Amg gtr lowering on stock Coilovers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-15-2021, 08:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
amg gts
TIKT coil overs

Originally Posted by Tigerflyboy
I went with the TIKT( Bilstein MDS based) coilovers and they are amazing ! Getting all the associated adjustable sway bar links is also a must.

Now that you’ve had the TIKT suspension for a while do you still like it? How is the street driving with the setup as well as the adjustable suspension pieces? I track and street drive my car frequently but not happy with the stock setup.
Old 12-16-2021, 05:19 PM

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts
2017 AMG GTS
skilly.....i have the renntech's on my gts and haven't adjusted them yet but need to. are you able to turn them with the car up in the air and with the wheels on to take some of the weight off of the spring, or do you have to remove the wheels to gain access to the collar and get the wrench in there. i haven't tried yet, but would rather know the best and easiest way before i try it. thanks!
Old 01-26-2022, 08:11 AM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Mercedes-AMG GTR PRO
A question to you all technical guys. See attached pictured of the coilovers front and rear on my Pro. To lower the car, should I open lock screw an lower the upper ring? I don't want much lowering, just down to the stop ring lowest. If this is correct I will do the lowering myself. Thanks for all advices here.

Front

Rear

Last edited by Frafoss; 01-26-2022 at 10:44 AM.
Old 01-26-2022, 10:59 AM

Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts
2020 AMG GT R Pro
That is the standard procedure of lowing yes, just loosen the lock ring then use turn the spring perch.

However, I think the pro's front doesn't really have any room to go, the rear does but not sure if you want to change the wake of the car - that affects the handling characteristics a lot.
Old 01-26-2022, 11:15 AM

Mercedes-AMG GTR PRO
Originally Posted by supertanch
That is the standard procedure of lowing yes, just loosen the lock ring then use turn the spring perch.

However, I think the pro's front doesn't really have any room to go, the rear does but not sure if you want to change the wake of the car - that affects the handling characteristics a lot.
Thanks for answer. In picture of front and rear coilover there is a gap between lock ring and stop ring of about 7-8 mm. For me that is enough to lower. I don’t know if this gap will give the same in lowering height, but I would give it a go.
Old 04-12-2022, 02:27 PM

Received 384 Likes on 246 Posts
Originally Posted by Frafoss
Thanks for answer. ... I would give it a go.
Any results you'd care to report (final height chosen, effects, ride results, track results, in conjunction with shock adjustments, etc.)?
Old 04-12-2022, 11:02 PM

Mercedes-AMG GTR PRO
Originally Posted by user33
Any results you'd care to report (final height chosen, effects, ride results, track results, in conjunction with shock adjustments, etc.)?
I haven’t driven the car to much because of snow an bad weather. I will have first trackday in May so I know more the. Ride height is down about 1.2 cm all around.
Old 04-13-2022, 05:26 PM

Received 384 Likes on 246 Posts
Look forward to hearing more ... hope you have a great track day.
Old 04-18-2022, 04:08 PM

Received 37 Likes on 11 Posts
E55, Z06
I haven’t driven the car to much because of snow an bad weather. I will have first trackday in May so I know more the. Ride height is down about 1.2 cm all around.
Did you do the adjustments yourself? Just jack up one corner at a time and then adjust each coilover? How did you make sure to lower the left and right side the exact same amount? Did you count the number of threads showing or what?

Thanks!
Old 04-19-2022, 06:55 PM

Mercedes-AMG GTR PRO
Originally Posted by user33
I went for a drive on road this weekend. So far my butt feeling says that ride height and comfort is very acceptable. Actually, I would say comfort is even better than on a standard GTR and GT, which also several magazines has reported. I am very impressed how the suspension tackle bumps and bad tarmac. Looking forward to test on track.
Old 04-19-2022, 06:58 PM

Mercedes-AMG GTR PRO
Originally Posted by acr-c
Did you do the adjustments yourself? Just jack up one corner at a time and then adjust each coilover? How did you make sure to lower the left and right side the exact same amount? Did you count the number of threads showing or what?

