Coupe/Roadster
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Burmester regular or upgrade for $7k?
Stick with the Regular Burmester
42.86%
You Kidding? Burmester Upgrade, baby!
57.14%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

GTC Roadster: Burmester Upgrade or regular?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-06-2018, 11:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 700 Likes on 533 Posts
R Nine T
Yeah I am just really looking to upgrade the subbase without spending $6000 like every audio shop wants.

So I did find out that the stock Burmester speaker in the rear is 500 and the upgraded Burmester is over 1000. Not sure about compatibility. Hard to figure the **** out
Old 06-01-2019, 01:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 411 Likes on 287 Posts
W463 G550 / C190 GTC //prev: W204 C63 507 / R170
Originally Posted by dlefty

Here ya go:

In the flesh

All covered up
you sure that’s the upgraded High End? That has metal speaker grills - at least on the 2019 GTC I just saw.
Old 06-01-2019, 01:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Just checked out the site:
https://www.burmester.de/en/automoti...cedes-amg.html

The biggest improvement here is not the watts, but the carbon midrange drivers and the extra tweeter. And you can hear the difference even at normal levels without a lossless source.

Plus the metal grills look way better.

$4500 is nothing in the world of high end audio. A home Burmeister system is well north of $100k.

Plus, it’s always nice to know you got “the best” isn’t it?
“The Best or Nothing!”
The following users liked this post:
TheBartman (10-05-2019)
Old 06-01-2019, 02:21 PM

Received 52 Likes on 24 Posts
GLE63S 2016
I leased a 2018 GTC and love it. Wasn't sure about the Burm upgrade, but the dealer advised me to not bother with it because it does not keep its value at all - and under most driving conditions (with the top down for me), you can't perceive the difference between systems.

After having driven the GTC for most of a year, I have to say that I almost never listen to the stereo and instead prefer to listen to the amazing exhaust note in addition to enjoying the more aggressive and involved driving experience. The GTC is NOT the car to have all that irritating and intrusive garbage that imposes upon the driving experience, and I mostly don't even bother with any of it except for the occasional use of the navigation (thought I prefer my phone to the MB nav).

So my vote is to not bother with it. My dealer has only about 1/10 people bother with it and most of them never bother with it again.

I'm probably going to get the new GTC replacement coming up that has apple CarPlay - but that would be the only reason that I would consider upgrading my vehicle.

Having said all of this, I just received my new 2019 white G63. I upgraded the Burm in that vehicle and it is worth every penny. I listen to a lot of classical music in that particular rig, and the upgraded Burm is astonishing in the quality of the music. Pop music also sounds amazing, but the light and subtle qualities of classical music are where there particular Burm system really shines. The chest-thumping rock music in that rig can easily rattle your teeth without any distortion whatsoever. It is an amazing sound system that is probably the best in the industry. I've been enjoying it immensely.....even with audiobooks (just finished Oprah's "The Path Made Clear" - great book!).

JF

Hope that helps.
Old 06-01-2019, 02:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 700 Likes on 533 Posts
R Nine T
Agreed on above post. Regular Burmester fine when you need it. Too small a cockpit to really get the benefit of 16 speakers or whatever.

Again, it’s the source that makes the difference. Sub bass might be a welcome upgrade.
Old 06-01-2019, 02:50 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,238 Likes on 2,017 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by Subatomic Power
I leased a 2018 GTC and love it. Wasn't sure about the Burm upgrade, but the dealer advised me to not bother with it because it does not keep its value at all - and under most driving conditions (with the top down for me), you can't perceive the difference between systems.

After having driven the GTC for most of a year, I have to say that I almost never listen to the stereo and instead prefer to listen to the amazing exhaust note in addition to enjoying the more aggressive and involved driving experience. The GTC is NOT the car to have all that irritating and intrusive garbage that imposes upon the driving experience, and I mostly don't even bother with any of it except for the occasional use of the navigation (thought I prefer my phone to the MB nav).

So my vote is to not bother with it. My dealer has only about 1/10 people bother with it and most of them never bother with it again.

I'm probably going to get the new GTC replacement coming up that has apple CarPlay - but that would be the only reason that I would consider upgrading my vehicle.

