Coupe/Roadster
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can’t Decide Between GTS, GTC & GTR. Some info inside.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-02-2020, 04:26 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
C63 AMG
Can’t Decide Between GTS, GTC & GTR. Some info inside.

Hi and Happy New Year to you all!

I’m in a bit of a conundrum (first world problems I know). I’m looking to get into either a GTS, GTC or GTR this year and am torn between them for various pros and cons.

I was hoping you all could give me some direction and assistance via your experience and insights.

I’ll list some information below to give you all some context. Please keep in mind that I am in Ontario, Canada (hour west of Toronto).

My Usage and Purpose: The car will primarily be a weekend car and driven only 3-4 months of the year during summer then kept in the garage the for winter (Ugh Canadian weather). I MIGHT consider a track day or two (if it even makes sense to do so) during the ownership period of the car. Unless I get bit by some track bug and go bonkers with wanting to keep tracking it than that remains to be seen.

*The info below is all for lower km (less than 15k kms) examples*

2016 to 2018 GTS: There a few of these on sale and ones with decent km’s and options are between $100k CAD to $120k CAD. I like these, especially as there are some clean 2016 and 2017 examples in the $110k CAD area. My problem is that obviously they are a grade below the GTC and GTR. Maybe I’m being vain or Elitist but the fact that the GTC are step up (wider track, horsepower etc) really makes me question if I should even with a GTS.

2018 to 2019 GTC: There are a lot less of these, especially so in coupe variant (not a fan of convertibles/spyders, sorry). The couple I’ve seen listed are around $130k CAD to $145k CAD. I know the 2020 MY got the interior refresh and it looks much better but those are approximately $175k plus, no way Jose.

2018 to 2019 GTR: Well, the big daddy of them all, there are 2-3 listed and they are from $160k to $175k with very low km (4k to 5k kms only). One of the ones listed has all the options including CCB and in Green Hell Magno for $165k CAD and with 6k kms. There is another in Selinite Grey Magno without CCB and 5k kms and for $160k. For further context, 2020 MY ones are going for $185k to $200k.

Is it true that Green Hell Magno is a pain in the *** colour to maintain as well as tor resale? Also heard CCB’s are not sought after in retail, does this check out?

So effectively, from the GTS to the GTR with low kms, there is a delta of approximately $40k CAD. If money was no option of course the decision would be easy, but in this case, do you all think that a GTR in my case is the better buy, not to mention better car for me? Part of me just wants to say F$&K it and go for a GTR, but my “reasonable” side has so far stayed my hand.

I appreciate all responses and thank you in advance for your time and insights.
Old 01-02-2020, 08:26 AM

Received 216 Likes on 135 Posts
E55, 380SL, GLA 250 Sport, AMG GTS
GT>Grand Touring. GTS>Grand Touting Sport GTC>Grand Touring Competition GTR>Grand Touring Racing. GTS is being discontinued and is being replaced by GTC. Disagree with the notion that the all digital interior is an upgrade. GTC's plastic appendages such as front spoiler and body side moldings and extra vents not only interferes with the clean, classic body design of the GT it also cheapens the car. GTC's rear steering not a desirable thing. You can achieve GTR horsepower numbers by a simple ECU tune on the GTS.
Old 01-02-2020, 09:41 AM

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts
2014 E550
lol at thinking at GTS looks better than the GTR or GTC...obviously a GTS owner. OP if you can swing it get at least the GTC; that way you wont have any regrets.
The following 2 users liked this post by doulehr:
California John (01-02-2020), Go Dawgs (01-02-2022)
Old 01-02-2020, 09:45 AM

Of course a GTS owner and definately by choice and lol at useless plastic vents and appendages.
The following users liked this post:
speefspeed (01-01-2024)
Old 01-02-2020, 10:24 AM

Received 258 Likes on 140 Posts
AMG GT R Pro
Originally Posted by UCIMBZ
GT>Grand Touring. GTS>Grand Touting Sport GTC>Grand Touring Competition GTR>Grand Touring Racing. GTS is being discontinued and is being replaced by GTC. Disagree with the notion that the all digital interior is an upgrade. GTC's plastic appendages such as front spoiler and body side moldings and extra vents not only interferes with the clean, classic body design of the GT it also cheapens the car. GTC's rear steering not a desirable thing. You can achieve GTR horsepower numbers by a simple ECU tune on the GTS.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder of course - but I love the rear wheel steering and this is the first I’ve heard anyone say otherwise. Not sure why you say it is undesirable?
The following 2 users liked this post by jn66:
AndrewFerg (05-02-2022), sjp3003 (05-01-2022)
Old 01-02-2020, 10:25 AM

Received 258 Likes on 140 Posts
AMG GT R Pro
Forgot to add - I wouldn’t buy this car unless
it was GTC or GTR but I spend a few minutes on the track. Also think the looks are improved in this models.
sjp3003 (05-01-2022)
Old 01-02-2020, 10:42 AM

