Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-09-2017, 02:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 706 Likes on 535 Posts
R Nine T
Originally Posted by Kreuzfeuer
Nice run!!

Check the DA as well, that airstrip is already thousands of feet up. When I ran in 2013 the DA was like 3800 feet... huge power killer.
Great point. Emeric thought so as well. Car did seem anemic at end of run.

I forgot to try the HOLD, switch to manual and shift early method. And I didn't knock down the spoiler. With a little more traction I thing 3 more mph is possible sea level.
Old 05-09-2017, 03:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
Originally Posted by AMG 17GT
Great day at Heavens Landing in Clayton Ga! There were all kinds of cars and car nuts out there. Great fun.

So here's my slip

Attachment 354202

I'm satisfied with that time, as traction again was an issue. I did run a Huracan and I was 1 mph faster in both 1/4 and 1/2. He was not happy that car Will jump at start but I crawled closer until end.
Nice runs! I was almost spot on when I said you would go 150+/- mph in the 1/2. I believe I also stated the you will usually pick up 20mph or so over your 1/4 mile trap speed...but what do I know
Old 05-09-2017, 03:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R Nine T
Yes JR you were correct, but you said 20-25 mph over and I wanted the latter range
Old 05-09-2017, 03:12 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
SRT-6
Great point. Emeric thought so as well. Car did seem anemic at end of run.

I forgot to try the HOLD, switch to manual and shift early method. And I didn't knock down the spoiler. With a little more traction I thing 3 more mph is possible sea level.
It's definitely a thing. In general, your half-mile MPH should be ~25 mph more than your quarter-mile trap speed. That "second quarter mile" which makes up the full half goes by very quickly. But if the DA sucks (and it always does at Clayton), then that number could be more like ~20... especially if the track you normally race has a DA of around 600.

That's why MIR is such a fast track. Negative DA is not uncommon in early/late year, so the lower the DA, the more power you make.

And it seems counter-intuitive, but a little spin in the half-mile actually boosts your overall MPH. When I did my runs in 2013, the two fastest MPH readings were from my two worst launches. If I nailed the launch, the speed was one or two MPH slower.

Door mirrors, if they can be folded in, will add ~2 mph to the overall figure. If they can be removed altogether, bump that up to ~3 mph.

The right lane at Clayton is the fastest one, as it doesn't have that unsettling "dip" at the 2,000 foot mark.

Little things add up.
Old 05-09-2017, 03:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R Nine T
It's definitely a thing. In general, your half-mile MPH should be ~25 mph more than your quarter-mile trap speed. That "second quarter mile" which makes up the full half goes by very quickly. But if the DA sucks (and it always does at Clayton), then that number could be more like ~20... especially if the track you normally race has a DA of around 600.

That's why MIR is such a fast track. Negative DA is not uncommon in early/late year, so the lower the DA, the more power you make.

And it seems counter-intuitive, but a little spin in the half-mile actually boosts your overall MPH. When I did my runs in 2013, the two fastest MPH readings were from my two worst launches. If I nailed the launch, the speed was one or two MPH slower.

Door mirrors, if they can be folded in, will add ~2 mph to the overall figure. If they can be removed altogether, bump that up to ~3 mph.

The right lane at Clayton is the fastest one, as it doesn't have that unsettling "dip" at the 2,000 foot mark.

Little things add up.
Yes that left lane had some water.

Completely missed the mirror folding. Between that and spoiler that could have got me where I wanted. There was a lot of wind noise. Good points. Shiite!

Will be going in September if your around.

Last edited by AMG 17GT; 05-09-2017 at 03:17 PM.
Old 05-09-2017, 03:23 PM

SRT-6
Yes that left lane had some water.

Completely missed the mirror folding. Between that and spoiler that could have got me where I wanted. Good points. Shiite!

Will be going in September if your around.
Absolutely!! Although, when the spoiler is doing its work, it keeps the shiny side up...