Having said all of this, I just received my new 2019 white G63. I upgraded the Burm in that vehicle and it is worth every penny. I listen to a lot of classical music in that particular rig, and the upgraded Burm is astonishing in the quality of the music. Pop music also sounds amazing, but the light and subtle qualities of classical music are where there particular Burm system really shines. The chest-thumping rock music in that rig can easily rattle your teeth without any distortion whatsoever. It is an amazing sound system that is probably the best in the industry. I've been enjoying it immensely.....even with audiobooks (just finished Oprah's "The Path Made Clear" - great book!).

JF

Hope that helps.
We have the base Burmester in our GTC roadster as well and I am happy with the sound quality in the car. My issue is that the the felt liner in the passenger wheel well vibrates like crazy and hits the inside of the rear bumper. One the outside it sounds like the car is falling apart with bass-heavy music. Listen to house music, etc. How does yours sound when standing next to the car on the passenger side?
Old 09-11-2019, 08:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

JF

Hope that helps.
There is no upgraded Burmester for the G63 in Canada. All G wagons get the same system! Can’t wait until I get my G550 next month!
Old 09-11-2019, 09:00 PM

Received 536 Likes on 293 Posts
18 AMG GTC and 22 F150 Limited. Past owner 16 Maybach, 17 Brabus Smartcar, 06 Ford E150, and 22 G70
Got the burm upgrade in my 18 gtc and the burm 3D in my 16 maybach. The 3D is by far the best sounding system I have ever herd. The burm In the gtc does sound good though.
Old 09-12-2019, 06:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Amg GTS Edition one
I had the high end burmester on my amg gts but i never put any music or what ever in the car , this is a sport car if you dont enjoy the sound of the V8 , better switch to tesla . At least is cheaper and more comfortable .
Old 09-13-2019, 09:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Spent a day driving a GTC with the std Burm. It’s decent but not amazing. It’s slightly better than the HK in my C63 but not much. I would get the upgraded Burm.
Old 10-05-2019, 09:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Just an update - I have now heard both the regular Burmester and the High End in the AMG GT C Coupe. I have to say they are not really comparable. The High End is WAY better. I’m not talking about absolute volume either. The clarity, separation of notes, and overall sound quality is far better than the regular. You also don’t have those cheap looking black plastic speaker grills, from which you can see through to the cheap looking midrange in the doors.

If you never listen to the radio, which I get because the V8 sounds incredible, then no worries. But if you are speccing a new GT, definitely get the High End if you listen to music.
The following users liked this post:
thebishman (10-05-2019)
Old 10-05-2019, 11:49 AM

Received 52 Likes on 24 Posts
GLE63S 2016

Originally Posted by Surge
Just an update - I have now heard both the regular Burmester and the High End in the AMG GT C Coupe. I have to say they are not really comparable. The High End is WAY better. I’m not talking about absolute volume either. The clarity, separation of notes, and overall sound quality is far better than the regular. You also don’t have those cheap looking black plastic speaker grills, from which you can see through to the cheap looking midrange in the doors.

If you never listen to the radio, which I get because the V8 sounds incredible, then no worries. But if you are speccing a new GT, definitely get the High End if you listen to music.

I have the regular Burm in my GTC, but opted for the high end Burm in my G63. The difference is incredible, but the high end Burm in my opinion is wasted in the GTC because the cabin noise is really focused on the environment and engine sound. I never have the radio on in that car, and the top is down all the time.

But the G63 is a hermetically sealed personal theatre that is beautifully enhanced by the high end Burm. I have Mozart’s K331 on the same playlist as Aerosmith’s Love in an elevator.....and I absolutely love it in the G63. I could not imagine a lesser sound system in that vehicle.

And the Engine sound in the G63 still comes through! It is automotive Nirvana!

Last edited by Subatomic Power; 10-05-2019 at 11:52 AM.
Old 10-05-2019, 01:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I have the regular Burm in my GTC, but opted for the high end Burm in my G63. The difference is incredible, but the high end Burm in my opinion is wasted in the GTC because the cabin noise is really focused on the environment and engine sound. I never have the radio on in that car, and the top is down all the time.

But the G63 is a hermetically sealed personal theatre that is beautifully enhanced by the high end Burm. I have Mozart’s K331 on the same playlist as Aerosmith’s Love in an elevator.....and I absolutely love it in the G63. I could not imagine a lesser sound system in that vehicle.

