Anyone Track a GT R?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-02-2019 | 10:20 AM

E63s AMG
Anyone Track a GT R?

I bought an E63s last year and man i love that car. Since then it can be sometimes infuriating that i cant open it up as much as i want on roads so ive been thinking of getting a track car. I was looking at a GT3- GT3RS and drove a few. After going to AMG Academy I fell in love with the GT R and bought a used one. I live near two tracks so i plan on taking it to the track often. I am prepared for it to be expensive but was wondering from anyone who does consistently track this car, what should i look out for as far as repairs/How often to inspect and change tires/ how often to inspect change brakes, etc?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-02-2019 | 10:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

16 E550 Cab, 2003 Ram bright red crewcab 4x4 we call Clifford :)
https://mbworld.org/forums/amg-gt/70...ience-gtr.html

actually a few.... thebishman seems to run it and document what works and what doesn't, good read...
Old 05-02-2019 | 02:01 PM

E63s AMG
Thanks! Helps a lot. I will read this about 20 times to make sure doing everything right. Just got it off the track and man this thing is great. Will probably need new threads soon. Dealer didn’t replace some of the wrap so 2 small scuffs ( I’m a freak about that) but will probably re do those parts after a few track sessions.

Loving the car though
Old 05-02-2019 | 11:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘24 BMW iX M60
I’m stuck in Dallas waiting on a Southwest flt that I’d bet even money is going to be cancelled after attending the three day Academy Pro+ course at COTA. PM me for any specific questions but in a nutshell:

buy a dedicated set of forged track wheels and place the ‘option’ tyre on them; the MPSC2 ZPs. You don’t have to spend a fortune. I went with Signature wheels and they are great. Huge difference with these tyres!

Change the brake fluid to something super high performance such as Castrol SRF or Endless RF650.

Pay very close attention after every session to the remaining depth of the brake pads, especially the rears if you run with ESP on, even in ‘Sport’ mode. Assume the inner pads are worn around 2mm more than the outer pads, so change them out when you get down to 4mm or so on the outer pads. (Or make sure you check the inners often by removing the wheels and having a look). I use the 1/3rd rule myself, meaning that if only 1/3rd of the OEM pad depth is left it’s time to replace them. Check the wear at the bottom of the pad in the caliper and not just the tops in case they wear in a tapering fashion; I was told this can occur at COTA by an Academy mechanic. OEM pads front and rear run $600 or so, so aren’t too expensive. Pagid make the RSC1 in the GTR sizing which is specifically made for the CCM rotor so whilst it’s a more Track oriented pad, it is still rotor friendly. (There is a reason every GTR and GTS at the Academy runs the CCMs and it’s got everything to do with performance).

Get the windshield protected with Clearplex. The track will destroy/ruin it otherwise.

Never burned a drop of oil or had one maintenance issue. The car is a track rock star. Enjoy.

Bish
The following 4 users liked this post by thebishman:
BucsFan (05-03-2019), California John (05-03-2019), MercAMGgts2016 (05-10-2019), Pete De La Mare (06-27-2019)
Old 05-03-2019 | 08:37 AM

GTR
Originally Posted by Truckin
I bought an E63s last year and man i love that car. Since then it can be sometimes infuriating that i cant open it up as much as i want on roads so ive been thinking of getting a track car. I was looking at a GT3- GT3RS and drove a few. After going to AMG Academy I fell in love with the GT R and bought a used one. I live near two tracks so i plan on taking it to the track often. I am prepared for it to be expensive but was wondering from anyone who does consistently track this car, what should i look out for as far as repairs/How often to inspect and change tires/ how often to inspect change brakes, etc?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Are you on steel rotors or CCM?
Old 05-03-2019 | 10:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2023 Urus Performante - 2021 Ferrari Roma - 2017 Ferrari 488 GTB - 2022 GLE 63 S Coupe
I've tracked the GTR at the AMG Driving Academy. Compared to the 458 I've tracked. There is no comparison. The GTR literally feels like it's super glued to the road and on rails. Bish is def. the person you want advice from on this subject matter.
The following users liked this post:
thebishman (05-03-2019)
Old 05-03-2019 | 12:18 PM

E63s AMG
Originally Posted by MG1422
Are you on steel rotors or CCM?
They Are CCM
Old 05-03-2019 | 12:22 PM

E63s AMG
Your info is great. Truly appreciate it. Hope everything went well with your flight. I just got done with performance AMG Academy but will be signing up for the next level at COTA in December.

