Battery Issue?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-10-2020, 02:27 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
AMG GTR
Battery Issue?

Hi,

My car's battery recently went dead and required to be jump-started. I left my car in the garage for only about 1.5 week (prior to that, I daily drove it for ~30 km a day). I do have an installed dash cam which I set it to be turned off at 12.3 V. Anyone has similar issues with the battery being dead so quickly? Or do you think it might be the dash cam or if there is underlying problem with my battery (2018 AMG GTR. I did purchase the car second hand, it only had 4000 km on it when I bought it last Nov, it didn't seem like there was an issue with the battery before but who knows).

Thanks
Old 03-10-2020, 02:41 PM

Received 245 Likes on 152 Posts
Designo White AMG GTS
Mine died once when I listed to my stereo in my garage with the car off for 5-6 minutes. Roadside jump started it and I haven't had a problem since. It's probably the dash cam although I'm no electrical expert.
Old 03-10-2020, 09:40 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
07 C63, 23 G63
I had the same issue with my E63S, Blackvue 900S with power magic pro. I left it on 24 hour though so I believe it was my fault not the voltage cutoff. Plugged the car into the Ctek and left it for about a week, starter battery was back to normal. Don't think it's an issue specifically with the battery, just the cameras taking too much draw from the starter battery.
Old 03-10-2020, 10:06 PM

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
19 AMG GT R, 20 Porsche Cayenne
Which location did you plug the dash cam to?
Also, did you receive a battery tender/charger when you bought the car, if you didn’t, getting one is a good idea.

My car was parked from December 20 to Feb 15, didn’t start in between and no issues. I’ve always plug in the battery charger/maintainer in the trunk socket if I don’t plan to drive the car for more than a week.
Old 03-10-2020, 10:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
AMG GTR
I have my dash cam installed into the car (it wasn't plugged into the 12 V socket). I do have trickle charger but I did not have access to a plug near my parking spot. I guess I will just have to drive more often.
Old 03-11-2020, 01:23 AM

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
19 AMG GT R, 20 Porsche Cayenne
Originally Posted by jeffreywang
I have my dash cam installed into the car (it wasn't plugged into the 12 V socket). I do have trickle charger but I did not have access to a plug near my parking spot. I guess I will just have to drive more often.
Understood, that’s a common problem many have to deal with, lack of spots to plug in for a charge. After you get the car going, maybe find a place to plug the battery tender in and have a read of what’s the status of the battery. And if you could, maybe leave it in for like a night so the battery gets fully charged. Then like you mentioned, driving more is the solution. I’m in greater Vancouver area as well, White Rock/South Surrey