And the Engine sound in the G63 still comes through! It is automotive Nirvana!
I have the high end Burm in the G550. It’s very nice, but the high end in the AMG GTC is better.
I agree that the engine note is the start of the audio show with the GT; I usually mute it when driving hard. Then unmute at stoplights
Old 10-05-2019, 01:36 PM

Received 245 Likes on 152 Posts
Designo White AMG GTS
The high end Burmester is much better. I was looking for a car with one but ended up buying an in stock car without one. I spent the difference on aftermarket stereo equipment. If you don't want to modify your car, definitely opt for one with the higher end Burmester.
Old 10-05-2019, 06:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 219 Likes on 155 Posts
2018 Solarbeam Yellow AMG GTS
I would get it so as not to regret it every day you drive it. But honestly, I don’t listen critically when driving .
Old 10-05-2019, 07:22 PM

Received 245 Likes on 152 Posts
Designo White AMG GTS
Originally Posted by AMG 17GT

Yeah I am just really looking to upgrade the subbase without spending $6000 like every audio shop wants.

So I did find out that the stock Burmester speaker in the rear is 500 and the upgraded Burmester is over 1000. Not sure about compatibility. Hard to figure the **** out
Your easiest bet is probably to add a prefab JL audio box (https://www.jlaudio.com/cs112lg-tw3-...-systems-93305) , a JL XD amp (https://www.jlaudio.com/xd300-1v2-ca...plifiers-98601), and a line out converter ($100-200). All total around $1000 and more bass than even the upgraded Burmester.

If you want the sub to be integrated instead of just a big box sitting in the trunk, add maybe $500 in labor.
Old 10-05-2019, 08:03 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,238 Likes on 2,017 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by Surge
I have the high end Burm in the G550. It’s very nice, but the high end in the AMG GTC is better.
I agree that the engine note is the start of the audio show with the GT; I usually mute it when driving hard. Then unmute at stoplights
You have a coupe though. The roadster is a very different car, sound-wise. Much louder top down and more so top-up. Feels less critical on that type of car...
Old 01-02-2020, 08:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I managed to figure out the differences between the two Burmester installations on the GTC and thought I’d forward them.

“Regular” Burmester: 640 Watts from 10 speakers as well as 240 Watt Sub

“Upgraded” Burmester: 1000 Watts from 11 speakers as well as 400 Watt Sub.

The $6900+tax upgrade gets to 360 extra watts of sound dispersion and 160 more watts of kick (both mostly imperceptible in most instances).

You can only really perceive a difference if you listen to a “line connected” iphone, playing a “lossless” sound source. This means uncompressed AAC audio files and not MP3 files. Almost nobody knows or cares what that means, because sound quality differences most of the time are not hugely different.
Respectfully disagree with 100% of this. Watts are not like horsepower. In theory, you won’t notice the additional 360 W for the High End system. But in practice, you do, at all sound levels, and with all types of sound files. This is because the amps (which are also upgraded) don’t have to work as hard because you’re not using as much of their max power. In addition, the speaker drivers are significantly improved.
Old 01-02-2020, 08:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Can someone point out where the 11 speakers are? With 1 in the trunk and 1 in the center of the dash, that leaves 9, which doesn’t make sense. There must be 2 in the center of the dash? That would then leave 8, which is 4 per side.
Old 01-02-2020, 08:54 PM

Received 184 Likes on 141 Posts
/////PRO
It’s simple. Car with and without the premium Burmester is extremely different, can listen to either for 2 seconds and realize one sounds superior to the other.
If factory sound is not of importance, save the $, if you enjoy music and enjoy clarity, volume, and superior high end and bass response, get the premium. In the ‘16 GTS the better one code 811 Burmester High-End Surround Sound System.....that’s what to look for.
Old 01-02-2020, 09:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by dlefty
It’s simple. Car with and without the premium Burmester is extremely different, can listen to either for 2 seconds and realize one sounds superior to the other.
If factory sound is not of importance, save the $, if you enjoy music and enjoy clarity, volume, and superior high end and bass response, get the premium. In the ‘16 GTS the better one code 811 Burmester High-End Surround Sound System.....that’s what to look for.
Agreed. I wasn’t expecting the difference to be so great.