Thanks!
I did get a mechanic to help me, but yes jack up one corner at time. I checked all gaps on on all corners at it was similar so I lowered until reaching stop ring. I will check height on all corners after my first trackday.
Old 04-21-2022, 04:51 AM

Received 37 Likes on 11 Posts
E55, Z06
I did get a mechanic to help me, but yes jack up one corner at time. I checked all gaps on on all corners at it was similar so I lowered until reaching stop ring. I will check height on all corners after my first trackday.
Great. Did you take any pictures while you were doing the changes? Do you think you can post any before and after pictures?
Old 04-23-2022, 03:22 AM

Received 82 Likes on 45 Posts
2018 Mercedes-AMG GT R
Or you could get the car corner weighted. Lowering generally affects the toe and camber.
YMMV
Old 08-28-2022, 08:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 623 Likes on 369 Posts
2020 McLaren 720s Spider
contemplating this myself. 1/2" would close the wheel gap enough for me - has anyone done this and has some pics to share?
Old 10-02-2022, 06:54 AM

Received 50 Likes on 10 Posts
AMG GTR
Sorry to bring this back again.

But can the GTR mk1 be lowered on OEMs ?

Or, is there HAS KW for GTR ? I can only find them for GT/GTS.

Thanks for your help !
Old 10-02-2022, 10:16 AM

Received 444 Likes on 238 Posts
AMG GTR
Hi,

The GTR has a height-adjustable coil springs. But, their maximum depth is limited by a stop.

This stop is an aluminum threaded ring, secured with a pressed-in steel pin. (therefore not twistable)

The steel pin can be removed, but it will be easier to remove the entire stop aluminum ring. (Has no other function)

There is enough thread on the shock absorber to go to max depth.

I can't say up to what depth it still works well. Haven't tried it myself. The max possible depth to the stop was enough for me.

You can try it, because you can go higher at any time. The costs are near zero.

Best regards

Stenzel
The following users liked this post:
jb123mb (10-03-2022)
Old 10-03-2022, 06:21 AM

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts
GTR
How much harsher does it make the ride?
Old 10-03-2022, 08:03 AM

Received 444 Likes on 238 Posts
AMG GTR
Originally Posted by jb123mb
How much harsher does it make the ride?
Hi,

Does not change.

You don't change the spring rate or the damping rate.
A high damping rate is usually the cause of "harsh" suspension.
The spring is rarely the cause.

But it may be, that you get into the compression stop, if you set it too low.
The ideal damper working range could also be left.

You just have to test it. The effort is initially low.
If it doesn't fit, you go back. Doesn't cost anything up to here.

Mostly (experience with other cars) 1-1.5" with shorten or aftermarkt springs, work quite well, with stock length shock absorbers.

I have no further experience with GTR series shock absorbers because the maximum series depth is completely sufficient for me.

Best regards

Stenzel
The following users liked this post:
jb123mb (10-04-2022)
Old 10-03-2022, 05:13 PM

Mercedes-AMG GTR PRO
Originally Posted by Stenzel-Germany
Hi,

Does not change.

You don't change the spring rate or the damping rate.
A high damping rate is usually the cause of "harsh" suspension.
The spring is rarely the cause.

But it may be, that you get into the compression stop, if you set it too low.
The ideal damper working range could also be left.

You just have to test it. The effort is initially low.
If it doesn't fit, you go back. Doesn't cost anything up to here.

Mostly (experience with other cars) 1-1.5" with shorten or aftermarkt springs, work quite well, with stock length shock absorbers.

I have no further experience with GTR series shock absorbers because the maximum series depth is completely sufficient for me.

Best regards

Stenzel
I can copy this. I lowered my Pro to the stop rings as Stenzel. No difference in comfort and no issues with rubbing. I guess height decreased about 1 cm, which is ok for me.
Old 10-04-2022, 09:49 AM

Received 50 Likes on 10 Posts
AMG GTR
Thanks for your infos.

No one has a link to KW HAS ? I only find H&R wich are very stiff usually.