Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

extended warranty

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-05-2019, 01:32 PM

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
2016 C300 Luxury
I purchased a '16 CPO C300 Memorial Day, 29k miles. It had a year left of original warranty and then the MBCPO warranty kicked in with another year when the original warranty expired for a total of two years included in the purchase price.

Just before writing a check for the car I was shown the MSRP of a MBCPO Extended warranty - 2 year extension for $3700. I negotiated that price to $1700 and was shown the Dealer cost of $1,600 (I've been a Technology Vendor to Dealerships in the past so they were transparent).

So the Dealer cost is in line with the 2014 PDF that @WildPete posted. That $1,700 2 year extension gives me a total of 4 years of comprehensive warranty with zero deductible. A no-brainer indeed, even on a C300..

Last edited by Ron P Baker; 06-05-2019 at 01:38 PM. Reason: Clarity
Old 06-05-2019, 02:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E350
I just paid $1900 for 2 years of ELW from MB for my E350 (CPO).

I contacted Cassandra Castro <ccastro@iamilwaukee.com> 414-727-6715 after finding her name on this forum.

I was getting quotes of $2900 for same warranty from local dealers!

She apparently sells a lot of these warranties at slim margins.
Old 06-05-2019, 04:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Good tip, I see her name on other Benz sites as well. International Autos in Milwaukee is the dealership group.
Old 06-07-2019, 08:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 151 Likes on 129 Posts
2019 Dune Silver Metallic E-450 Mercedes Cabriolet NEW Mercedes 2020 GLC300 graphite gray SUV
I always get a kick out of these anti-extended warranty as a "waste of money". The same could be said for home or health insurance...right?...my house will never burn down and my health's just fine. Do these people forgo home insurance as a waste of money? I'll bet not....and don't tell me it's not the same. People will spend several thousand dollars on wheels, but not on car protection.

A lot is based on whether you're keeping you car long or short term. I bought my E450 CAB new and plan on keeping for it for at least 7 years. I got a 7 YR 75000 MILE ELW for $1800; an additional 3 year MB warranty. I got mine from Jeff Jackson from Tafel Motors who I highly recommend.
The following users liked this post:
Orcbolg (06-07-2019)
Old 06-07-2019, 09:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 542 Likes on 298 Posts
18 AMG GTC and 22 F150 Limited. Past owner 16 Maybach, 17 Brabus Smartcar, 06 Ford E150, and 22 G70
Originally Posted by rustybear3
I always get a kick out of these anti-extended warranty as a "waste of money". The same could be said for home or health insurance...right?...my house will never burn down and my health's just fine. Do these people forgo home insurance as a waste of money? I'll bet not....and don't tell me it's not the same. People will spend several thousand dollars on wheels, but not on car protection.

A lot is based on whether you're keeping you car long or short term. I bought my E450 CAB new and plan on keeping for it for at least 7 years. I got a 7 YR 75000 MILE ELW for $1800; an additional 3 year MB warranty. I got mine from Jeff Jackson from Tafel Motors who I highly recommend.

Yes I own my house and yes I have NO home insurance. I also until recently had NO health insurance. It came to me when I got married. Funny thing is in the not too distant past there was no insurance whatsoever and the human race is still around. I would suggest the home insurance is different since you live in your home and the car you generally do not. Health insurance is different in the sense that if you dont have it you can barter for lower costs and pay for the services you get out of pocket.

Back to car warranties. You get from the factory 50,000 miles. You pay some exorbitant price for extra warranty till about 100,000 miles. NOW last time I checked basically ANY car sold today is extremely likely to go 100000 miles without any significant problems.
Yes of course the car could burst into flames and the world could end tomorrow but the ODDS are that is not going to happen. The people that sell this junk KNOW this and thats why they sell it. The sucker that buys it ONLY buys it based on FEAR of the unknown. What could happen vs. what is likely to happen. The irony is if someone has a fear that the car is going to have some big failure then WHY the hell did they buy that product in the first place. I could point someone with these fears to Acura, or Lexus but sadly they would probably buy a warranty for these cars as well.........

Furthermore do you think Mercedes would be around for decades if they made cars that regularly had major failures in the first 100000 miles? Do you think consumers are that dumb to buy a brand that fails that often?

Do some research and discover that your Mercedes car or any car for that matter is NOT likely to fail dramatically in the first 100000 miles...............Save your money on the stupid warranty and invest it and use that money for any unlikely repairs.