But if the car is still stable at ~150 w/o the spoiler deployed, then yes -- that would definitely add a few MPH. There was an Ultima GTR running in 2013, he had a HUGE park bench spoiler on the back. He removed it and gained like 7 mph (!!!), but had a pucker moment when he applied the brakes at the end. There's always a trade-off

I'll try my best to make it down there that weekend, even though I'll most likely be spectating. It's absolutely the best venue on the WGF calendar for spectators. Would love to see your car in action
Old 05-09-2017, 03:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yes JR you were correct, but you said 20-25 mph over and I wanted the latter range
Some duct tape over your upper grill opening and tucking your mirrors in and you would have picked up at least 3mph on the back end. I've run so many of these 1/2 mile and 1 mile events I've got all sorts of little things I've figured out. Since these are not timed events you actually want some wheelspin on the front end, wheelspin(to a degree) will result in a higher trap speed on the back end. Still nice runs and right where you should be. It's fun running in a safe controlled environment, just frustrating when spend more time waiting in staging lines than on the track. I attended the first No Fly Zone Half Mile event in California a few years ago, there was only about 50 cars, it was great, I had my CLK BS and C63 BS there a buddy was driving the C63 and I was piloting the CLK, we are able to make 15-18 passes in each car, it was a great time, lots of head to head match-ups lots of run time.
The following users liked this post:
emericr (05-10-2017)
Old 05-09-2017, 03:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R Nine T

I'm getting 156 then in September. JB C 63s err John, that's your number.
Old 05-09-2017, 10:55 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2016 GTS, 2016 GLE, 2013 SLK55, 2015 GLA, 2015 GLK, 2014 E350, 2013 GLK
Challenge accepted. Elevation 163' for me. And I wont forget the spoiler.
Old 05-10-2017, 12:31 AM

SRT-6

I'm getting 156 then in September. JB C 63s err John, that's your number.
Get your act together and you'll easily nail 158
Old 05-10-2017, 09:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Little things add up.
20-25 mph pick up on the back end of the 1/2 is the range you will see for a car with this type of hp. A head wind or cross wind can cost you 3-5mph. As you mentioned DA plays an obvious roll as well but that is minimal in a forced induction powered vehicle. I've run a dozen or more of these airstrip events and I have seen my mph fluctuate from a Saturday to a Sunday by 5mph with no changes to the car. I would not be alarmed that he only saw a 20mph pick up, that is normal and well within the range I would expect.
Old 05-10-2017, 10:09 AM

SRT-6
Originally Posted by jrcart
20-25 mph pick up on the back end of the 1/2 is the range you will see for a car with this type of hp. A head wind or cross wind can cost you 3-5mph. As you mentioned DA plays an obvious roll as well but that is minimal in a forced induction powered vehicle. I've run a dozen or more of these airstrip events and I have seen my mph fluctuate from a Saturday to a Sunday by 5mph with no changes to the car. I would not be alarmed that he only saw a 20mph pick up, that is normal and well within the range I would expect.
Good points, as you said there are many variables that can come into play. It's not as simple as DA -- it's more like DA, weight, coefficient of drag, headwind/tailwind, tape versus no tape, etc.

I'm still learning, hoping to hit a few of the WGF events in 2018 to build a data bank comparing same car in multiple environments. My car will be naturally aspirated so the delta should be pretty wide depending on DA.

Unrelated to speed, but related to WGF -- How did you like the vendor situation at Clayton this year, AMG 17GT? I heard they clamped down on food being brought in, but supposedly they brought in several food trucks.
Old 05-10-2017, 11:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R Nine T
Good points, as you said there are many variables that can come into play. It's not as simple as DA -- it's more like DA, weight, coefficient of drag, headwind/tailwind, tape versus no tape, etc.

I'm still learning, hoping to hit a few of the WGF events in 2018 to build a data bank comparing same car in multiple environments. My car will be naturally aspirated so the delta should be pretty wide depending on DA.

Unrelated to speed, but related to WGF -- How did you like the vendor situation at Clayton this year, AMG 17GT? I heard they clamped down on food being brought in, but supposedly they brought in several food trucks.
Learning here as well.

