Hard track use upgrades

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-28-2019, 09:10 AM

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
AMG GT
Originally Posted by MG1422
I have not heard any reviews about the Renntech brake discs, other than renntech, but I would suggest looking into AP or girodisc
Thank you, I'll check those out. I use AP a lot in my M3 so I'd feel comfortable with these again.

Originally Posted by thebishman
Decartesfool here on the forum has tracked his GTS extensively, and I know of no better resource than he for the info you need.
Bish
Thanks Bish.

Originally Posted by austintipton
I did about 10 track days in my GTs Edition 1. I sold the car due to how often an issue would arise after a track day. I do not advise going down this route unless you are a mechanic, especially with a 2016 car. The cars just don't hold up to track use beyond beginners (AMG Academy is not real track use, IMO). If I were in your shoes, I'd buy the best GT3 I could afford and go from there, or happily enjoy a GTs on the street.
Thanks Austin, can you list some? I'll have a dig through your posts later and try and get an understanding of the issues.
Old 05-28-2019, 09:55 AM

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
C63
Caveat: I drove the car hard. I know a guy who tracks his 2016 GTs stock and hasn't had a single issue. I'm sure I would boil his brake fluid in a single session. :shrug:

Let's see, ignition coils, engine mounts, new transmission, 2nd transmission fix, bent wheels, a vibration in the front wheels above 80 mph that I never could figure out after $2,500 in troubleshooting, steering wheel tilt after a track alignment. Throw in being one of the original guys tracking the car, and it took forever to find the Girodisc, Pagid RS29 combo, and without a cooling solution I never found, I still chewed through front rotors and pads at an alarming rate compared to guys in other cars. (Throw in the other five or so warranty repairs, and door dings and curbed rims after Mercedes put 100-200 "testing" miles on the car and I'd had enough)

Then, go drive an R on the track. You'll see the Edition 1 suspension is terrible. Too much body roll on track, and just as harsh or harsher on the road.

I loved the car. It is gorgeous and sounds great! But taking it to a shop, Lyft home, wait for a fix, Lyft there, drive home, plus the usual pad and wheel/tire swapping before and after each track day and I'd had enough. Too much effort to keep the car going when I watch three GT3 RS owners on their 38th track day with original rotors, and on their second or third set of pads, with nothing more than a few oil changes and tires. (One GT3 owner put on steel brakes, scared of the replacement costs of the ceramics, but the other two haven't replaced the ceramics yet, and they are out there at least once a month)
Old 05-28-2019, 10:31 AM

AMG GT
Blimey! That's quite a shocker.... I'll do a little more research, thanks for the info.
Old 05-28-2019, 07:01 PM

Received 144 Likes on 75 Posts
AMG GT-S, AMG C43, GLK350, Nissan GT-R, 718 Cayman
Originally Posted by austintipton
Caveat: I drove the car hard. I know a guy who tracks his 2016 GTs stock and hasn't had a single issue. I'm sure I would boil his brake fluid in a single session. :shrug:

Let's see, ignition coils, engine mounts, new transmission, 2nd transmission fix, bent wheels, a vibration in the front wheels above 80 mph that I never could figure out after $2,500 in troubleshooting, steering wheel tilt after a track alignment. Throw in being one of the original guys tracking the car, and it took forever to find the Girodisc, Pagid RS29 combo, and without a cooling solution I never found, I still chewed through front rotors and pads at an alarming rate compared to guys in other cars. (Throw in the other five or so warranty repairs, and door dings and curbed rims after Mercedes put 100-200 "testing" miles on the car and I'd had enough)

Then, go drive an R on the track. You'll see the Edition 1 suspension is terrible. Too much body roll on track, and just as harsh or harsher on the road.

I loved the car. It is gorgeous and sounds great! But taking it to a shop, Lyft home, wait for a fix, Lyft there, drive home, plus the usual pad and wheel/tire swapping before and after each track day and I'd had enough. Too much effort to keep the car going when I watch three GT3 RS owners on their 38th track day with original rotors, and on their second or third set of pads, with nothing more than a few oil changes and tires. (One GT3 owner put on steel brakes, scared of the replacement costs of the ceramics, but the other two haven't replaced the ceramics yet, and they are out there at least once a month)
Well you have had some bad luck. I have had much better luck with my GT-S on track. I run Castrol SRF fluid, Hawk DTC-70 pads front and Raybestos ST47 rear, OEM rotors which can be replaced for about $360 each on eBay (actual OEM Brembo rotors), and Dunlop Sport Maxx Race and Nitto NT-01's on 2 sets of spare OEM GT-S wheels. Only 1 issue in 3 years, and that is one motor mount replaced under warranty last year. Other than that, zero issues with the car on track or on the road. Car could certainly use more brake cooling as the front OEM rotors eventually crack and need to be replaced, but at $700 a set once or twice a year, not really an issue since a track day costs a whole lot more than that. Rear rotors are still fine and have not had to replace those. The car wears its rear tires out quite a bit faster than the fronts, so that is a bit of a pain. I also ran PSC2's, and same for those. GT-S needs more rear tire for the track. I am waiting for the Tikt brake cooling group buy to happen. Come on guys!