Last edited by Katie22; 06-07-2019 at 09:27 AM.
Old 06-07-2019, 09:38 AM

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts
2016 AMG GT-S Edition 1, Superformance Cobra 427, 1970 Mustang Mach1, 1970 Hemi Cuda, !996 Viper GTS
I agree with some of what Katie says. Specifically, that yes warranty companies offer their services based on studies of the market and it's risks knowing in the end they will be profitable. I also agree that if you expect a serious failure on a future item being purchased then you should abstain from buying it in the first place. For those reasons I have only once purchased an extended warranty (on my Audi R8).
Having said that, her view (in my opinion) is very closed minded as it fails to factor in the value of peace of mind, greater resale value of a warrantied item and lastly, that all failures need not be major or catastrophic in order for a warranty to be useful and cost justified.
The quote I reference in an earlier post was for 5 years and 60,000 miles with a $100 deductible. The plan was under $2,500 ($500 per year) and transferrable with a pro-rate cancellation refund available. That is well worth it to me. A suspension failure, air conditioning, transmission ...or any of possibly 1000's of parts going wrong make it worth $500 per year for peace of mind alone.
Funny that someone would subscribe to "self-insuring" their home as a financial tool yet own a home when sub 4.0% mortgage rates are available. Clearly their are many things you can do with that home equity that could safely offer a greater rate of return.
Lastly, I don't own my primary residence although financially I certainly could. I have it fully insured with the knowledge that a significant loss is unlikely which is why I have a high deductible yielding lower premiums. Last week a significant hail/wind event hit my area. Bottom line is my insurance adjuster approved a new roof on my 14 year old home and detached garage. At over a 100squre and a cost in excess of $35,000 I was very pleased that insurance was in place. The cost of replacing my roof, whose natural life span was 2/3 over, more then covered my premiums since taking ownership. Point is...**** happens
The following 2 users liked this post by 2016amggtsed1:
Orcbolg (06-07-2019), Ron P Baker (06-08-2019)
Old 06-07-2019, 10:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

18 AMG GTC and 22 F150 Limited. Past owner 16 Maybach, 17 Brabus Smartcar, 06 Ford E150, and 22 G70
I don’t need piece of mind (fear mitigation) when I know the odds, facts, and likelihood’s of the car failing.

Last edited by Katie22; 06-07-2019 at 03:53 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 06-07-2019, 10:59 AM

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts
2016 AMG GT-S Edition 1, Superformance Cobra 427, 1970 Mustang Mach1, 1970 Hemi Cuda, !996 Viper GTS
Originally Posted by Katie22
I don’t need piece of mind (fear mitigation) when I know the odds, facts, and likelihood’s of the far failing.
based on your limited, albeit, closed minded response you clearly do not need or have "piece" of mind, however, "peace" of mind might prove beneficial
Orcbolg (06-07-2019)
Old 06-07-2019, 12:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Limited? That is really funny considering the companies that sell the garbage have noting to do with piece of mind when they decide to offer this crap. They use the fore mentioned things I said, facts, statistics, likelihood, probability, etc.

They only use piece of mind to SELL the product. Remember the car could blow up on you tomorrow mr sucker, please buy this extended warranty.

Disregard the pages of fine print with exclusions such as wear and tear, never mind that many of them require you to have perfect records of the car serviced at the dealer and even then there is likely fine print that allows them to deny a claim. Never mind the ones that require you to service the car at the dealer add unexpected cost since the dealer is often the most expensive service place. Pt Barnum at work.

Why don’t these warranties project out to 200000 miles vs shutting off at a projected 100000? Oh oh I got a guess. They already know the car Will likely last to 100000 miles with no major problems.

I know the opponents of me say it’s my opinion and yes it is as well as the point of view of countless consumer protection groups.

Last edited by Katie22; 06-07-2019 at 11:30 PM.
Old 06-07-2019, 02:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 694 Likes on 437 Posts
AMG
Originally Posted by Katie22

I know the opponents of me say it’s my opinion and yes it is as well as the point of view of countless consumer protection groups.

We know, you never let anyone forget it for very long.
Old 06-07-2019, 03:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 701 Likes on 534 Posts
R Nine T
A lot of cars have known Achilles. My old CL benzes had the magical but dreaded ABC system. Hydraulic fluid, lines, pumps, filters etc. warranties were real expensive on that car, but I got back triple or more on cost. And parts and service were provided at Benz dealers insuring work was done correct (mostly lol).

When i sold or traded those cars, I always got a couple of grand more because of the properly serviced car.

With the GT, this car is as reliable as any performance GT and will probably not have the weaknesses as on prior benzes. But to be able to go out 9 years for 2500$ On a company like Fidelity is very smart money.
The following 2 users liked this post by AMG 17GT:
2016amggtsed1 (06-07-2019), Orcbolg (06-07-2019)
Old 06-07-2019, 07:51 PM

Received 105 Likes on 66 Posts
'18 AMG GTC, '96 BMW 318i, '10 Audi Q5 (wife)
This is a very strange thread to follow. There is no right or wrong answer here, just where you're comfortable.

Katie is right that on average, those who offer extended warranties make a good profit if they are semi-competent with their actuarial calculations.

The issue is with the standard deviation. For an AMG it will be huge compared to say ... a Toyota. So if something does go wrong it can be really expensive. Some people want to cap that downside exposure with an extended warrantee. In this case expected outcomes is the average and risk tolerance is the standard deviation.