C63 AMG
Of course a GTS owner and definately by choice and lol at useless plastic vents and appendages.
come on man, who are we fooling here with that comment?
AndrewFerg (05-02-2022)
Old 01-02-2020, 10:42 AM

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by jn66
Forgot to add - I wouldn’t buy this car unless
it was GTC or GTR but I spend a few minutes on the track. Also think the looks are improved in this models.
you wouldn’t buy a GTS because you track or other reasons?
Old 01-02-2020, 10:45 AM

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by doulehr
lol at thinking at GTS looks better than the GTR or GTC...obviously a GTS owner. OP if you can swing it get at least the GTC; that way you wont have any regrets.
I agree, GTC and GTR look much improved. You make a good point, but I think of it this way, If I’m spending approx $135k CAD + 13% tax for a GTC then I might as well spend another $25k and the tax difference and get a GTR. I know the fault in this logic, because at that rate, one could say why not spend an X amount more and get Y car.
Old 01-02-2020, 10:53 AM

Received 245 Likes on 152 Posts
Designo White AMG GTS
Can someone post a GTS and GTC? I’m trying to figure out if ive never seen a GTC in real life or if the differences are so subtle I didn’t think about it/notice it. I know the rear tires are a little wider. Ive seen a few GTRs around and with the huge wing and usually green hell paint it’s obvious.

Thats a tough decision. When I bought mine four years ago, the GTS was the only option. If you don’t modify/tune, then the higher models are a no brainer.

The GT C also features AMG’s performance exhaust system and dynamic engine mounts, as well as increased front-wheel negative camber. Compared with its lesser brethren, the GT C has wider wheels, and its rear fenders are widened by 2.2 inches. There’s also a “sport” suspension, four-wheel steering, adaptive dampers, and larger front brakes. As with the roadster, the coupe wears staggered-width rubber: 265/35R-19 front and 305/30R-20 in back. An additional, more aggressive Race mode and revised gearing for the seven-speed dual-clutch transmission round out the mechanical highlights for the GT C coupe.”

hmmmm

Last edited by kumizi; 01-02-2020 at 11:08 AM.
AndrewFerg (05-02-2022)
Old 01-02-2020, 10:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 694 Likes on 437 Posts
AMG
Looks/money:
If it's primarily a weekend car, I would probably go for the GTR. I don't think the GTC looks different enough from the GTS to warrant the money (the power difference certainly isn't worth it), if aesthetics are your main concern.

Paint:
As far as magno paint goes, if it doesn't already have full xpel stealth, factor in an extra $5k+ to have the car done up, because that paint is much more prone to chipping than normal, and is nearly impossible to touch up without full panel resprays.

CCB:
Based on your expected amount of use, you would probably be fine with the CCB, as they should end up outlasting your ownership of the car. You generally don't want them on a high mileage car, as the rotors are absurdly expensive to replace. They are going to be extra grabby, but will almost eliminate any brake dust, which the MB steels are notorious for. You might get some squeaking, but people with CCB will have to chime in on that.

Interior:
I personally think the updated interiors feel cheaper/more plasticky than the original interiors, but ymmv.

Last edited by Orcbolg; 01-02-2020 at 11:12 AM.
Old 01-02-2020, 10:58 AM

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Orcbolg
Looks/money:
If it's primarily a weekend car, I would probably go for the GTR. I don't think the GTC looks different enough from the GTS to warrant the money (the power difference certainly isn't worth it), if aesthetics are your main concern.

Paint:
As far as magno paint goes, if it doesn't already have full xpel stealth, factor in an extra $5k+ to have the car done up, because that paint is much more prone to chipping than normal, and is nearly impossible to touch up without full panel resprays.

CCB:
Based on your expected amount of use, you would probably be fine with the CCB, as they should end up outlasting your ownership of the car. You generally don't want them on a high mileage car, as the rotors are absurdly expensive to replace. They are going to be extra grabby, but will almost eliminate any brake dust, which the MB steels are notorious for. You might get some squeaking, but people with CCB will have to chime in on that.

Interior:
I personally think the updated interiors feel cheaper/more plasticky than the original interiors, but ymmv.

Thank you for the insight. Much appreciated.
Old 01-02-2020, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by kumizi
Can someone post a GTS and GTC? I’m trying to figure out if ive never seen a GTC in real life or if the differences are so subtle I didn’t think about it/notice it. I know the rear tires are a little wider. Ive seen a cew GTRs around and with the huge wing and usually green hell paint it’s obvious.
If you see a GT and think to yourself why everything on this car seems like an afterthought you are looking at a GTC.
Old 01-02-2020, 11:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMG GTS
Based on the information you supplied, I would go with a nice optioned out GTS. Tune it and don't look back. The GTS is an amazing and incredibly capable car which will fit your needs well.
Old 01-02-2020, 11:08 AM

Received 107 Likes on 64 Posts
'07 CL550
A GT R would be a waste outside of track, so it’s really a decision between the GT S and GT C. I picked up a well specced 2017 GT S with warranty till May 2021 from a friend’s dealership for $100k CAD this year. It’s at the better end of deals, but should give a better idea of what’s possible.

