Why is Power trunk Release removed if ordering Carbon fiber Package

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-20-2017, 11:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 219 Likes on 155 Posts
2018 Solarbeam Yellow AMG GTS
Why is Power trunk Release removed if ordering Carbon fiber Package

i find it strange that key fob control of power deck is eliminated if ordering carbon fiber package. The diffuser is below the power deck. Is there a sensor in the diffuser?
Old 08-21-2017, 12:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Is the foot note denoting , power trunk release is deleted a generic statement for Autos with foot activated trunk release only?

The GTs trunk is released with internal button and button on the fob? The installation Of CF diffuser doesn't affect the function ? Or am I mistaken?
Old 08-22-2017, 03:57 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 MB AMG GTS
I have the exterior carbon fiber package and I could never use the foot activated trunk release. Could this be the reason why?
Old 08-22-2017, 08:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yes. I asked the dealer. I didn't even know there was a foot activated function . Doesn't sound that useful since the trunk is not motorized. After it's unlocked , you still have to manually raise the hatch. If my hands are full,you still need to free up to lift the gate. Might as well press button on the fob while your hand is free.

Do do you like the Carbon fiber? Do you have problem with chips and rock injury? Did you get it wrapped with Xpel.
Old 08-22-2017, 08:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 197 Likes on 165 Posts
Porsche guy who drives SL63 w/ perf pkg AND perf suspension
I have power trunk and foot activation on sl63. Believe me, its not that useful. It is almost impossible to make it work consistently , I complained to the dealer and he says he gets many complaints about it.
The sensor is a long plastic module that sits inside the bumper. Is has to read motion thru the bumper
Old 08-23-2017, 04:54 AM

Received 97 Likes on 90 Posts
911 991 TTS, Audi RS6 C7 Performance Edition, AMG GTS
Originally Posted by okbarnett
I have power trunk and foot activation on sl63. Believe me, its not that useful. It is almost impossible to make it work consistently , I complained to the dealer and he says he gets many complaints about it.
The sensor is a long plastic module that sits inside the bumper. Is has to read motion thru the bumper
Totally agree. I try to avoid using it whenever possible. Generally it will work if you're prepared to stand around kicking underneath the back of your car looking like a fool holding a load of gear for an unknown period of time. One of my sons noticed I did it a couple of times... so he tried it without asking (obviously) and scratched my rear bumper with his shoe! It's a useful device for first world emergencies