Sponsored by:

Some pic of the AMG GTR roadster

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-05-2020, 01:24 PM

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
GTC roadster
Some pic of the AMG GTR roadster

I took my car for service in Miami and they have the AMG GTR roadster for sale ,didn't like it soo much ,i thing it's not elegant with the big spoiler on the roadster body the coupe looks better to me

Old 05-05-2020, 01:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 694 Likes on 437 Posts
AMG
I've seen it in person as well, and am really not a fan. But then again, it's extremely rare that I think cloth top cars look good.
Old 05-05-2020, 05:17 PM

Received 216 Likes on 135 Posts
E55, 380SL, GLA 250 Sport, AMG GTS
These cars were designed originally as coupes. Ragtops will always look like afterthoughts.
Old 05-05-2020, 05:18 PM

Received 108 Likes on 71 Posts
2016 AMG GTS
I'm a bit confused, the GTR is designed to be a track car, why wouldn't someone just buy the GTC convertible? It's not like power is that much different.

I love the platform, but the number of models is nuts now
The following 2 users liked this post by realien:
kumizi (05-05-2020), thebishman (05-05-2020)
Old 05-05-2020, 05:26 PM

Received 245 Likes on 152 Posts
Designo White AMG GTS
Originally Posted by realien
I'm a bit confused, the GTR is designed to be a track car, why wouldn't someone just buy the GTC convertible? It's not like power is that much different.

I love the platform, but the number of models is nuts now
Yep. Saw one at the dealer and I was wondering if it was some kind of dealer chop job. Why in the world would they make a convertible GTR?
The following users liked this post:
homero gold (05-05-2020)
Old 05-05-2020, 06:22 PM

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts
I cannot do cloth top anymore. Had a R8 Spyder and the amount of heat transfer from the sun was unbearable when I had the top on.
KenGross (05-05-2020)
Old 05-06-2020, 02:55 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3,241 Likes on 2,018 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Convertibles are our preferred ride in the summer and most top down cars sport soft tops these days. Manufacturers have killed hard top convertibles due to weight unless it’s a mid-engine variant that just has to store the small roof plate.

I find the GT roadsters look great even with the soft top up unlike many 4 seaters with a soft top (E or S Class cab, 8 series). The 911 soft top looks decent too IMO.

A convertible with a big wing just looks odd to me. Even the color doesn’t look right. Still a fine car.
ChargedMB (05-06-2020)
Old 05-06-2020, 02:58 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by UCIMBZ
These cars were designed originally as coupes. Ragtops will always look like afterthoughts.
They weren’t. The GT models were planned in coupe and roadster form from the get go. These roadsters are also unique in that they also don’t weigh much more than the coupe and are just as rigid.
They did very little on the design however, the whole softtop mechanism and rear design of the cabin is straight from the SLS.

Last edited by Wolfman; 05-06-2020 at 03:11 AM.
Old 05-06-2020, 03:50 AM

Received 203 Likes on 107 Posts
Wing looks a bit odd and kinda ruins the whole "rounded" aspect that I like. Also green doesn't suit that roadster, but maybe it would be different in person. I really like that diffuser though...

Obv we are all biased here lol, but I disagree. I usually hate convertible/roadster versions of cars, but the GT can go either way. The soft top shape doesn't lose the GT identity.

I think going roadster on the GT works well cause unlike on the SLS, you dont lose the gullwing doors + the sound you hear with the top down doesn't compare to the coupe. That last point might sound dumb, but you wont disagree if you experience it.
Old 05-06-2020, 04:26 AM

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
S63 , AMG GTC '18
Not a fan, that wing doesn't look like it belongs there. The soft-top already loses versus the slick coupe lines, but with that wing slapped like that it just looks disjointed.
Old 05-06-2020, 07:10 AM

Received 536 Likes on 293 Posts
18 AMG GTC and 22 F150 Limited. Past owner 16 Maybach, 17 Brabus Smartcar, 06 Ford E150, and 22 G70
I would buy that car in a heartbeat. When I brought my GTC I wanted a R but they didnt offer an R in a convertible in 18 so I got the C. For me the hard top kind of makes the hood look even longer and changes the look of the car in a way I dont like as much as the convertible.

So yes I would buy an R convertible
Old 05-06-2020, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Wolfman
They weren’t. The GT models were planned in coupe and roadster form from the get go. These roadsters are also unique in that they also don’t weigh much more than the coupe and are just as rigid.
They did very little on the design however, the whole softtop mechanism and rear design of the cabin is straight from the SLS.
Incorrect: Here is a quote from Mark Fetherston back in Nov. 2014 when asked about the inception of the design: “The surfacing of the AMG GT highlights the new direction we’re taking with our coupe’s and sports cars, where we are saying the cars that have the stunning proportions don’t need as much entertainment, or as many features in the design."
It is very much possible that they put the pencil down on a roadster version right about the same time but the original design was a coupe.
Old 05-06-2020, 01:29 PM
Super Moderator

