions I am assuming??
Edition 1 wing from tuning empire. Mate and I bought the kit together. I'm going to do it on my car first, then when I know what I'm doing I'll make a video on the 2nd car.

This boot trim is tricky to get off, feels like I'm going to snap it.
Old 10-03-2018, 09:27 PM

AMG GT
If u mean on inside just pull with even pressure it won't break
Old 10-04-2018, 06:35 AM

AMG GTS
ok, all done! Conversion was a success and no codes. Next week ill do my mates car and record it, then post the video. Thanks all.

The following 2 users liked this post by dasUberSoldat:
908ssp (04-18-2020), x96535 (02-22-2020)
Old 10-04-2018, 07:15 AM

AMG GT
ok, all done! Conversion was a success and no codes. Next week ill do my mates car and record it, then post the video. Thanks all.

Looks good.
Not to hard to install right?
Old 10-04-2018, 08:30 AM
sno

Received 147 Likes on 105 Posts
EQE 350+, EQS 450+, AMG C63
very cool and I love the collaboration. I'm glad mine came with wing so I can change it easily...
Old 10-04-2018, 11:43 AM

AMG GT

So was the foam for sealing out the rain?
Old 10-04-2018, 05:27 PM

AMG GTS
Yes it was. The oem base plate had the same stuff, and there is a channel cut into the new base to follow. Ended up looking like this. When you screw the base plate in, it creates quite a good seal.

Old 10-14-2018, 11:42 PM

AMG GTS
Ok well, all done.

I'm not a mechanic so I can't say this is the best way to install the wing. If you can get Merc to code the wing motor out, then you can skip a whole bunch of steps and the job is way easier. Sadly in Australia they dont seem to want to do that.

The way I did the water leak prevention could be done better too, but I'll leave that up to the person on the day.

Hope this helps someone. Also I demand payment, because Slow GTS seems like a good guy.

The following 7 users liked this post by dasUberSoldat:
C43_AMG_NJ (03-22-2019), daybx (10-15-2018), DesignoCab (11-09-2018), Orcbolg (03-01-2019), sno (10-15-2018), x96535 (02-22-2020), xbox (10-15-2018) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-15-2018, 02:08 AM

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts
G63 & 991.2 GT3 & AMG GT
Thumbs up

Ok well, all done.

I'm not a mechanic so I can't say this is the best way to install the wing. If you can get Merc to code the wing motor out, then you can skip a whole bunch of steps and the job is way easier. Sadly in Australia they dont seem to want to do that.

The way I did the water leak prevention could be done better too, but I'll leave that up to the person on the day.

Hope this helps someone. Also I demand payment, because Slow GTS seems like a good guy.

Good man

What a great job - thanks for making time to do the video.
Old 10-15-2018, 05:38 AM

AMG GT
Ok well, all done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Zq_7OAxnX4

Great Job! I couple things I did when Installing a My aftermarket rear wing I used a thin bead of silicone to seal out any water from getting in the trunk Also it seems Mercedes will not let any dealers code out error messages or speed limit controls when installing a wing on a non wing car. Dont know any reason for this but I talked with 2 diff dealers and one of them had told me that and another did not even get back to me at all.
Awesome job on making the video!!
The checks in the mail!!!
Old 10-15-2018, 11:56 AM
sno

Received 147 Likes on 105 Posts
EQE 350+, EQS 450+, AMG C63
great video! I have a wing already on there but being able to see what was under there and how it came off is a huge help. I have another wing on order should be soon... great job!
Old 10-22-2018, 04:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GTS
Originally Posted by cproGT
Great Job! I couple things I did when Installing a My aftermarket rear wing I used a thin bead of silicone to seal out any water from getting in the trunk Also it seems Mercedes will not let any dealers code out error messages or speed limit controls when installing a wing on a non wing car. Dont know any reason for this but I talked with 2 diff dealers and one of them had told me that and another did not even get back to me at all.
Awesome job on making the video!!
The checks in the mail!!!
So does that mean you live with an error light? Assuming you didn't re-install the motor etc under your aftermarket wing??
Old 10-23-2018, 06:46 PM

AMG GT
Originally Posted by DialDforDan
So does that mean you live with an error light? Assuming you didn't re-install the motor etc under your aftermarket wing??
No I did re install motor on after market wing there were existing screw studs in the carbon fiber base so motor was plugged in and bolted down
Old 11-07-2018, 08:54 PM

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
AMG GT S
Ok well, all done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Zq_7OAxnX4

Awesome video.

So if you don't hookup the motor and manage to get a dealership to clear the code, it won't throw another code if you hit the wing up button or start going fast where it normally auto-deploys?
Old 05-27-2019, 12:02 AM

Received 81 Likes on 38 Posts
AMG GTS
Just an update on the disable. When you short the two wires as I mentioned previously, it will work to disable the issue with the car limiting your top speed. However, once in a while, you will get a message saying spoiler malfunction but it will not limit your top speed as the car thinks the spoiler is stuck open and not closed.

Here's what I installed.

Old 05-27-2019, 11:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 383 Likes on 238 Posts
2010 Irridium Silver MB C63 AMG Sedan
^^^I actually really like it! Nice job!! Looks aggressive and really fits the cars look
Old 05-27-2019, 02:15 PM

Received 192 Likes on 147 Posts
/////PRO
Originally Posted by Rausky
Awesome video.

So if you don't hookup the motor and manage to get a dealership to clear the code, it won't throw another code if you hit the wing up button or start going fast where it normally auto-deploys?
IF you don’t hook up the motor, AND you get the dealer to code out the active aero, you don’t need to do anything else you are good.
The issue many miss, in order for dealer to code it out, they MUST open a case with MB Germany, OR have a great relationship with someone over there willing to get in a bit of trouble if caught circumventing the procedures. This is quite the process, and 9 times out of 10, you don’t want this open case associated with your car.
Old 05-27-2019, 02:19 PM

/////PRO
Originally Posted by ronac
Just an update on the disable. When you short the two wires as I mentioned previously, it will work to disable the issue with the car limiting your top speed. However, once in a while, you will get a message saying spoiler malfunction but it will not limit your top speed as the car thinks the spoiler is stuck open and not closed.

Here's what I installed.

Correct on the “jumper” method. Having that error message drove me nuts, hate dealing with little annoyances like that on a nice car (even though all you have to do is hit “OK” on steering wheel and it goes away, sits in your menu message center usually until next start). So I got really creative, and came up with a unique solution. Motor still plugged in and running so car is completely happy, and didn’t mount it all to underside of new wing base so don’t have to worry about a future rattle trap from that, that most turn into down the road!
Old 05-27-2019, 02:20 PM

/////PRO
Originally Posted by ronac

Here's what I installed.

@ronac, love your initiative and creating something unique, professional looking fit wise, and functional. Well done.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: OEM Spoiler disable?