Coupe/Roadster
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any MB dealer warranty issues with installing downpipes?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 11:34 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
AMG GTS, Bentley GT,SL600, Range Rover V8 5.0 Supercharged, Aston Martin Rapide S, S600
Any MB dealer warranty issues with installing downpipes?

I was considering installing downpipes since I have seen pretty significant performance results on this forum from those who have installed them plus the exhaust note sounds really nice once installed. Wondering if anyone has had issues with the Mercedes dealer when taking the car in for unrelated warranty repairs. Once they see these non-factory downpipes have they refused repairs on other issues or any hassles??
Old 07-10-2017, 01:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 167 Likes on 133 Posts
2021 Porsche TTS
I can;t answer your question directly but the claimed gains are bogus IMHO. I had a C63 and a CLS63 and I documented both (pre and after dyno) and found minimal gain at best (picking the worse pre-downpipes and the best after downpipes) showed about 20hp.
My main concern is that you cannot reverse the process on the GT as you have to cut the OEM pipes unless you drop the transmission. That means if you install catless pipes (which is the one that enhances how the car sounds), selling it in the future will be an issue as you tempered with emission.
One option which I did to increase the bark is just cut the secondary pipes and replace with straight pipes. Inexpensive and fully reversible.

Last edited by emericr; 07-10-2017 at 01:26 PM. Reason: addition
Old 07-10-2017, 06:07 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
AMG GTS, Bentley GT,SL600, Range Rover V8 5.0 Supercharged, Aston Martin Rapide S, S600
Originally Posted by emericr
I can;t answer your question directly but the claimed gains are bogus IMHO. I had a C63 and a CLS63 and I documented both (pre and after dyno) and found minimal gain at best (picking the worse pre-downpipes and the best after downpipes) showed about 20hp.
My main concern is that you cannot reverse the process on the GT as you have to cut the OEM pipes unless you drop the transmission. That means if you install catless pipes (which is the one that enhances how the car sounds), selling it in the future will be an issue as you tempered with emission.
One option which I did to increase the bark is just cut the secondary pipes and replace with straight pipes. Inexpensive and fully reversible.
Thanks for the great advice! Regarding the secondary pipes you mentioned cutting them: is there no bolt on option? And who sells these?
Old 07-10-2017, 06:10 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Too Many To List
The way it works is, everything from the CAT back you can change. You will still be able to pass smog and not violate warranty.
Old 07-11-2017, 11:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 167 Likes on 133 Posts
2021 Porsche TTS
Unless you change the muffler in the back of the car (which I would not recommend since I believe you have a GTS which comes with the bypass valves), there is no other way that cut the OEM pipes. It is a very easy job that any stand up muffler shop can do.
After market companies will sell you cat back exhaust for crazy prices and yes it will meet emissions but the easy and cheaper way is the cut-off of the secondary cats.
Old 07-11-2017, 01:14 PM

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
2016 AMG GTS ED1, 2013 C63 P31 Coupe
I've had downpipes for about 10k miles with a handful of service visits. No issues.
Old 07-11-2017, 06:59 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Mercedes C200 CGI, CLS350, CLA45 AMG, AMG GTS(ordered)
My MB dealer installed catless downpipes for my GTS ED1. We have an understanding that any unrelated warranties will still be good. They even replaced a gasket they damaged while dropping the transmission.