Hard track use upgrades

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-20-2020, 07:04 PM

Received 144 Likes on 75 Posts
AMG GT-S, AMG C43, GLK350, Nissan GT-R, 718 Cayman
Originally Posted by Draptec
With TIKT ducts You completely remove the original backing plate (heat shield) as that area is covered with the "duct".

I will also point out once again that the proper duct is doing far more than just directing some air towards the rotor... I already explained (in this thread I think) the importance of separation of rotor inlet and exhaust to prevent hot air being sucked back into the rotor, thus reducing the cooling potential of the flow generated by rotor vanes. That combined with the forced air induction to the rotor makes TIKT ducts so much more effective compared to any other solution which just guides the air towards the rotor with air guides and deflectors which can't form a proper closed "duct"

I could probably make an explanation video on functionality and installation... Let me know if that is something You guys want to see.
That would be very useful to all who track their GT's and use the brakes hard. Please do.
The following users liked this post:
DriveAMG (03-24-2020)
Old 03-22-2020, 01:31 PM

Received 42 Likes on 19 Posts
GTR
Originally Posted by descartesfool
That would be very useful to all who track their GT's and use the brakes hard. Please do.
I think this will answer many questions...

will do the rear ones as well.
The following 4 users liked this post by Draptec:
AMG 17GT (03-22-2020), BucsFan (03-22-2020), DriveAMG (03-24-2020), thebishman (03-22-2020)
Old 03-22-2020, 02:30 PM

Received 144 Likes on 75 Posts
AMG GT-S, AMG C43, GLK350, Nissan GT-R, 718 Cayman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QDl2QGUOmg&t=77s

That was fantastic! Thanks. Great design work, and very nice fitment with tight gap to the rear of the rotor to close off re-circulation.

There was a video for rotor temps on track with each side different, which seemed like quite an unbalanced setup to drive Any more data on that with OEM brake shield and Tikt duct installed with both wheels being the same, in terms of Delta T. It would be nice to have data temperature logger charts for a lap or two once the brakes are up to full temperature. How is the pad longevity affected?
Old 03-22-2020, 03:29 PM

Received 105 Likes on 66 Posts
'18 AMG GTC, '96 BMW 318i, '10 Audi Q5 (wife)
It's great to confirm since this is exactly how mine went in.
Old 03-22-2020, 03:40 PM

GTR
That was fantastic! Thanks. Great design work, and very nice fitment with tight gap to the rear of the rotor to close off re-circulation.

There was a video for rotor temps on track with each side different, which seemed like quite an unbalanced setup to drive Any more data on that with OEM brake shield and Tikt duct installed with both wheels being the same, in terms of Delta T. It would be nice to have data temperature logger charts for a lap or two once the brakes are up to full temperature. How is the pad longevity affected?
Yes It was practically impossible to drive as the brake torque difference was so big once the stock side starts fading out. Car basically starts torque steering and electronics start kicking in.
As for the comparison of OEM setup and TIKT upgrade, well You can't compare these two... For any real track use OEM setup is not nearly sufficient and once You have a driver who is real fast and ignores fade - rotors are destroyed. TIKT ducts on the other side perform well in the hard track conditions but the data We gathered has nothing to compare with - we haven't came across any other upgrade which is functional to measure and compare the efficiency... (We tried a few options during development and We have a PRO which also doesn't work)

As fore the pad longevity it is not significantly improved. So when You brake hard You wear the pads, that is inevitable (until we make some magic ducts) but You don't destroy the pad with overheating and the rotors definitely last much longer.
The following 2 users liked this post by Draptec:
California John (03-23-2020), thebishman (03-23-2020)
Old 03-22-2020, 03:58 PM

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
2019 E63s
Thank you!

Well I’m sold on a pair for the fronts. My question is why do these need to be made of Carbon Fibre? Also how can I get a set here in Toronto?

Old 03-22-2020, 04:27 PM

GTR
Originally Posted by DriveAMG
Well I’m sold on a pair for the fronts. My question is why do these need to be made of Carbon Fibre? Also how can I get a set here in Toronto?
With this tight fit design they need to be heat resistant as much as possible. As You could see in our testing video temps go up to 800-900 and that would simply melt down any other plastic. A good alloy would be even better in terms of heat but the shape is just way too complex to form. Also carbon composite is low weight which is an advantage. I'm sure You can have them in Toronto but You'll have to contact TIKT directly.

Let's cheer up the thread with some nice photos of the current test car...

