Sponsored by:

Weistech VS Renntech in 2020

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-23-2020, 04:23 PM

Received 132 Likes on 80 Posts
2020 AMG GTC
Originally Posted by DriveAMG
GTC and GTR share the same engine with different turbos and similar final drive ratios. The GTR has more boost
DriveAMG, You are right about the turbos and boost, GT/GTS has a different turbo size then the GTC/GTR. However, as I have stated "the engines are the same" (M178).
These OBD-II HHT tunes are effecting mainly ignition timing and A/F mix. They do not change turbo boosts directly or any other mechanical part of the car (trans, suspensions, etc).
The amount of boost for GT/GTS will be different then GTC/GTR, but there is a boost and therefore consideration of the mechanical stress and safety need to be consider when dealing with the GT/GTS
Old 05-23-2020, 04:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 623 Likes on 369 Posts
2020 McLaren 720s Spider
Originally Posted by G. P
DriveAMG, You are right about the turbos and boost, GT/GTS has a different turbo size then the GTC/GTR. However, as I have stated "the engines are the same" (M178).
These OBD-II HHT tunes are effecting mainly ignition timing and A/F mix. They do not change turbo boosts directly or any other mechanical part of the car (trans, suspensions, etc).
The amount of boost for GT/GTS will be different then GTC/GTR, but there is a boost and therefore consideration of the mechanical stress and safety need to be consider when dealing with the GT/GTS
So given they are different, are we talking about better tolerance for boost pressures and overall the GTC/GTR could withstand a different tuning map? Boost is controlled by electronics and that is factored into these tunes as far I understand. I don't believe that what you are saying about boost mapping is accurate.

Last edited by Skilly; 05-23-2020 at 04:41 PM.
Old 05-23-2020, 04:39 PM

2020 AMG GTC
Skilly, I didn't claim that there is no advantage to the GTC/GTR. Of course there is. Relatively to their turbos, down pipes etc, the gain from OBD-II tune will be there, maybe in a different ratio then for GT/GTS. The only way to prove this is to do a dyno test, establishing a baseline with standard tune (factory) and then add the OBD-II tune, and see.
Renntech provided the dyno results I have posted earlier, for the GTC. They also have one for the GT, GTS and GTR on their website. Ill try to find it and share
Old 05-23-2020, 04:44 PM

2020 AMG GTC
There is no issue with the ability of the M178 or the drivetrain of the car to handle more power. My comment was regarding the GT/GTS, NOT GTC or GTR. GT and GTS are built a bit different and are not geared for a race track and therefore adding significant power to it may be stability and safety issue. That is all.
Old 05-23-2020, 04:55 PM

2020 AMG GTC
Here the Renntech own Dyno test:

You can see that the GT and GTS has similar tune results, different then the GTC and GTR

The following 2 users liked this post by G. P:
ChungDTX (03-17-2022), Skilly (05-23-2020)
Old 05-23-2020, 05:02 PM

2020 AMG GTC
gshoe777, I will be great if you can share the Dyno results between the base GTC and the RennTech HHT tune, to see if Renntech gain claim is within that range..

Looking forward to hear from you

The following users liked this post:
gshoe777 (05-23-2020)
Old 05-23-2020, 06:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 McLaren 720s Spider
gshoe777, I will be great if you can share the Dyno results between the base GTC and the RennTech HHT tune, to see if Renntech gain claim is within that range..

Looking forward to hear from you
This is really helpful - thank you.

Its interesting to see that its likely they are tuning to GT/GTS and GTC/GTR differently. When I was lurking around their website and linking into the tune specs nothing was surfacing - their links were bringing up a dead page. That said, since the M178 is the platform it would suggest that they are playing with the boost levels in the different turbo config for the GTC/GTR. That gets interesting for GTC/GTR owners and would at least on the surface to be different from DME or Weistec or the dyno results from the OE maps shown earlier in the thread.

Really looking forward to seeing results so I can vote with my dollars!
Old 05-23-2020, 07:03 PM

2020 AMG GTC
Originally Posted by Skilly
This is really helpful - thank you.

Its interesting to see that its likely they are tuning to GT/GTS and GTC/GTR differently. When I was lurking around their website and linking into the tune specs nothing was surfacing - their links were bringing up a dead page. That said, since the M178 is the platform it would suggest that they are playing with the boost levels in the different turbo config for the GTC/GTR. That gets interesting for GTC/GTR owners and would at least on the surface to be different from DME or Weistec or the dyno results from the OE maps shown earlier in the thread.

