Hard track use upgrades

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-23-2019 | 01:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

16 E550 Cab, 2003 Ram bright red crewcab 4x4 we call Clifford :)
Aaaahhh, watched again your right he is not in very tight at all...
Old 10-23-2019 | 03:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘24 BMW iX M60
Originally Posted by MG1422
I don't think he was strapped in very tight. I usually tighten the harness then move seat a bit forward and i stay planted, never have to worry about moving around the seat or holding on to steering wheel
‘Was that your car, Mario?

Can you tell us again what restraint system you’re using?

Great lap, btw.

TIA,

Bish
Old 10-23-2019 | 03:55 PM

GTR
Originally Posted by thebishman
‘Was that your car, Mario?

Can you tell us again what restraint system you’re using?

Great lap, btw.

TIA,

Bish
It's Mariano, Bish <-- that comment was not meant to be rude BTW

Yes it is my car, I'm using the Schroth Profi II. James took the car out solo on the 5th session of the day and brand new slicks with a little less than half a tank of gas. I was only able to manage 2.21.7 the next day with James as a passenger.
Old 10-23-2019 | 08:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘24 BMW iX M60
It's Mariano, Bish <-- that comment was not meant to be rude BTW

Yes it is my car, I'm using the Schroth Profi II. James took the car out solo on the 5th session of the day and brand new slicks with a little less than half a tank of gas. I was only able to manage 2.21.7 the next day with James as a passenger.

Sorry, Mariano. Damn predictive text! lol

Thanks for the info.

Bish
Old 10-24-2019 | 05:31 AM

fun ones.
I don't think he was strapped in very tight. I usually tighten the harness then move seat a bit forward and i stay planted, never have to worry about moving around the seat or holding on to steering wheel
He's far too tall to use harnesses with those seats, that's why he's left them loose because they'd be forcing him to hunch if they were tight.
Old 11-02-2019 | 03:13 AM

GTR

For guys who still suffer from lack of cooling in the rear...
The following users liked this post:
thebishman (11-02-2019)
Old 11-12-2019 | 10:34 AM

AMG GT
I recommend taking it very easy around the SX section at the Nurburgring, it’s a known car killer for good reason. This ain’t gonna buff out.

Luckily I insure the car for my track exploits, I’ve lost the 10% of what I paid for it as that’s the insurance excess/deductible for track claims.

Video in 1080p.

Last edited by Pete De La Mare; 11-12-2019 at 01:20 PM.
Old 11-12-2019 | 10:37 AM

GTR
Originally Posted by Pete De La Mare
I recommend taking it very easy around the SX section at the Nurburgring, it’s a known car killer for good reason. This ain’t gonna buff out.

Luckily I insure the car for my track exploits, I’ve lost the 10% of what I paid for it as that’s the insurance excess/deductible for track claims.

Holy cow, Pete. Is that your car? If so, im assuming you were not seriously hurt hence you posting on the forum
Old 11-12-2019 | 10:45 AM

AMG GT
Holy cow, Pete. Is that your car? If so, im assuming you were not seriously hurt hence you posting on the forum
Unfortunately it is my car, and both my passenger and I were unharmed, though I have a badly sprained right hand/wrist and lacerations up the inside of my arm as it left the car during one if the 5 or so rolls, luckily I felt the cold breeze on it and yanked it back in before the car landed again.

I’m preparing a video from inside the car to share.
Old 11-12-2019 | 10:52 AM

S550 coupe
Wow, glad you are OK.

It happens to the best. In this hobby if you drive long enough it’s true that if you haven’t, you will.
Some of the best drivers I know had a brain fart, hit oil or were hit by other cars. **** happens as they say.