The following 3 users liked this post by Draptec:
DriveAMG (03-24-2020), ShangoAshe (03-25-2020), thebishman (03-23-2020)
Old 03-22-2020, 05:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 695 Likes on 438 Posts
AMG
With this tight fit design they need to be heat resistant as much as possible. As You could see in our testing video temps go up to 800-900 and that would simply melt down any other plastic. A good alloy would be even better in terms of heat but the shape is just way too complex to form. Also carbon composite is low weight which is an advantage. I'm sure You can have them in Toronto but You'll have to contact TIKT directly.

Let's cheer up the thread with some nice photos of the current test car...

That pro is nice, but that Techart GT Street RS is sex.
Old 03-22-2020, 06:46 PM

Received 148 Likes on 95 Posts
GTR

Pads and rotors last MUCH MUCH longer. For reference. A friend in his GTR and my GTR at COTA both on the same new cobalt XR1 pads but I had tikt ducts and his pads were gone by the second day after the 2nd or 3rd session VS my pads which lasted a full 4 days (5-20min session each day).
V8ray (05-22-2020)
Old 03-22-2020, 11:02 PM

2019 E63s
So I've tried reaching Vengeance Racing

with no luck, and the Tikt site is down. oh well...
Old 03-23-2020, 08:55 AM

GTR
As promised, here is the video explanation of installation procedure and function of TIKT Performance AMG GT rear brake ducts:

If anyone has any further questions I'm here to answer them all
DriveAMG (03-24-2020), thebishman (03-23-2020)
Old 03-24-2020, 04:25 PM

2019 E63s
Tikt Ducts

Hello all. Hope this minor update finds everyone well. So I heard from Tikt and also from Vengeance. At this time I’m only interested in a set of fronts. The quote from Vengeance I thought was a bit high considering they are passing on all the shipping costs plus adding taxes to an out of country order. Tikt on their website has the fronts for €1490 which includes 19% VAT. If the VAT is removed it’s approx €1206 plus shipping only unless I’m missing something. Shipping from Tikt was pretty expensive I believe but I think ordering from them direct would be the way to go. I’m up here in Toronto and I think I could be interested in sharing shipping if anyone local wants to order with me when this nonsense settles down in a few weeks. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.
Old 03-25-2020, 06:18 AM

2019 E63s
Alternatives?

Has anyone used these:

https://ansixauto.com/front-brake-du...z-amg-gt-gt-s/

Old 03-25-2020, 09:08 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 373 Likes on 292 Posts
with castrol SRF prices up and harder to find? anyone try Ferodo super fluid? Im may try that next (have a few bottles of SRF left).. I think Im done with RBF660..

https://www.essexparts.com/brake-flu...ng-brake-fluid

Old 03-25-2020, 09:45 AM

2019 E63s
I stopped using RBF a few years ago

Originally Posted by susman@eurogermantown.com
with castrol SRF prices up and harder to find? anyone try Ferodo super fluid? Im may try that next (have a few bottles of SRF left).. I think Im done with RBF660..

I like Endless 650 for the brake pedal feel.
thebishman (03-25-2020)
Old 03-25-2020, 09:59 AM

Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG GTS

I bought a set and they work great! Before I picked them up I ran a single track day and boiled the high temp fluid. Put these on and never looked back, not a single failure over the remaining 2019 season. So glad I saved my money and bought these deflectors.

Old 03-25-2020, 11:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 966 Likes on 581 Posts
‘24 BMW iX M60

I would be far more inclined to purchase the higher lines of AP Racing DOT 4 brake fluids from Essex.

Bish
Old 03-25-2020, 11:31 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 373 Likes on 292 Posts
Originally Posted by thebishman
I would be far more inclined to purchase the higher lines of AP Racing DOT 4 brake fluids from Essex.

Bish
R3 or R4?

never tried endless
Old 03-25-2020, 05:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 966 Likes on 581 Posts
‘24 BMW iX M60
R3 or R4?

never tried endless

I believe that Jeff Ritter at AP Racing USA has stated that for most folks R3 would be fine, but if you don’t mind spending more money, R4 is their ultimate brake fluid.

I used Endless 650 last year in the car and it was excellent. No fade and always a firm pedal.

Bish
Old 03-25-2020, 06:00 PM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
2016 AMG GT S
Interested in these as well. I can already agree that they aren't on the level of the Tikt Ducts, but for someone who isn't going to track the car often could they be a solid alternative to keep things cooler?
Old 03-25-2020, 06:22 PM

GTR
Originally Posted by KFactor
Interested in these as well. I can already agree that they aren't on the level of the Tikt Ducts, but for someone who isn't going to track the car often could they be a solid alternative to keep things cooler?
I would say it's not about how often You go to the track... It's about how fast You drive on the track. For most of the guys stock setup with good braking fluid will be just fine, but for those who really lap good times even Tikt setup is almost on the limit.