Really looking forward to seeing results so I can vote with my dollars!

BTW, if you link to renntechmercedes.com you will find all the useful info. The renntech-store.com is their shopping site and missing a lot of info.
The following 2 users liked this post by G. P:
gshoe777 (05-23-2020), Hetzle (05-26-2020)
Old 05-25-2020, 08:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 378 Likes on 244 Posts
'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)
Originally Posted by gshoe777
I've read through the old threads debating whether Weistech or Renntech is better for a tune. All I can find are older threads talking about either brand for tuning Benz models other than my own. 2019 GTC 1,400 miles. 93 Octane fuel.
From what I've read, both brands have had their ups and downs over the years concerning price, warranty, and power but Renntech's customer service hasn't ever been questioned yet (to my knowledge) (I also looked at EuroCharged, but no info on their site about a GTC tune)

The old threads say that in general, Weistech offers a more powerful tune but can have spotty customer service and potentially warranty issues compared to Renntech.
In communication with both brands via email their current prices are nearly identical.
But their advertised gains are not. Weistech's advertised gains are currently explained in a more straightforward way to understand because they are just giving you the projected gains without any discussion of factory recorded base numbers vs internally recorded base numbers. Renntech's advertised projected gains are harder to understand and supposedly based on starting figures higher than the factory. Renntech's current calculation is convoluted and not straight forward in my opinion.

Renntech is advertising total gains of +84HP/93TQ with no catless downpipes but their marketing materials make it harder to decipher what the true projected gains will be. The factory stock numbers are -25HP/19TQ less than what they have claimed to record as their stock baseline. I could easily believe that.

Weistech is advertising +60HP/122TQ with no catless downpipes.

If you add Renntech's projected gains or projected gains (less the difference from the factory numbers) you end up with a range for projected HP gains of 609HP-659HP, but Weistech still is the highest for TQ in any calculation.

I haven't been able to find any current threads with up to date info on which of these tuners will be best for me. Or any threads to sort out the Renntech calculation issue.

Has anyone had an experience recently with either brand for a GTC tune? If so, I'd love to hear your thoughts.
I had probably a dozen cars with Renntech mods, only 4 with Weistec (2011 S63 vs 2012 good comparo on the same model).
To be honest, there is only so much they can do (safely) with these engines, the gains are quite similar in the end.
By the seat of the pants, you just can't tell which is performing better, you can't lose going with either.
kumizi (05-26-2020)
Old 05-25-2020, 09:57 PM

Received 245 Likes on 152 Posts
Designo White AMG GTS
There is no issue with the ability of the M178 or the drivetrain of the car to handle more power. My comment was regarding the GT/GTS, NOT GTC or GTR. GT and GTS are built a bit different and are not geared for a race track and therefore adding significant power to it may be stability and safety issue. That is all.
More aggressive gearing helps you accelerate faster. More hp helps you accelerate faster. So if anything, adding more hp to the already more aggressively geared car is more likely to be "unsafe" because you're magnifying the effects of the added power.

It doesn't really matter either way. On the street, a 20% gain in hp isn't going to cause any safety issues. You'll just feel a little more OOOMPH when you punch it at 50mph. That's what 90% of people do with their cars.

These tunes and mods produce more heat and that's a definite factor for people that track their cars. If I was a track junky, I probably wouldn't tune my car or monitor all the temps very closely. That's why there has been years of debate between those who tune and those who dont.

Non tuner: "do you think your tuner knows more than the dozens of engineers that work at AMG?"

tuner: "relax dude. this is just for a 50-100 punch. the car isnt going to fall apart. AMG engineers have to worry about repeated abuse in extreme conditions."

Last edited by kumizi; 05-25-2020 at 10:30 PM.
Old 05-25-2020, 10:05 PM

Designo White AMG GTS
Clearly you are the guy that has to be right...and yes, it would appear we are.

here is a summary of what I said - the tune isn't as much benefit for a GTC and I'm not sure on paying full price for the tune which markets itself on base model specs that the GTC isnt
you appeared to say - there is benefit with both cars because there is a nice boost in both cases, the base model being higher benefactor but sizable gains for both.