I have no where to store tires right now unfortunately as i am in a condo. As far as the brakes i am getting a copy of the 100 point inspection from the dealer i got it from to see where everything is at on the brakes. Tires will need replacing soon. Might do my first day at the track and then change them out. I will probably be sending you some DMs with more questions. Thanks again for the help
The following users liked this post:
thebishman (05-03-2019)
Old 05-03-2019 | 12:24 PM

GTR
Originally Posted by Truckin
They Are CCM
Cool. You MIGHT want to look into the brake cooling ducts but I don't think anyone here has had a problem with the CCM. They would help your pad life though. I'm planning on getting a set of track wheels in the future but right now I run Hoosier R7 tires which are great. Nice thing about the ZPs are cup 2s is that you can drive back home.
Old 05-03-2019 | 01:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘24 BMW iX M60
Cool. You MIGHT want to look into the brake cooling ducts but I don't think anyone here has had a problem with the CCM. They would help your pad life though. I'm planning on getting a set of track wheels in the future but right now I run Hoosier R7 tires which are great. Nice thing about the ZPs are cup 2s is that you can drive back home.
So I was thinking about this on the flight home: the CCMs perform great on the GTR/GTS given how the cars are used at the Academy. The GTRs/GTSs are basically turned on in the morning and left running all damn day long except for getting gas; tyres; lunch break, etc. Depending on which group is running, a GTR may go out on track multiple times in a two hour time frame with just at most 5 minutes between ‘runs’. At no time did the CCMs fade, and in the Pro/Pro+ Academy course you are running ‘data’ laps multiple times, so: an out lap, 2-3 timed hot laps, and then a cool down lap. The tyres go ‘off’ regularly but never the brakes. The one thing that is done is to constantly check the brake pad wear; after every run! Pads are ‘cheap’; rotors stupid expensive.

So your point about the brake ducts is right on point: if an owner tracks the car extensively and by that I mean more than say 4X/year, investing in brake cooling ducts will reduce running costs re: pad replacement.

Wonder why we haven’t heard more from Tikt re: their front/rear cooling duct system?

Bish
Old 05-03-2019 | 01:41 PM

GTR
Originally Posted by thebishman
So I was thinking about this on the flight home: the CCMs perform great on the GTR/GTS given how the cars are used at the Academy. The GTRs/GTSs are basically turned on in the morning and left running all damn day long except for getting gas; tyres; lunch break, etc. Depending on which group is running, a GTR may go out on track multiple times in a two hour time frame with just at most 5 minutes between ‘runs’. At no time did the CCMs fade, and in the Pro/Pro+ Academy course you are running ‘data’ laps multiple times, so: an out lap, 2-3 timed hot laps, and then a cool down lap. The tyres go ‘off’ regularly but never the brakes. The one thing that is done is to constantly check the brake pad wear; after every run! Pads are ‘cheap’; rotors stupid expensive.

So your point about the brake ducts is right on point: if an owner tracks the car extensively and by that I mean more than say 4X/year, investing in brake cooling ducts will reduce running costs re: pad replacement.

Wonder why we haven’t heard more from Tikt re: their front/rear cooling duct system?

Bish
I received my Tikt ducts last week. I'm getting them installed on Monday and testing them out at COTA in 2 weeks. I'm on steel rotors and they are very close to needing to be replaced so I got some girodisc rotors to try out with the Cobalt pads. I really hope the ducts help but we will find out soon.
Old 05-03-2019 | 03:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘24 BMW iX M60
I received my Tikt ducts last week. I'm getting them installed on Monday and testing them out at COTA in 2 weeks. I'm on steel rotors and they are very close to needing to be replaced so I got some girodisc rotors to try out with the Cobalt pads. I really hope the ducts help but we will find out soon.
This is fantastic to hear! Please give us your thoughts ASAP.

Were you able to get both front and rear ducts?
Old 05-03-2019 | 04:04 PM

GTR
This is fantastic to hear! Please give us your thoughts ASAP.