With a 200000$ GTR on the Track fast guys spend 3000-4000$ per day just in Tires and Fuel... without proper ducts it can be much more when You have to replace the rotors. Is duct price really an issue?!

MG1422 (03-26-2020), thebishman (03-26-2020)
Old 03-25-2020, 06:51 PM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
2016 AMG GT S
I would say it's not about how often You go to the track... It's about how fast You drive on the track. For most of the guys stock setup with good braking fluid will be just fine, but for those who really lap good times even Tikt setup is almost on the limit.

With a 200000$ GTR on the Track fast guys spend 3000-4000$ per day just in Tires and Fuel... without proper ducts it can be much more when You have to replace the rotors. Is duct price really an issue?!
Well, I don't have a $200,000 GTR nor will I be spending that kind of money if I go to the track. Would love to be able to, but that's just not in my ballpark yet. Guess I will stick to better fluids, pads, maybe some Ti shims, and call it.
Draptec (03-25-2020)
Old 03-25-2020, 10:24 PM

Received 81 Likes on 38 Posts
AMG GTS
Originally Posted by KFactor
The plastic deflectors offer a few advantages over the full on carbon fiber ducts. You can find something similar in many OEM applications from most 911's, to Mclarens, to the Civic Type R. Why Mercedes didn't include it in our cars from factory is a mystery. The Ansix Auto deflector is made from polypropylene which is a very tough material. What this means is it can be bent and deflected a lot and not crack, break or yield. This is especially important because the deflector hangs low and would have the chance of being hit by foreign objects. For a full on race application, the Tikt ducts are definitely nice however a fully enclosed duct like that may not be the best choice for a daily driven vehicle. It can have the tendency to collect rocks and cause rattling whereas a plastic deflector will not have that issue. And finally, the difference in price is very apparent. Both choices will provide a significant improvement of cooling for your brakes, what you option is about weighing the pros and cons.

Originally Posted by 502Bill
I bought a set and they work great! Before I picked them up I ran a single track day and boiled the high temp fluid. Put these on and never looked back, not a single failure over the remaining 2019 season. So glad I saved my money and bought these deflectors.
Bill, glad to hear they worked out well for you!

Rears will be available soon.
thebishman (03-26-2020)
Old 03-26-2020, 12:28 AM

Received 76 Likes on 47 Posts
Fast and Really Fast Sports Cars

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QDl2QGUOmg&t=77s

Love the videos. Have a question. Do the front pick up debris? And will they hit the disc surface?
Old 03-26-2020, 06:37 AM

GTR
Originally Posted by ronac
The plastic deflectors offer a few advantages over the full on carbon fiber ducts. You can find something similar in many OEM applications from most 911's, to Mclarens, to the Civic Type R. Why Mercedes didn't include it in our cars from factory is a mystery. The Ansix Auto deflector is made from polypropylene which is a very tough material. What this means is it can be bent and deflected a lot and not crack, break or yield. This is especially important because the deflector hangs low and would have the chance of being hit by foreign objects. For a full on race application, the Tikt ducts are definitely nice however a fully enclosed duct like that may not be the best choice for a daily driven vehicle. It can have the tendency to collect rocks and cause rattling whereas a plastic deflector will not have that issue. And finally, the difference in price is very apparent. Both choices will provide a significant improvement of cooling for your brakes, what you option is about weighing the pros and cons.

Bill, glad to hear they worked out well for you!

Rears will be available soon.
911's have a very different upright and wheel house design so I wouldn't really use that as a reference.
More than 50 cars have been equipped with TIKT ducts and most of them are used on the road as well... not a single one broken so far, not even the ones that went off the track in to the gravel.

"Both choices will provide a significant improvement of cooling for your brakes, what you option is about weighing the pros and cons."
-Have You performed a comparison test? Do You have any solid data behind that statement? I would love to see something like this:

Anyway, Ansix ones are cheap enough for anyone to try. If it it's not sufficient it's not a big waste of money and You can always upgrade to the TIKT ones.
And Yes, TIKT ducts are designed primarily for hard track users with performance in mind. For those who just drive the car around this is not necessary. Stock setup or deflectors like PRO upgrade or Ansix will be just fine.

Originally Posted by LAsunset
Love the videos. Have a question. Do the front pick up debris? And will they hit the disc surface?
They are not that low to "pick up" the debris. Smaller particles like dust and sand basically fly trough the duct and rotor. Any bouncing rocks or pickups which make their way into the duct from the car in front just fall out on the braking.

LAsunset (06-12-2020)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Hard track use upgrades