C8 & My First Impressions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-25-2020 | 08:06 AM

2016 AMG GTS / 2015 S63
I had a GT S last year and sold it. I purchased and took deliver on a C8 about a month ago. The C8 has. 2LT package with only performance exhaust, so the list was $68,500. It does not have Z51 package or magnetic ride. It is not hard to get the C8 out to $80k in price. I had a C7 last year with magnetic ride, and it was a must with the C7. When I switched the magnetic ride off in that car, it was very bouncy. Here is my impression of both cars. A C8 with moderate equipment is going to run around $70-$75k. A used low mileage 2016 GT S will run you about $75-$80k, with under 10k miles. I agree that the Corvette is a rare sight right now and does get looks. In 12 months, there will be more in the road. Last year, I saw one other GT in Minnesota. The C8 has a very comfortable ride. I have an S63 right now and I actually just told people that the C8 rides just as good. It seems a little soft, when moving left and right, going down the highway. The interior is nicely lauded out, and has plenty of room. I am 6’ tall and weigh 250 pounds with a muscular frame, plus a little extra padding, if you know what I mean. There is plenty of seat travel in the C8. I usually have to have the seat all of the way back in these cars and I didn’t in the C8. I too don’t care for the back of the C8, as it looks like a Camaro to me. I didn’t want the Z51 package either, as I thought the spoiler looked cheap and cheesy. The car is so quiet, when you are in the car, that I had to check if it was running When stopped at an intersection. Not a sports car feel with the exhaust, and mine had performance exhaust.

Now, here comes the rest of the story. I sold the C8 because I had someone offer me $10k more than what I paid and I knew I could get another one next year. I just bought another GT S and I am waiting to take delivery. I live the looks of the GT S and it is a more exclusive car, in terms of meeting another one in the road. The exhaust sound on the GT S Is a beautiful sound. It gurgles even when idling. The GT S, in my mind, is a tighter fit As far as seating. It definitely feels more like a sports car to me. Between the C7, C8, S63 and the GT S, I would rather have the GT S. Now, I am comparing, as mine was equipped, with a $68.5k C8 with an original priced car of $145k car new on the GT S. When comparing a new C8 and a used GT S, the GT S definitely has a more exotic feel, dollar for dollar. Either car is going to cost around $10k in depreciation over a 1-2 year time frame, maybe more on the C8. These opinions are just mine, of course.

Last edited by 612ride; 04-25-2020 at 08:09 AM.
The following 7 users liked this post by 612ride:
Hetzle (04-27-2020), hookson (04-26-2020), JSwan724 (04-25-2020), N-4Speed (04-29-2020), Orcbolg (04-25-2020), thebishman (04-25-2020), wizee (04-25-2020) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-29-2020 | 01:13 PM

18 Avent. S, 18 GTS, 17 Cali T, 20 C8, 20 M850
Originally Posted by 612ride
I had a GT S last year and sold it. I purchased and took deliver on a C8 about a month ago. The C8 has. 2LT package with only performance exhaust, so the list was $68,500. It does not have Z51 package or magnetic ride. It is not hard to get the C8 out to $80k in price. I had a C7 last year with magnetic ride, and it was a must with the C7. When I switched the magnetic ride off in that car, it was very bouncy. Here is my impression of both cars. A C8 with moderate equipment is going to run around $70-$75k. A used low mileage 2016 GT S will run you about $75-$80k, with under 10k miles. I agree that the Corvette is a rare sight right now and does get looks. In 12 months, there will be more in the road. Last year, I saw one other GT in Minnesota. The C8 has a very comfortable ride. I have an S63 right now and I actually just told people that the C8 rides just as good. It seems a little soft, when moving left and right, going down the highway. The interior is nicely lauded out, and has plenty of room. I am 6’ tall and weigh 250 pounds with a muscular frame, plus a little extra padding, if you know what I mean. There is plenty of seat travel in the C8. I usually have to have the seat all of the way back in these cars and I didn’t in the C8. I too don’t care for the back of the C8, as it looks like a Camaro to me. I didn’t want the Z51 package either, as I thought the spoiler looked cheap and cheesy. The car is so quiet, when you are in the car, that I had to check if it was running When stopped at an intersection. Not a sports car feel with the exhaust, and mine had performance exhaust.

