Sponsored by:

RPMs holding or hanging in gear after let off

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-24-2020, 05:28 PM

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts
2017 AMG GT
RPMs holding or hanging in gear after let off

I’ve experienced this in my old 2006 CLS 55 with a supercharger. I noticed this in the GT the other day. While doing some spirited driving, sometimes when you let off the gas after getting into it, the rpms just hang high for several seconds before changing gears.... or you have to give it a bit more gas for it to change gears. Is it a timing or factory tune thing? Doesn’t do it all the time.
Old 04-24-2020, 07:28 PM

Received 107 Likes on 64 Posts
'07 CL550
This is normal on most sporty cars. It does it more in Sport+ and Race modes. The reason for this is that in spirited or track driving, you may momentarily lift off on the throttle, but want to accelerate at full power again soon after. In comfort mode, it will upshift sooner to save fuel.
Old 04-26-2020, 10:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 411 Likes on 287 Posts
W463 G550 / C190 GTC //prev: W204 C63 507 / R170
Originally Posted by Gp17gt
I’ve experienced this in my old 2006 CLS 55 with a supercharger. I noticed this in the GT the other day. While doing some spirited driving, sometimes when you let off the gas after getting into it, the rpms just hang high for several seconds before changing gears.... or you have to give it a bit more gas for it to change gears. Is it a timing or factory tune thing? Doesn’t do it all the time.
I echo the last post. Try driving in Comfort mode and see if it persists.
Also, when the transmission fluid is cold, it’s normally for upshifts to be delayed.
Old 04-26-2020, 12:27 PM

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
AMG GTS
Originally Posted by Gp17gt
Thats normal.