Some people buy fixed rate Munis and in a down market they do great. Others buy risky small caps and in a bull market they do great. But each can make the wrong choice at the wrong time. None of us can predict the future, but we can make rational decisions based on both expected outcomes and our own risk tolerance. I have had cars where nothing goes wrong in 10 years, and other cars that as soon as they are out of warrantee it's a nightmare.

If you don't buy an extended warrantee then I hope the average works for you. If you do buy it, you may lose money versus the optimum, but you have capped downside risk for a period of time and will be ahead if something major (or a series of minor things) goes wrong with the car.

Different strokes ...
The following 4 users liked this post by BucsFan:
Orcbolg (06-08-2019), Ron P Baker (06-08-2019), sneezix (06-07-2019), thebishman (06-07-2019)
Old 06-07-2019, 08:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 966 Likes on 581 Posts
‘24 BMW iX M60
^ BucsFan that is one of the most cogent posts I’ve read in a long time; thank you!
BucsFan (06-07-2019)
Old 06-07-2019, 08:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 701 Likes on 534 Posts
R Nine T
Well bucs fan you bring up the most important point. This car is not a domestic or a Toyota and warranties are not rated on AMGS in consumer reports. Parts on this car border on the ridiculous. So even if you’re inclined to install the parts after diagnosing the real problem it’s a financial mess.

Try pricing an AC compressor, any Benz electronics or a wiper motor. It’s insane really.
Orcbolg (06-08-2019)
Old 06-07-2019, 08:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yes bucs something could go wrong no doubt. However it’s very unlikely even for an AMG. Perhaps after 100000 miles.

ps I looked up the warranty company the people here were talking about fidelity platinum. Here’s the synopsis of the exclusions from the website. I am sure there is also a lot of fine print. Needless to say the listed exclusions deffinitly leaves the owner responsible for a lot of potential repairs. So again PT Barnum was right.
PLATINUM EXCLUSIONS:
Brake linings, brake drums and rotors, disc brake pads, standard manual transmission clutch friction disc, pressure plate, pilot bearing, throw-out bearing and arm, air bags, solar powered devices, glass, lenses, sealed beams, body parts and/or panels, weather stripping, trim, moldings, lock cylinders, tires, wheels, all batteries except Hybrid/EV/Hydrogen High Voltage batteries as listed under Gold Coverage, light bulbs, upholstery, paint, bright metal, freeze plugs, filters, heater and radiator hoses, exhaust system, catalytic converter, shock absorbers, work such as front-end alignment or wheel balancing (except when required in conjunction with a mechanical breakdown), safety restraint systems, audio/security or other systems not factory installed, or vinyl and convertible tops.

For the gold and the Powertrain plans THEY DONT EVEN LIST THE EXCLUSIONS.

With further research I was able to find a declaration elsewhere on the Internet. Here is the link https://www.sppexpress.net/images/JMA_VSC.pdf

Got to love all the fine print such as the one saying you must return you car to the dealer that sold you the car OR you must call and get approval for a different shop. If you don’t you have NO coverage. ALSO notice lots of ambiguous wording that allows them to deny claims. Again it’s all a great way to make money off of fear laden people, opps people needing irrational piece of mind.

Last edited by Katie22; 06-08-2019 at 03:36 PM.
Old 06-07-2019, 09:40 PM

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
2024 AMG G63, 2023 Bentley GTC Speed
Originally Posted by AMG 17GT
A lot of cars have known Achilles. My old CL benzes had the magical but dreaded ABC system. Hydraulic fluid, lines, pumps, filters etc. warranties were real expensive on that car, but I got back triple or more on cost. And parts and service were provided at Benz dealers insuring work was done correct (mostly lol).
The only aftermarket extended warranty I ever purchased was on a w215 CL600. If I recall, it was for 4 years, up to 100k miles, at a cost of just under $5k. During the term, it covered ABC pump replacements, coil packs, and a few other items to the tune of just over $20k. The aftermarket warranties were a good bet on the V12 and AMG CL's and S-class back then.
Orcbolg (06-08-2019)
Old 06-09-2019, 07:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 151 Likes on 129 Posts
2019 Dune Silver Metallic E-450 Mercedes Cabriolet NEW Mercedes 2020 GLC300 graphite gray SUV
The Mercedes-Benz Extended Limited Warranty Agreement may be canceled for a full refund at any time prior to the expiration of the New Vehicle Limited Warranty. So, if during the 4 year course of my owning my 2019 E450 if I change my mind, due to the fact that I have one of the problem free vehicles, I can get every penny of my EW back. Every penny! If I'm hard up for the $600 a year warranty I purchased, I can get it all back before 4 years is up. To me, it' a no brainer. Just one covered repair or replacement could cost you thousands.

Can't speak to the other warranties, but MB extended warranties are bumper to bumper except for the battery and lights. Most of us mb "suckers" will have pissed the cost of an EW away in terms of mods, wheels, tunes etc. If I can afford a Mercedes, I can certainly afford a $600 a year "piece of mind" repair policy.
The following 3 users liked this post by rustybear3:
Orcbolg (06-09-2019), Ron P Baker (06-09-2019), thebishman (06-09-2019)