I also pay for the track insurance and hope it’s a waste of money.

kudo’s for posting pics and video. These kind of posts always bring me back to reality to remain in full defensive and self preservation mode and I try to learn from it. Cars are getting silly fast, thankfully they also get safer.
Pete De La Mare (11-12-2019)
Old 11-12-2019 | 11:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

16 E550 Cab, 2003 Ram bright red crewcab 4x4 we call Clifford :)
Wow Pete, glad to hear you will be ok. 5 or so rolls ? and the car still looks like........ well a car...... amazing.... looks like the passenger cage help up well...
Old 11-12-2019 | 11:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘24 BMW iX M60
Pete, I am so effin’ glad you’re alright, mate! That was a bloody big ‘off’.

Cars can always be replaced, so thank goodness you had the insurance on it. I won’t run mine without it.

Bish
Old 11-12-2019 | 12:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2021 AMG GLE 63s Coupe AMG GLC 63s Coupe

Glad to see ya got outta that alive..

Rule number one is never track a car you are not ready to walk away from, even with trackway insurance.

Was it worth it ?
Old 11-12-2019 | 12:54 PM

fun ones.

Glad you alright Pete. Sorry to see your GTR experience was so short lived.

I think the car held up exceedingly well given the number of rolls.
The following 5 users liked this post by WhiteBlack:
California John (11-12-2019), JSwan724 (11-13-2019), MG1422 (11-12-2019), Pete De La Mare (11-12-2019), thebishman (11-12-2019)
Old 11-12-2019 | 01:19 PM

AMG GT
Video.

So I messed up a bit, but I think the car should have stuck instead of the rear making no attempt to go round the corner.

I turned in slightly earlier than usual, I steer out if it slightly and catch a bump which is bigger than it used to be, I would normally be back on the gas at this point to load up the car for the long sweeping off-camber turn over the crest, but the rear starts going before I collect myself and there’s no catching it. A tiny error with huge consequences.

My M3 goes around this bend at the same speed and feels planted each time. It’s possible my tyres weren’t completely up to temp as this was the first lap out of the car park, and Cup2s due take a while to get to temp.

Last edited by Pete De La Mare; 11-12-2019 at 01:36 PM.
Old 11-12-2019 | 01:29 PM

AMG GT
Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Wow, glad you are OK.

It happens to the best. In this hobby if you drive long enough it’s true that if you haven’t, you will.
Some of the best drivers I know had a brain fart, hit oil or were hit by other cars. **** happens as they say.

I also pay for the track insurance and hope it’s a waste of money.

kudo’s for posting pics and video. These kind of posts always bring me back to reality to remain in full defensive and self preservation mode and I try to learn from it. Cars are getting silly fast, thankfully they also get safer.
Thanks. Possibly I also got a little complacent, which at the ‘ring is a silly thing to do. This was my first lap with a clear run into SX and I just got the line slightly wrong which meant I was a little late getting on the gas which this corner needs.

Originally Posted by mrmotoguzzi00
Wow Pete, glad to hear you will be ok. 5 or so rolls ? and the car still looks like........ well a car...... amazing.... looks like the passenger cage help up well...
I think it’s 5 judging by the video, sadly no video from outside. The car is obviously immensely strong and well designed for crashes such as these.

Pete, I am so effin’ glad you’re alright, mate! That was a bloody big ‘off’.

Cars can always be replaced, so thank goodness you had the insurance on it. I won’t run mine without it.

Bish
Thanks Bish, I don’t do things by halves. Go big or go home.

Originally Posted by ronin amg
Glad to see ya got outta that alive..

Rule number one is never track a car you are not ready to walk away from, even with trackway insurance.

Was it worth it ?
Yes, it was a fun 4 months or so and 3 track days. I’ll be back with a Pro, or a 720s, or a GT3, or back to BMW with a serious M2/4. Obviously I didn’t plan on it being such a short period before I destroyed it.

Originally Posted by WhiteBlack
Glad you alright Pete. Sorry to see your GTR experience was so short lived.