The GT C gets you 10% more power, rear wheel steering, and the panamericana grille for 30% more money. For me, a GT S was better value for the money, and I was already stretching my budget a bit to get one.

Be aware that acceleration is traction limited below third gear, so more power won’t help acceleration there.

I initially preferred the panamericana grille, but now I’ve come to really appreciate the older “diamond” grille, particularly because of its better resemblance to the 300SL street car.

I also live an hour west of Toronto, so PM me if you want to meet some time.

Last edited by wizee; 01-02-2020 at 11:20 AM.
Razzy (01-02-2020)
Old 01-02-2020, 11:10 AM

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by KenGross
Based on the information you supplied, I would go with a nice optioned out GTS. Tune it and don't look back. The GTS is an amazing and incredibly capable car which will fit your needs well.
thanks for the input. If I got a GTS I would definitely tune it and maybe do a resonator delete. No way a GTS is having less HP than my W204 C63 AMG (with only a tune) lol.
Old 01-02-2020, 11:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Can someone post a GTS and GTC? I’m trying to figure out if ive never seen a GTC in real life or if the differences are so subtle I didn’t think about it/notice it. I know the rear tires are a little wider. Ive seen a cew GTRs around and with the huge wing and usually green hell paint it’s obvious.
Agreed, and almost every one I've seen posted online gets confused for a GT/GTS. The only way to tell them apart is the rear bumper.

-jms438z.png

-8suwbs7.png
Old 01-02-2020, 11:16 AM

C63 AMG
Comparing a pre-facelift GTS to a GTC is easier to tell the difference in my opinion. The front grille, sideskirts, and massive rear are a giveaway.
Old 01-02-2020, 11:19 AM

Agreed, and almost every one I've seen posted online gets confused for a GT/GTS. The only way to tell them apart is the rear bumper.

And those hideous side skirts and front intake splitters.
Old 01-02-2020, 11:22 AM

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by wizee
A GT R would be a waste outside of track, so it’s really a decision between the GT S and GT C. I picked up a well specced 2017 GT S with warranty till May 2021 from a friend’s dealership for $100k CAD this year. It’s at the better end of deals, but should give a better idea of what’s possible.

The GT C gets you 10% more power, rear wheel steering, and the panamericana grille for 30% more money. For me, a GT S was better value for the money, and I was already stretching my budget a bit to get one.

Be aware that acceleration is traction limited below third gear, so more power won’t help acceleration there.

I initially preferred the panamericana grille, but now I’ve come to really appreciate the older “diamond” grille, particularly because of its better resemblance to the 300SL street car.

I also live an hour west of Toronto, so PM me if you want to meet some time.

beautiful car. Thanks for sharing. I may just have to hit you up! Do you drive it in the winter?
Old 01-02-2020, 11:24 AM

Received 107 Likes on 64 Posts
'07 CL550
Originally Posted by Razzy
beautiful car. Thanks for sharing. I may just have to hit you up! Do you drive it in the winter?
I sometimes take it out on warmer days (above 4 C) if the roads aren’t too filthy. Too impatient for full hibernation. I currently don’t have winter tires for it.
Old 01-02-2020, 11:25 AM

Designo White AMG GTS
If you’re open to modifying...

I’d either get a GTS and save the money. All make same hp with a tune. I have 325 tires on my GTS.

or get a green hell GTR; really stands out, track capable, etc (this is the only model I’ve thought about upgrading to)
Old 01-02-2020, 11:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
If you’re open to modifying...

I’d either get a GTS and save the money. All make same hp with a tune. I have 325 tires on my GTS.

or get a green hell GTR; really stands out, track capable, etc (this is the only model I’ve thought about upgrading to)
Agree with this completely. Though I think yellow and red GTRs are much less common, and thus better.

And those hideous side skirts and front intake splitters.
Depends on the spec, the two blue cars are not the same. Left GTC, right GT, both have the side skirt.

Last edited by Orcbolg; 01-02-2020 at 11:33 AM.
Old 01-02-2020, 11:46 AM

Designo White AMG GTS
Ahhh I gotta check for the scoops/vents on the rear bumper to tell if it’s a GTC.
Old 01-02-2020, 12:21 PM

Depends on the spec, the two blue cars are not the same. Left GTC, right GT, both have the side skirt.
Nevertheless.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Can’t Decide Between GTS, GTC & GTR. Some info inside.