There were food trucks and an open grill. Hotdogs hamburger chicken etc. Let's just say I'm bringing my own next time
Old 05-10-2017, 12:37 PM

SRT-6
Learning here as well.

There were food trucks and an open grill. Hotdogs hamburger chicken etc. Let's just say I'm bringing my own next time
Eeeesh, not good. I think their crackdown on coolers was due to waste... but who knows. At the end of the day, it IS a residential private airstrip, and the general public doesn't grasp the concept of being respectful.

If I don't eat that day, is that 1 mph?
Old 05-10-2017, 12:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

another little secret is to air up on your tire psi, especially up front. Since the tires will be cold when you make your run you need to air them up to the high end of the range or even above recommended when cold. Rears can get some heat into them if they allow a burnout, but I have been at a few airstrip events that do not allow burnouts.
Old 05-10-2017, 01:03 PM

SRT-6
another little secret is to air up on your tire psi, especially up front. Since the tires will be cold when you make your run you need to air them up to the high end of the range or even above recommended when cold. Rears can get some heat into them if they allow a burnout, but I have been at a few airstrip events that do not allow burnouts.
That's a no-brainer that I have never once considered... but it makes perfect sense.

Like a dummy, I reduced the PSI in the rear tires to get a better launch (I was in quarter-mile mindset).

Never touched the fronts, so they were sitting at ~32 psi (normal street pressures).

I will definitely remember that for the next attempt.
Old 05-10-2017, 03:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

That's a no-brainer that I have never once considered... but it makes perfect sense.

Like a dummy, I reduced the PSI in the rear tires to get a better launch (I was in quarter-mile mindset).

Never touched the fronts, so they were sitting at ~32 psi (normal street pressures).

I will definitely remember that for the next attempt.
Air them up, less contact patch = less rolling resistance.
Old 05-10-2017, 03:15 PM

SRT-6
Air them up, less contact patch = less rolling resistance.
Absolutely. I'm still pissed that I didn't even consider that in two years of attending the event.
Old 05-10-2017, 04:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R Nine T
As I was preparing for 1/2 mile, I didn't want to go low on oil and found that a quart fits under driver rear panel under tire kit ....
1/2 Mile Run-df5a85df-726b-4f74-93f2-f832b4ce6b19.jpeg
Old 05-10-2017, 08:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 167 Likes on 133 Posts
2021 Porsche TTS
Thanks for all the great tips.
I am not aware of how to not make the spoiler go up. Is that possible?
I don't think I would want to try to manually make it go down while I am hauling down the strip lol
Old 05-10-2017, 09:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R Nine T
Originally Posted by emericr
I don't think I would want to try to manually make it go down while I am hauling down the strip lol
Ha. It's just a button that lights up in roof panel. Press and done. And.......... its 1 mph more man!
Old 05-11-2017, 10:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

If anything you want the rear spoiler down, downforce = drag. I believe a fuse can be pulled but I am not positive as my Ed 1 had the fixed rear wing.
Old 05-11-2017, 04:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2021 Porsche TTS
I know it's a button on roof panel and I have played with it to make the spoiler stay up but I am not aware of an option to keep it down.
Ha. It's just a button that lights up in roof panel. Press and done. And.......... its 1 mph more man!
Old 05-11-2017, 05:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R Nine T
I know it's a button on roof panel and I have played with it to make the spoiler stay up but I am not aware of an option to keep it down.
Yes so that's what I kept forgetting. So you have to program yourself like a pilot on these runs. Besides pulling fuses, just program yourself to hit red spoiler button after first gear runs when it goes up and it will go down that's all.
Old 05-12-2017, 10:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2021 Porsche TTS
That's what I thought it meant and I am not sure I want to be taking one hand off and my eyes of the runway while I am at full throttle above 75mph to hit and hold the button for 2 seconds to get the spoiler down...
I would rather be 1mph slower but less risk of an accident. Catch my drift

Yes so that's what I kept forgetting. So you have to program yourself like a pilot on these runs. Besides pulling fuses, just program yourself to hit red spoiler button after first gear runs when it goes up and it will go down that's all.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 1/2 Mile Run