Now, here comes the rest of the story. I sold the C8 because I had someone offer me $10k more than what I paid and I knew I could get another one next year. I just bought another GT S and I am waiting to take delivery. I live the looks of the GT S and it is a more exclusive car, in terms of meeting another one in the road. The exhaust sound on the GT S Is a beautiful sound. It gurgles even when idling. The GT S, in my mind, is a tighter fit As far as seating. It definitely feels more like a sports car to me. Between the C7, C8, S63 and the GT S, I would rather have the GT S. Now, I am comparing, as mine was equipped, with a $68.5k C8 with an original priced car of $145k car new on the GT S. When comparing a new C8 and a used GT S, the GT S definitely has a more exotic feel, dollar for dollar. Either car is going to cost around $10k in depreciation over a 1-2 year time frame, maybe more on the C8. These opinions are just mine, of course.
I agree with your all of your points, however, I don’t have Mag Ride in my C8, but had it in my C7-Z06. I prefer C8 as it relates to road compliance and comfort. Even when I tracked my C7, I had it on comfort setting, but this is just a personal preference. I would go as far as saying C8 rides better than all my current cars including my M850.

I agree that our GTXs are very special and rare. Since they came out in 2015, not counting car shows/events, I have only seen 2 GTXs on the road. I live in Dallas area and have seen way more Lambos and Ferraris during that time.

I also don’t care for the tacked-on side scopes, although the rear end started to grow on me. If the rendering for Z06 are semi accurate, I can live with side scopes, it looks more like C8R.

With regards to your comment on exhaust notes, agree 100%, although C8 sounds great above 4 grand, it is very quiet otherwise. When I start my GTS, I feel like I am in a GT3 race car, it is pure bliss!

I was also tempted to sell my C8 and pocket $10-$15K, but I am having too much fun for now 😊

I tracked it on MSR last week. I don’t have Z51 but have the NPP. I tried both auto and manual shifting in track mode. Although in auto mode DCT fluid got too hot (230°), C8 did a great job selecting the right gear in just about every situation. I don’t track my cars that often and don’t care for the rear spoiler on Z51, but for heavy track use, Z51 with extra heat exchanger is the way to go.

Brakes were great, however pedal got spongy toward the end, but switching to race fluid should fix that. The car/tires communicate very well and give you fair warning before rear-end breaks loose. Overall, the car performed very well on all season tires and compare to my C7/Z06, I felt it cornered and handled better. I would go as far as saying C8 is the best car I have had/experienced including the Italians (mid-engine or not) when it comes to cornering, handling and road compliance.

I also did few 0-60 launch and got 2.9 & 2.95. I think with stickier tires, it can do 2.8 or better. Z51s are doing 2.6 sec which is impressive! Here are videos & pics from tracking, launch, etc:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wml8...ature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQ0v...ature=youtu.be

The following users liked this post:
thebishman (04-30-2020)
Old 05-25-2022 | 09:16 AM

PORSCHE PANAMERA TURBO LAMBORGHINI GALLARDO SL600 E55 BRABUS*SOLD*
Two years later and the C8 is still selling 20K over sticker used. 3 years of production it has ZERO depreciation thus far.
The demand for this car is off the charts overall and soon Z06 will be released selling 50-100K over sticker.
The current Z06 waiting list is 3-4 years. Kudos GM has released an amazing car with huge demand.

Last edited by AZBENZ-CTSV; 05-25-2022 at 09:47 AM.
Old 05-25-2022 | 05:36 PM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
I saw one the other day, thought it was a Ferrari lol.
Old 05-25-2022 | 06:37 PM

18 Avent. S, 18 GTS, 17 Cali T, 20 C8, 20 M850
I sold the coupe $15K over what I paid and got a convertible. Lots of value for your buck!

Old 05-25-2022 | 06:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R Nine T
What designer thought that all that exterior plastic trim was a good idea ?

it’s really laughable that after all these years the Corvette cannot get over simple trim quality.
Old 05-25-2022 | 07:38 PM

PORSCHE PANAMERA TURBO LAMBORGHINI GALLARDO SL600 E55 BRABUS*SOLD*
^^^^^
Looks pretty sweet to me.

Last edited by AZBENZ-CTSV; 05-25-2022 at 07:46 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by AZBENZ-CTSV:
hyperion667 (05-25-2022), N-4Speed (05-28-2022), thebishman (05-27-2022)
Old 05-28-2022 | 05:32 AM

BMW M4
Originally Posted by 612ride

Great points, closer to the west coast, 16’ GTS around 20k miles are in the low $ 90s.
Old 09-07-2022 | 10:03 PM

2016 AMG GTS Edition 1
Great review, agreed the styling takes some getting use to, I had a 2016 C7 and looked into the C8 but was not willing to pay so much $$ over sticker, went with a GTS instead.
Love the garage pic with all you toys, Cheers!