Sponsored by:

GT air intake ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 01:11 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
AMG GTS Edition 1
GT air intake ?

Been looking for options to let the car breath and so far it seems not much options are available , its either you get drop in filters , or this from PP-performance

however i just came across this air intake from arma , i like the idea of a boxed air intake , keeps the hot air out.

i didnt find any gains posted by arma what do you think the gains will be ? over oem and over drop in filters ?

here is some picture , tell me what do you think.

Old 09-21-2017, 09:39 AM

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
2017 AMG GT
I'm just guessing here, but I would bet the stock intake is actually pretty adequate. I'm just thinking this because the motor is so far back It only takes up half the engine bay. Also I noticed that tuners like renntech don't even feel the need to sell an upgraded air box, even if you do the ecu AND turbo upgrade. Also, the stock intake protects the car from foreign particles. I'm not saying that all after market intakes provide less protection but it's well known that some do. All in all, the money is better spent on other upgrades.

Another thing to always think about is 10k-15k worth of updates VS trade in your car for a GTC or GTR. The total cost may be similar when you factor saving money by not doing these upgrades and your current car being worth less because of modifications.

Believe me, I know how you feel. The upgrades I want to do to my car are about 10-15k and I think I've decided not to do them and trade next year. This year I think I'm just going to treat myself to a better daily driver and upgrade my weekend ride next year.
Old 09-21-2017, 01:49 PM

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts
GT3
In a car like this, I doubt just changing the air filter type/style is going to make any difference at all.

That said... those carbon fiber boxes you posted look cool and I'd use them just for the cool factor, as long as they function as good or better than the stock boxes at protecting the engine and providing adequate aspiration.

I love carbon fiber. So yeah...
Old 09-21-2017, 02:03 PM

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
2017 AMG GT
I would also add that oem air boxes are tested in downpours of water to prevent hydrolocking the engine and even they aren't foolproof.
Old 09-21-2017, 03:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 700 Likes on 533 Posts
R Nine T
The air boxes are completely sufficient in this car, however you should switch to a very high quality low profile ( I did weistec) air filter as it doubles the volume in the box and increases airflow safely. The stock filters are about 2 1/2 inches wide and take up most of the box.
Old 09-21-2017, 03:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 197 Likes on 165 Posts
Porsche guy who drives SL63 w/ perf pkg AND perf suspension
its imperative to keep hot air out of the filters. Open filters are ridiculous. Any one with automotive knowledge knows that
Maybe a larger boxed system will allow more volume. That can be better. But for the money i doubt if its worth it. I have always used a free flow air filter in all my cars. Whether they are tuned or not. It is just a sensible improvement. look at BMC or Green or K&N and put in a set of filters.
Old 09-22-2017, 11:41 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 293 Likes on 242 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
http://ultimatepd.com/2016-and-up-me...-kit-c190.html

Filters we use are very thin and the spacers help increase the volume of the air box

Similar principle as the one we have the M157

https://mbworld.org/forums/w212-amg/...boost-kit.html