Sponsored by:

GTR Tracking Thread

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-02-2017, 10:23 PM

Received 379 Likes on 159 Posts
☐ Rekt ☑ Not Rekt
GTR Tracking Thread

So I'm guessing a few of us are planning to track our GTRs and I thought this would be a good ongoing thread about such things as track prep, break in, camber settings, fluids, different wheel/tire options, TC settings, etc.

We can also post our track videos and experiences and any other questions or comments related to (road course) tracking these cars.

I'll have something to contribute after I get my car delivered tomorrow and have had a chance to read the owner's manual ... hopefully it will have a section on track use.
The following users liked this post:
thebishman (11-03-2017)
Old 11-21-2017, 07:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 959 Likes on 576 Posts
‘24 BMW iX M60
I wanted to bump this thread as like S above, I intend to track my soon to be delivered GT R, and I have a specific question for GT/GT S owners who have driven their cars at an HPDE.

It has been suggested over on Rennline that the GT R may overheat when driven on a road course. Have you guys with earlier variants of the car had the car go into ‘limp’ mode, or otherwise had the car ‘fail’ on track due to inadequate cooling?

Interested minds want to know! lol

TIA,
Bish
Old 11-22-2017, 11:29 AM

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
AMG GTR, Subaru Rally Car,Model X P100D
I've already done an HPDE Weekend in the GTR:

Definitely turn on the Traction Control Knob and use it! ESP off and Traction Control knob all the way to "On" mode far less forgiving then ESP Sport Mode. Start there and notice the flashes when your skills or lack of smoothness cause the traction control to come on. Slowly after tires heat up start dialing it further to "Off". I find myself much like the VIR Lightning t Lap using different TC settings in different areas of the track. My best times we're controller the TC between the slow corners and faster sweepers.

I had the dealer do the GTR Track Alignment during PDI and switched out to Motul 660 Brake Fluid. I did not have a single peddle problem all weekend.

I also did not have any heat issues, however, it was 38-45 degrees F all weekend.
Old 11-22-2017, 02:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 959 Likes on 576 Posts
‘24 BMW iX M60
Originally Posted by Brian Clarke
I've already done an HPDE Weekend in the GTR:

Definitely turn on the Traction Control Knob and use it! ESP off and Traction Control knob all the way to "On" mode far less forgiving then ESP Sport Mode. Start there and notice the flashes when your skills or lack of smoothness cause the traction control to come on. Slowly after tires heat up start dialing it further to "Off". I find myself much like the VIR Lightning t Lap using different TC settings in different areas of the track. My best times we're controller the TC between the slow corners and faster sweepers.

I had the dealer do the GTR Track Alignment during PDI and switched out to Motul 660 Brake Fluid. I did not have a single peddle problem all weekend.

I also did not have any heat issues, however, it was 38-45 degrees F all weekend.
This is great news; thanks for sharing.

i just finished reading thru’ the owner’s manual and surprisingly it doesn’t have a ‘driving on track’ section. I was hoping it would list a track oriented alignment, etc.

I’m assuming you were in Race mode; ‘M’ mode with the transmission; tyres pressures you used? (I’v always started the MPSC2 ZP tyres on my Z06/7 at 26 psi).

Any other tips you can share would be welcome.

Bish
Old 11-22-2017, 02:21 PM

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
AMG GTR, Subaru Rally Car,Model X P100D
Originally Posted by thebishman
This is great news; thanks for sharing.

i just finished reading thru’ the owner’s manual and surprisingly it doesn’t have a ‘driving on track’ section. I was hoping it would list a track oriented alignment, etc.

I’m assuming you were in Race mode; ‘M’ mode with the transmission; tyres pressures you used? (I’v always started the MPSC2 ZP tyres on my Z06/7 at 26 psi).

Any other tips you can share would be welcome.

Bish
I did not use M mode because honestly this is one of the best auto shifters I've ever had. What you can do with this car when it's not in M mode is if you want to up or downshift you can do that and then the car takes back over. It's a dream to drive on the track, you can just focus on the driving and she really takes the rest. If you find a corner or a place you want to be in a different gear, the paddle works fine and then she just keeps on driving. In my previous cars once you hit the paddle it was in sudo manual mode and wouldn't really take over right away. This thing takes over upon next redline.
The following users liked this post:
thebishman (11-22-2017)