I think the car held up exceedingly well given the number of rolls.
Thanks Sam. I’m sorry too lol, but I’ll be back with something for next season.
Old 11-12-2019 | 01:38 PM

2018 GTR and 2018 E63 Wagon
Holy mother mary of God! LOL! Man you almost lost your arm dude! Glad you tuck it back in there!
What did you have your traction control settings on?
Old 11-12-2019 | 02:00 PM

190E 2.5-16v
Originally Posted by BenzGTR
What did you have your traction control settings on?
Good question... as the back end just tried to overpass you
Old 11-12-2019 | 02:12 PM

AMG GT
Two red lights showing.
Old 11-12-2019 | 03:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘24 BMW iX M60
Video. https://youtu.be/APQt8QssddY

So I messed up a bit, but I think the car should have stuck instead of the rear making no attempt to go round the corner.

I turned in slightly earlier than usual, I steer out if it slightly and catch a bump which is bigger than it used to be, I would normally be back on the gas at this point to load up the car for the long sweeping off-camber turn over the crest, but the rear starts going before I collect myself and there’s no catching it. A tiny error with huge consequences.

My M3 goes around this bend at the same speed and feels planted each time. It’s possible my tyres weren’t completely up to temp as this was the first lap out of the car park, and Cup2s due take a while to get to temp.
Looks like you caught a little of the curb with an early apex which unsettled the car, Pete and I really think that the tyres weren’t warmed up. I don’t know what the ambient was that day, but if it was anything less than 20dC leaving the ESC on for the first lap to get heat into the tyres might well have helped. A lower setting on the TC; (more ‘yellow/less red’), would not have helped, only ESC. Again really glad you’re OK; that track takes no prisoners!
California John (11-12-2019)
Old 11-12-2019 | 03:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 Irridium Silver MB C63 AMG Sedan
Glad you had helmets on....some people do the Nurburgring with no helmet...get well soon
Old 11-12-2019 | 03:46 PM

fun ones.
Looks like you caught a little of the curb with an early apex which unsettled the car, Pete and I really think that the tyres weren’t warmed up. I don’t know what the ambient was that day, but if it was anything less than 20dC leaving the ESC on for the first lap to get heat into the tyres might well have helped. A lower setting on the TC; (more ‘yellow/less red’), would not have helped, only ESC. Again really glad you’re OK; that track takes no prisoners!
This is the ring. That turn is roughly 3-4 miles in, the car has had a normal laps worth of warm up at that point.
Old 11-12-2019 | 05:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘24 BMW iX M60
Originally Posted by WhiteBlack
This is the ring. That turn is roughly 3-4 miles in, the car has had a normal laps worth of warm up at that point.

Again, what was the ambient temp?

Which brings me to this: modern day TPMS sensors can easily report temperature as well as PSI, my ‘13 M5 did so and iirc my ‘15 Z06/7 would show tyre temps as a red/yellow/green so you'd know when the tyre temps were appropriate for really leaning on them. A car such as the GTR should have this simple additional data point available to the driver within the DIC. Its not the same as using a pyrometer to measure tyre carcass temps, but it’s certainly useful
info IMHO.

Bish
Old 11-12-2019 | 06:22 PM

AMG GT
It was around 14 degrees, not warm by any stretch.
Old 11-12-2019 | 07:02 PM

fun ones.
Again, what was the ambient temp?

Which brings me to this: modern day TPMS sensors can easily report temperature as well as PSI, my ‘13 M5 did so and iirc my ‘15 Z06/7 would show tyre temps as a red/yellow/green so you'd know when the tyre temps were appropriate for really leaning on them. A car such as the GTR should have this simple additional data point available to the driver within the DIC. Its not the same as using a pyrometer to measure tyre carcass temps, but it’s certainly useful
info IMHO.

Bish
Face lift has this. Tyre temps and warning lights for temperature.

Personally I don't see the point, it will either be a temp sensor on the wheel or a calculation based on tyre pressure changes and the ambient, either way it wont be remotely accurate.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Hard track use upgrades