i run with a bunch of guys with GT3RS's. All they say is that it is a terrible car to drive on the street, and they all trailer their cars to the track. GT3's are better for the street, and all Porsches are great track cars, no doubt. GT-S is just great on the street, and driven to the track. Was just on track last Wednesday and had a great time. And as usual, no issues. My AMG service rep was just at the house today to pick up my GT-S for a software upgrade, and he left me a GLC AMG C43 for a couple of days until he brings my GT-S back. Great service too.
The following 2 users liked this post by descartesfool:
Pete De La Mare (05-29-2019), thebishman (05-29-2019)
Old 05-28-2019, 07:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 705 Likes on 535 Posts
R Nine T
I have to agree rear end sway has to be tied down somehow. Increased camber and it still rolls in rear on sweepers.
The following users liked this post:
Pete De La Mare (05-29-2019)
Old 05-29-2019, 07:58 AM

AMG GT
Originally Posted by descartesfool
Well you have had some bad luck. I have had much better luck with my GT-S on track. I run Castrol SRF fluid, Hawk DTC-70 pads front and Raybestos ST47 rear, OEM rotors which can be replaced for about $360 each on eBay (actual OEM Brembo rotors), and Dunlop Sport Maxx Race and Nitto NT-01's on 2 sets of spare OEM GT-S wheels. Only 1 issue in 3 years, and that is one motor mount replaced under warranty last year. Other than that, zero issues with the car on track or on the road. Car could certainly use more brake cooling as the front OEM rotors eventually crack and need to be replaced, but at $700 a set once or twice a year, not really an issue since a track day costs a whole lot more than that. Rear rotors are still fine and have not had to replace those. The car wears its rear tires out quite a bit faster than the fronts, so that is a bit of a pain. I also ran PSC2's, and same for those. GT-S needs more rear tire for the track. I am waiting for the Tikt brake cooling group buy to happen. Come on guys!

i run with a bunch of guys with GT3RS's. All they say is that it is a terrible car to drive on the street, and they all trailer their cars to the track. GT3's are better for the street, and all Porsches are great track cars, no doubt. GT-S is just great on the street, and driven to the track. Was just on track last Wednesday and had a great time. And as usual, no issues. My AMG service rep was just at the house today to pick up my GT-S for a software upgrade, and he left me a GLC AMG C43 for a couple of days until he brings my GT-S back. Great service too.
Thank you very much for this info, it ties in with other feedback and advice I've had.

Are you able to stay with your RS buddies on the track? I would definitely be going with coilovers and aggressive geo setup, plus a front splitter to reduce lift, is there room for a wider wheel/tyre?
Old 05-29-2019, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by Pete De La Mare
Thank you very much for this info, it ties in with other feedback and advice I've had.

Are you able to stay with your RS buddies on the track? I would definitely be going with coilovers and aggressive geo setup, plus a front splitter to reduce lift, is there room for a wider wheel/tyre?
Not keeping up with my RS buddies on track, and they are running Hoosiers on Forgeline wheels. But running close with GT3's. I ran with NT-01's on my OEM GT-S wheels in 285/35/19 front and 315/30/20 and have had zero rubbing issues. My GT-S is on OEM suspension, not lowered and running OEM track alignment that car came with for its Dynamic pack and PSC2 tires in stock sizes fitted when I bought it. I was thinking of trying the PSC2's in 275/35/19 front and 325/30/20 rear on the OEM 9 and 11 inch wheels. But aside from wider rear tires on the GT-S, next best mod would be brake cooling before anything else.
Pete De La Mare (05-30-2019)
Old 05-30-2019, 12:51 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
porsche 911 turbo
Improved brake cooling on many of the Porsche GT cars is from fairly low-tech scoops that attach underbody to the lower control arms and just direct more air towards the calipers.

With all the cool newer technology like laser scanners, rapid CAD design, and direct to 3D product printing, it seems like it wouldn't be an enormous task to design and fabricate a set of brake air scoops for the front and produce them very cost effectively...

In fact lots of folks owning other vehicles have started with these $30 scoops and retrofitted them to their non Porsches. Currently, I'm a Porsche owner and GT-S shopper so I can't just go take a look. What does the lower control arm setup look like on a GT?

These are the upgraded GT3 front brake scoops that literally zip-tie on to the LCAs.

Last edited by pfbz; 05-30-2019 at 12:54 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by pfbz:
BLKROKT (06-01-2019), California John (05-30-2019), Pete De La Mare (05-30-2019)
Old 05-30-2019, 09:21 AM

Received 148 Likes on 95 Posts
GTR
I can only speak about the Tikt brake cooling kit and it is amazing. I only have the front kit and I am on steel rotors.
Old 05-30-2019, 10:32 AM

Received 81 Likes on 38 Posts
AMG GTS
@pfbz I'm working on something similar.

Old 05-30-2019, 11:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 966 Likes on 581 Posts
‘24 BMW iX M60
I can only speak about the Tikt brake cooling kit and it is amazing. I only have the front kit and I am on steel rotors.
How was the install?