Incorrect: Here is a quote from Mark Fetherston back in Nov. 2014 when asked about the inception of the design: “The surfacing of the AMG GT highlights the new direction we’re taking with our coupe’s and sports cars, where we are saying the cars that have the stunning proportions don’t need as much entertainment, or as many features in the design."
It is very much possible that they put the pencil down on a roadster version right about the same time but the original design was a coupe.
Not sure what the sentence has to do with the roadster other than it was not mentioned. Would have to do some digging through some old German articles but here is some text from June 2013 stating that the planned roadster was likely tabled due to cost overruns...
Text is in German but can be easily translated.
Keep in mind it makes little sense to develop a platform without considering all potential model variants (base model to high-end track version, coupe and roadster). This was already done on the C197 SLS

Zwischenzeitlich wurde berichtet, dass das Projekt der Baureihe C190 vom Vorstand aufgrund zu hoher Kosten gestoppt wurde. Nun hat Mercedes-AMG quasi offizielle Erlkönigfotos gestreut. Das Fahrzeug wurde sogar von schräg oben, offenbar aus den AMG Gebäuden fotografiert. Zudem ist es ungewöhnlich, dass ein "offizielles AMG-Nummernschild" verwendet wird (LB-MA). Normal fahren die Erlkönige mit FR oder A.
Das SLC oder AMG GT wird vermutlich 2015 auf den Markt kommen. Er verfügt über eine weiterentwickelte Alu-Spaceframe Karosserie vom SLS (C197). Der Vorbau fällt jedoch etwas kürzer aus.
Angetrieben wird er von einem 4,0 Liter V8-BiTurbo der je nach Variante zwischen 480 und knapp 600 PS leisten soll. Hub und Bohrung des 4,0 Liter V8-BiTurbo sollen mit dem des M133 2,0 Liter 4-Zylinder vom A 45 AMG identisch sein.
Die Erlkönigbilder zeigen auch ein interessantes Detail: Gemäß den Fugen hätte der C190 quasi eine Fließheck-Heckklappe die direkt am Dach angeschlagen ist. Dies verbessert vermutlich die Größe und Beladbarkeit des Kofferraums.
Im Gegensatz zum SLS verzichtet der C190 auf Flügeltüren.

Der Preis soll bei rund 110.000 EUR starten. Später könnte noch eine Einstiegsversion mit dem 3,0 Liter V6-BiTurbo auf Basis des M276 DE 30 AL folgen. Ein Roadster war mal in Planung, könnte aber dem Rotstift zum Opfer gefallen sein.

Vic55 (05-06-2020)
Old 05-06-2020, 01:37 PM
Administrator

Received 796 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Not sure what the sentence has to do with the roadster other than it was not mentioned. Would have to do some digging through some old German articles but here is some text from June 2013 stating that the planned roadster was likely tabled due to cost overruns...
Keep in mind it makes little sense to develop a platform without considering all potential model variants (base model to high-end track version, coupe and roadster). This was already done on the C197 SLS

Zwischenzeitlich wurde berichtet, dass das Projekt der Baureihe C190 vom Vorstand aufgrund zu hoher Kosten gestoppt wurde. Nun hat Mercedes-AMG quasi offizielle Erlkönigfotos gestreut. Das Fahrzeug wurde sogar von schräg oben, offenbar aus den AMG Gebäuden fotografiert. Zudem ist es ungewöhnlich, dass ein "offizielles AMG-Nummernschild" verwendet wird (LB-MA). Normal fahren die Erlkönige mit FR oder A.
Das SLC oder AMG GT wird vermutlich 2015 auf den Markt kommen. Er verfügt über eine weiterentwickelte Alu-Spaceframe Karosserie vom SLS (C197). Der Vorbau fällt jedoch etwas kürzer aus.
Angetrieben wird er von einem 4,0 Liter V8-BiTurbo der je nach Variante zwischen 480 und knapp 600 PS leisten soll. Hub und Bohrung des 4,0 Liter V8-BiTurbo sollen mit dem des M133 2,0 Liter 4-Zylinder vom A 45 AMG identisch sein.
Die Erlkönigbilder zeigen auch ein interessantes Detail: Gemäß den Fugen hätte der C190 quasi eine Fließheck-Heckklappe die direkt am Dach angeschlagen ist. Dies verbessert vermutlich die Größe und Beladbarkeit des Kofferraums.

Der Preis soll bei rund 110.000 EUR starten. Später könnte noch eine Einstiegsversion mit dem 3,0 Liter V6-BiTurbo auf Basis des M276 DE 30 AL folgen. Ein Roadster war mal in Planung, könnte aber dem Rotstift zum Opfer gefallen sein.
Agree and didnt the roadsters hit Paris in 2016 which was only a year after the release of the GTS?
Old 05-06-2020, 02:10 PM

Absolutely! What I am saying is unlike the SL's that originally and inceptionaly start life as roadsters, GT's inception started as coupes.
Old 05-06-2020, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by ChargedMB
Wing looks a bit odd and kinda ruins the whole "rounded" aspect that I like. Also green doesn't suit that roadster, but maybe it would be different in person. I really like that diffuser though...

Obv we are all biased here lol, but I disagree. I usually hate convertible/roadster versions of cars, but the GT can go either way. The soft top shape doesn't lose the GT identity.

