Took The GT to Motorama

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-29-2019 | 05:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

18 AMG GTC and 22 F150 Limited. Past owner 16 Maybach, 17 Brabus Smartcar, 06 Ford E150, and 22 G70
Took The GT to Motorama

Hi all. Last weekend we took the GTC to Motorama at the Atlanta Motor Speedway. I thought I would share some pictures of the event. We were able to do a parade lap each day on the big track. Interesting enough at slower speeds the moment the car gets up on the big banks it throws ABS, Active handling malfunctions till after you drive a bit on level ground. I suspect if I was going much faster there would be no codes or if I had turned off ABS, ect before I went on the big track. If you want to watch the big track lap video here it is

Also i took the car through the autocross. It handled as good as it did with the original Continental tires. Car has the Michelin Pilot Sport 4s on it now. I did a 58.5 where the professional drivers were getting low 50s. Mind you I only did three passes and I didnt even look at the tire pressures before I ran. Otherwise put the car makes it EASY to do autocross. If you wish to watch the video of one of my autocross passes here it is

Heres a few pics from the event.

The following users liked this post:
California John (04-30-2019)
Old 04-30-2019 | 11:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 AMG SL63
Originally Posted by Katie22
Hi all. Last weekend we took the GTC to Motorama at the Atlanta Motor Speedway. I thought I would share some pictures of the event. We were able to do a parade lap each day on the big track. Interesting enough at slower speeds the moment the car gets up on the big banks it throws ABS, Active handling malfunctions till after you drive a bit on level ground. I suspect if I was going much faster there would be no codes or if I had turned off ABS, ect before I went on the big track. If you want to watch the big track lap video here it is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nx6wL4S3-w

Also i took the car through the autocross. It handled as good as it did with the original Continental tires. Car has the Michelin Pilot Sport 4s on it now. I did a 58.5 where the professional drivers were getting low 50s. Mind you I only did three passes and I didnt even look at the tire pressures before I ran. Otherwise put the car makes it EASY to do autocross. If you wish to watch the video of one of my autocross passes here it is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhYcBJF_c1w
What program did you do the autocross in? That is: C, S, S+ etc.
Old 04-30-2019 | 11:47 AM

18 Avent. S, 18 GTS, 17 Cali T, 20 C8, 20 M850
Cool video & pics! Thanks for sharing.
Old 04-30-2019 | 12:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

18 AMG GTC and 22 F150 Limited. Past owner 16 Maybach, 17 Brabus Smartcar, 06 Ford E150, and 22 G70
Hi John. All show attendees could take their cars out on the track and race as many times as they wish if they waited their turn. I did not ask what body it was under. I will say it was ALL turns with no straightaways. As a matter of fact my first pass I experienced for the first time ever undesirable turbo lag coming out of turns. I fixed it in the final two laps be simply coming in hotter and hitting the gas sooner coming out of the turn.

I guess the best way to say was it was for fun as far as I am concerned........

Katie
Old 04-30-2019 | 01:55 PM

1997 SL600, 2017 AMG GTS
I think that John was asking Comfort, Sport, Sport+?

But I thought the same as you, when I first read it. ;-)
Old 04-30-2019 | 02:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Oh sorry. All my trips through were on sport plus. Same for my previous auto cross last year. Might try race one of these days. From what I read race dramatically turns down the active handling. My experience on sport plus is I never notice active handling kicking in on sport plus. In contrast with the Corvettes I have driven you better have car in competitive driving mode or you will experience the computer stepping in at times when you don’t want it to.

Ps would love to know exactly why I get trouble codes on high bank turns of the big track at low speeds.

Last edited by Katie22; 04-30-2019 at 02:15 PM.
California John (04-30-2019)
Old 04-30-2019 | 09:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘24 BMW iX M60
Oh sorry. All my trips through were on sport plus. Same for my previous auto cross last year. Might try race one of these days. From what I read race dramatically turns down the active handling. My experience on sport plus is I never notice active handling kicking in on sport plus. In contrast with the Corvettes I have driven you better have car in competitive driving mode or you will experience the computer stepping in at times when you don’t want it to.

Ps would love to know exactly why I get trouble codes on high bank turns of the big track at low speeds.
I suspect it is due to the computer perceiving a wheel rotational imbalance since one side of the car is much higher up the banking.
Old 04-30-2019 | 09:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘24 BMW iX M60

Try running the car in Sport+; ESP in Sport and shocks on their softest setting
Old 04-30-2019 | 09:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Bushman I dare say your recipe is definitely grounds for the personal setting. Never thought of trying shocks at soft setting.
Old 05-03-2019 | 01:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘24 BMW iX M60
Bushman I dare say your recipe is definitely grounds for the personal setting. Never thought of trying shocks at soft setting.
Autocrossing is not my thing, but the handling principles remain the same. In an Autocross you are using extreme settings of throttle and brake most of the time, meaning full on with the pedals. In order to help handling/traction, you want to maximize weight transfer of the car to which ever end of the car is needed, so: full brakes to initiate a tight turn means not just full brake application but also as much weight transfer forward to help set the suspension to get as much weight on the front tyres as possible; hence soft shocks will allow more weight to compress the springs. Conversely in a full throttle situation you want as much weight on the rear tyres as possible, so soft shock settings will allow the rear springs to compress more due to more rear weight bias. Also if the track is bumpy, a soft shock setting with help keep the contact patch of the tyres on the surface better.

Caveat: IF the soft shock setting harms handling in a slalom area of the course, then maybe one click on the shocks would work best; depends on the course, so best to try a couple of runs on both ‘soft’ and ‘Sport’.
California John (05-03-2019)