Straight forward?

Bish
Old 05-30-2019, 11:45 AM

GTR
How was the install?

Straight forward?

Bish
I had a shop install them while I was getting new rotors but they didn't charge me for the install because they said it was super easy.
thebishman (05-30-2019)
Old 05-30-2019, 01:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘24 BMW iX M60
I just sent an email to Tikt asking:

1: when might they have rear brake cooling ducts available for purchase, and

2: would they be interested in a Group Buy if enough of us here on the forum were ready to buy.

Bish
Old 05-30-2019, 01:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
porsche 911 turbo
Originally Posted by ronac
@pfbz I'm working on something similar.

Exactly!
Old 05-30-2019, 05:11 PM

Received 81 Likes on 38 Posts
AMG GTS
The rear ones look like this.

Old 05-31-2019, 10:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘24 BMW iX M60
I received a reply from Tikt and they are interested in a Group Buy, offering a discount from MSRP. I’m not sure how much at this time.

Rear brake cooling ducts are still a few weeks away.

Shipping costs are absurd for an individual at 300-350 Euros, but with a GB hopefully that could be markedly reduced.

I’ve asked whether their front brake cooling ducts are for ALL versions of the GT, not just the GTR.

Now it’s a question of how many people might be interested in a GB. I’ll start a new thread when I hear back confirming that the ducts fit all versions, as that is the only way to get the numbers of sold units we need to get the costs down.

Bish
canucklehead (06-01-2019)
Old 05-31-2019, 10:41 AM

GTR
I received a reply from Tikt and they are interested in a Group Buy, offering a discount from MSRP. I’m not sure how much at this time.

Shipping costs are absurd for an individual at 300-350 Euros, but with a GB hopefully that could be markedly reduced.

I’ve asked whether their front brake cooling ducts are for ALL versions of the GT, not just the GTR.

Now it’s a question of how many people might be interested in a GB. I’ll start a new thread when I hear back confirming that the ducts fit all versions, as that is the only way to get the numbers of sold units we need to get the costs down.

Bish
to my understanding the fronts fit on S, C and R. I'm not positive about the base model GT
Old 05-31-2019, 11:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘24 BMW iX M60
to my understanding the fronts fit on S, C and R. I'm not positive about the base model GT

So Tikt just told me their front brake cooling ducts fit on all versions of the GT.

BTW: how/where did you get your Tikt ducts from again?

Bish

Old 05-31-2019, 11:30 AM

GTR
So Tikt just told me their front brake cooling ducts fit on all versions of the GT.

BTW: how/where did you get your Tikt ducts from again?

Bish
Great news for everybody.

I got them directly from Tikt. They made the entire transaction very easy. I'm ordering their bump steer kit from them either this week or next.
thebishman (05-31-2019)
Old 05-31-2019, 04:56 PM

Bish
That shipping charge is insane. How is that possible for some super light CF parts?
Old 05-31-2019, 07:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 705 Likes on 535 Posts
R Nine T
What is shipping charge?
Old 05-31-2019, 08:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘24 BMW iX M60
That shipping charge is insane. How is that possible for some super light CF parts?

I have no idea; it’s absurd!

If we could get say 10 sets sold, perhaps they might ship for free or at least for a much reduced cost.

Bish
Old 06-01-2019, 09:13 AM

I have no idea; it’s absurd!

If we could get say 10 sets sold, perhaps they might ship for free or at least for a much reduced cost.

Bish
Maybe they can ship via Deutche Post instead of by Carbon Fiber Air Bandits.

I'm in for a set of fronts.
Old 06-01-2019, 04:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘24 BMW iX M60
Maybe they can ship via Deutche Post instead of by Carbon Fiber Air Bandits.

I'm in for a set of fronts.
I’ve sent them an email asking for a firm quote on the ducts plus what can be done re: shipping.

I’ll keep everyone informed.

Bish
Old 06-01-2019, 05:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,849 Likes on 1,680 Posts
2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2019 GLE63S Coupe Beast
Originally Posted by pfbz
Improved brake cooling on many of the Porsche GT cars is from fairly low-tech scoops that attach underbody to the lower control arms and just direct more air towards the calipers.

With all the cool newer technology like laser scanners, rapid CAD design, and direct to 3D product printing, it seems like it wouldn't be an enormous task to design and fabricate a set of brake air scoops for the front and produce them very cost effectively...

In fact lots of folks owning other vehicles have started with these $30 scoops and retrofitted them to their non Porsches. Currently, I'm a Porsche owner and GT-S shopper so I can't just go take a look. What does the lower control arm setup look like on a GT?

These are the upgraded GT3 front brake scoops that literally zip-tie on to the LCAs.

This is exactly what I did for my C63. They can be modified for use on practically any car. The 996 GT2 / GT3 Cup ones have an additional section riveted on which make them ~20% more effective (tested). Part# 996-341-117-90 and 996-341-118-90

From top to bottom - standard 911 ducts, GT3 ducts, GT3 RS ducts

GT2 / GT3 Cup ducts

Last edited by BLKROKT; 06-01-2019 at 07:22 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Hard track use upgrades