I think going roadster on the GT works well cause unlike on the SLS, you dont lose the gullwing doors + the sound you hear with the top down doesn't compare to the coupe. That last point might sound dumb, but you wont disagree if you experience it.
No biased opinion here at all. I like and appreciate both versions. All I am saying is unlike SL, the design of the GT incepted as a coupe originally with roadsters coming after. There is no way that someone with one pen in his right hand and another in his left draw both versions of the GT, a coupe and a roadster, at the same time. One must have come before the other and it is the coupe that came first.

Last edited by UCIMBZ; 05-06-2020 at 02:18 PM.
Old 05-06-2020, 02:18 PM
Super Moderator

Absolutely! What I am saying is unlike the SL's that originally and inceptionaly start life as roadsters, GT's inception started as coupes.
You can't agree and disagree at the same time

The roadster and the coupe were planned from the get-go. Wether the coupe was launched first is irrelevant. You called the ragtop an afterthought which it wasn't...
Also, the Mercedes SL was a coupe first in 1954 and then later became a roadster as well.

Last edited by Wolfman; 05-06-2020 at 02:20 PM.
Old 05-06-2020, 03:04 PM

You can't agree and disagree at the same time

The roadster and the coupe were planned from the get-go. Wether the coupe was launched first is irrelevant. You called the ragtop an afterthought which it wasn't...
Also, the Mercedes SL was a coupe first in 1954 and then later became a roadster as well.
In that case originally everything designed as roadster.
Old 05-06-2020, 04:08 PM
Super Moderator

In that case originally everything designed as roadster.
All seems to boil down to semantics here
Obviously the coupe was launched first, but all models GT models were on the drawing table when designing the platform. Luckily, the AMG GT53 never happened even though it was also on the list in 2013...
Old 05-07-2020, 05:48 AM

The earliest design sketches of the GT. As noted the car was designed originally as a coupe. This doesn't mean the idea to have a roadster made was not entertained right or about at the beginning but when designed originally it was designed as a coupe so the roadster version and all other models with the aero appendages were in fact afterthoughts.
Old 05-07-2020, 09:39 AM
Super Moderator

The earliest design sketches of the GT. As noted the car was designed originally as a coupe. This doesn't mean the idea to have a roadster made was not entertained right or about at the beginning but when designed originally it was designed as a coupe so the roadster version and all other models with the aero appendages were in fact afterthoughts.
Amazing what you read out an an image but unfortunately this isn't the case unless of course this is a new way of developing cars.
The AMG GT model is the successor of the SLS which was manufactured until 2014 in three versions, including the roadster. This simply carried over to the C190 platform. When a new platform is developed, model variants are a key part of the platform design to consider structural strength, rigidity and weight amongst other things. Not sure what is so difficult about this.

Aero appendages as you call them would simply be evolutionary development, just like they happened for the PRO...
Old 05-07-2020, 09:46 AM

Amazing what you read out an an image but unfortunately this isn't the case unless of course this is a new way of developing cars.
The AMG GT model is the successor of the SLS which was manufactured until 2014 in three versions, including the roadster. This simply carried over to the C190 platform. When a new platform is developed, model variants are a key part of the platform design to consider structural strength, rigidity and weight amongst other things. Not sure what is so difficult about this.

Aero appendages as you call them would simply be evolutionary development, just like they happened for the PRO...
It's not new. An original concept is sketched and based on that other variants are developed. In this case it was the coupe. Not difficult at all.
Old 05-07-2020, 11:51 AM
Super Moderator

It's not new. An original concept is sketched and based on that other variants are developed. In this case it was the coupe. Not difficult at all.
No need going back and forth anymore as you seem to miss the point of the conversation.

The roadster was part of the C190 platform development from the get-go, not an afterthought. No wishful thinking changes that. These things are decided by the board long before designers are starting to grab their pencils...
Skilly (05-08-2020)
Old 05-07-2020, 12:13 PM
Administrator

Received 796 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
No need going back and forth anymore as you seem to miss the point of the conversation.

The roadster was part of the C190 platform development from the get-go, not an afterthought. No wishful thinking changes that. These things are decided by the board long before designers are starting to grab their pencils...
I remember when the car(s) was announced that both the C190 and R190 were introduced. If chassis releases dont matter then I dont know what does.

I tried to text the fly on the wall when this car was just an idea but he didnt reply back!!! Ive been ghosted.
Old 05-07-2020, 04:29 PM

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
300sl roadster
new GTRA arrival

Been waiting for numerous months.. Had a GTC and wanted the R level HP and other bits... Ride is very similar in comfort and Sport.. Sport+ things tighten up as expected.. I like the look with the rear wing.. looks more balanced to me than the C.. I must prefer the overall look of the design compared to the Porsche cabs or even the 488 Ferrari.. As for all the discussion, I doubt there has been very few manufactures who penned a cabriolet before the coupe... either way is fine with me.. reminds me of the Abbott/Costello routine of "Who's on first" ?
The following 2 users liked this post by SLcruzen:
ChargedMB (05-08-2020), NewportSLS (05-07-2020)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Some pic of the AMG GTR roadster