Were you able to get both front and rear ducts?
I only did the front. I drive with the TC to about 6-7 off when I finally get the right temp in the tires and I didn't have any problems with the rear brakes IMO. I didn't know they had rear ducts until you mentioned it. I thought only renntech had rears.
Old 05-03-2019 | 08:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘24 BMW iX M60
I only did the front. I drive with the TC to about 6-7 off when I finally get the right temp in the tires and I didn't have any problems with the rear brakes IMO. I didn't know they had rear ducts until you mentioned it. I thought only renntech had rears.
I drive the car exactly as you, with ESP Off. This saves the rear brake pads versus leaving ESP on, or even in Sport. I generally drive with TC in its default position which iirc is with 5 leds showing. Car extremely balanced and very controllable this way. Again it’s vital to make sure the tyres are warmed up as you mentioned.

What are your times at COTA?

Bish
Old 05-03-2019 | 09:18 PM

15 AMG S63 4-matic coupe
I’m stuck in Dallas waiting on a Southwest flt that I’d bet even money is going to be cancelled after attending the three day Academy Pro+ course at COTA.

Bish
sigh jealousy is such an ugly emotion....

hope you had fun.
Old 05-04-2019 | 12:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘24 BMW iX M60

So above is a single lap of COTA during the 'Competition' phase. Vbox data shows it as a 2:35 and change lap. Not great but the tyres were already pretty beat; (meaning super hot leaving the pits) on this particular GTR, and I made a couple of mistakes. Regardless I'll take it as it was my first time there and it's a pretty challenging track to learn. Vbox data did document I did a 2:34:54 in an earlier session but there was no video gathered; weird.

I can not encourage all of you to sign up for the AMG Academy enough. It is superb!!!

Bish
The following 4 users liked this post by thebishman:
AtTheGlen (05-06-2019), canucklehead (05-06-2019), JSwan724 (05-05-2019), MG1422 (05-06-2019)
Old 05-06-2019 | 08:09 AM

GTR
I drive the car exactly as you, with ESP Off. This saves the rear brake pads versus leaving ESP on, or even in Sport. I generally drive with TC in its default position which iirc is with 5 leds showing. Car extremely balanced and very controllable this way. Again it’s vital to make sure the tyres are warmed up as you mentioned.

What are your times at COTA?

Bish
I was doing 2:25 at COTA on Hoosier tires cobalt brake pads. It was the first time driving the car I only had 500 miles on it. This is with the turtles around the track which add/subtract maybe 1.5 -2 sec. I'm shooting for a 2:22 this month but I need more seat time in this car.
Old 05-06-2019 | 10:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘24 BMW iX M60
I was doing 2:25 at COTA on Hoosier tires cobalt brake pads. It was the first time driving the car I only had 500 miles on it. This is with the turtles around the track which add/subtract maybe 1.5 -2 sec. I'm shooting for a 2:22 this month but I need more seat time in this car.
Man that is an awesome time!

Please share some videos if you have them.

Bish
Old 05-06-2019 | 03:12 PM

GTR
Man that is an awesome time!

Please share some videos if you have them.

Bish
I'll try to get some this week. They are on a friend's Gopro.
Old 05-06-2019 | 04:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘24 BMW iX M60
I'll try to get some this week. They are on a friend's Gopro.
Was that video of you at COTA posted on the Private Lounge site? You went out following what looks like a Macca 600LT and you had a blue GT3 behind you?
Old 05-06-2019 | 04:24 PM

GTR
Was that video of you at COTA posted on the Private Lounge site? You went out following what looks like a Macca 600LT and you had a blue GT3 behind you?
No that's a buddy, Adam Tobolowsky, who is also one of my coaches. That is in another member's car and I'm pretty sure he was on Hoosier R7s. He is REALLY fast.
Old 05-06-2019 | 07:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R Nine T
That’s fast MG. I think I ran 2:30.

So coming out of those slow corners don’t you believe that car could really use a tune?
Old 05-06-2019 | 08:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 AMG SL63
"Turtles"!!! I'm assuming you mean back markers or slow cars. When I was racing we called them, "rolling chicanes."
Old 05-06-2019 | 09:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘24 BMW iX M60
Originally Posted by California John
"Turtles"!!! I'm assuming you mean back markers or slow cars. When I was racing we called them, "rolling chicanes."
Referring to extremely high bumps off of the normal track line
Old 05-06-2019 | 10:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG GTBS, AMG GTR Pro, AMG GT, C63 AMG, Porsche Panamera 4S, RX-7 FC Turbo II
Referring to extremely high bumps off of the normal track line
A/K/A Gators ........

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Anyone Track a GT R?