Since both things can be true, yes, Id say that's called talking past each other. If I am correct in what you are trying to say, I FULLY understand what you are throwing down. What we wrapping around the axle on is the value - I can appreciate that you see lots of benefit for your bucks. Im sitting with a GTC wondering if I want to do this tune first or spend on something else - and the literature simply isn't clear on the gains; especially with the specs still showing some degree of debate.
"You could debate the safety spec but focusing on the M178 only, if it is correct, the tunes are hardly worth it for a GTC or GTR. Getting 20HP gains for $3,000 is a waste-o-money. There has to be more to the story for GTR and GTC owners. And, if there isnt, that might explain why its never spec'd out separately."

Last edited by kumizi; 05-25-2020 at 10:20 PM.
Old 05-25-2020, 10:17 PM

Designo White AMG GTS
The GT and GTS run 10.5:1 compression ratio.

The GTC and GTR run 9.5:1 compression ratio and bigger turbos. Because of the lower compression ratio, you can run more boost on these cars on pump gas.

Old 05-25-2020, 10:31 PM

2020 AMG GTC
Originally Posted by absent
I had probably a dozen cars with Renntech mods, only 4 with Weistec (2011 S63 vs 2012 good comparo on the same model).
To be honest, there is only so much they can do (safely) with these engines, the gains are quite similar in the end.
By the seat of the pants, you just can't tell which is performing better, you can't lose going with either.
Absent, you are right about that they both provide similar results and price, however, here are some facts to consider:

Weistec Cons:
With Weistec, you have to remove your ECU unit and send it to Weistec, have them do the ECU changes, ship the ECU back to you and install the ECU back in your car. Now, what happen if you want to take the car to service? how to you put it back to Stock?. Well, you have to do the whole process again. (similarly, if you are in a state that require emission inspection). We have to remember that these tune are not street legal in most states. The alternative, of course is to buy a second Bosch ECU for Weistec to do the tune on that secondary unit and you keep your original ECU for your dealer visits/emission inspection.

Weistec Pros:
When you reverse from tune to stock, there is no record in the ECU that the car was in Tune mode. Permanent ECU change are better for cars that are exclusively used on race tracks.

RennTech Cons:
Moving from stock to tune is a traceable record in the ECU log. This is an issue only if you have a warranty claim relating to the Engine, or drivetrain and AMG will be looking at the ECU to see what could have cause it. A remote probability...

RennTech Pros:
With RennTech, you plug a small device to the OBD-II port under the drive's foot well, flick a switch to tune, and within 2 min your car is tuned and ready. To reverse, you plug the same device back in, flick the switch to Stock mode and the car will be in stock mode within 2 min. No need to remove an ECU unit from the engine compartment, shipping back and fort to Weistec, etc.

My 2 Cents..
Old 05-25-2020, 10:33 PM

Designo White AMG GTS
^

For most modern cars, it takes a few years for tuning companies to crack the ECU so you can tune the car using a handheld tuner and the OBD2 port. So for the first 2-4 years of existence, you have to mail your ECU to the tuner. Right now, I'm pretty sure they're all capable of tuning a GT(x) using the OBD2 port and a handheld.

Renntech focuses on Mercedes sales and is obviously much better at hiring someone to update their website with the latest information. Smart business. They can sell the same product for double the price as everyone else because people dont know better. Look at the EVM thread.

Companies like Weistec have moved on to tuning Lambos and McLarens and often dont bother to update detailed info on their websites for the sparse number of AMG customers they might get.

Last edited by kumizi; 05-25-2020 at 10:43 PM.
Old 05-25-2020, 10:48 PM

Designo White AMG GTS
The engines are not the same across all the models.

And I'm pretty sure 95%+ of tunes do increase the boost.

I dont own a GTC/GTR so I can't say with 100% certainty. I know I run more boost than stock on my GTS, my Alfa, Porsch, Audi, and every other turbo car I've tuned.

2020 AMG GTC
These are correct facts, but is that related to any of the above posts?
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 McLaren 720s Spider
Absent, you are right about that they both provide similar results and price, however, here are some facts to consider:

Weistec Cons:
With Weistec, you have to remove your ECU unit and send it to Weistec, have them do the ECU changes, ship the ECU back to you and install the ECU back in your car. Now, what happen if you want to take the car to service? how to you put it back to Stock?. Well, you have to do the whole process again. (similarly, if you are in a state that require emission inspection). We have to remember that these tune are not street legal in most states. The alternative, of course is to buy a second Bosch ECU for Weistec to do the tune on that secondary unit and you keep your original ECU for your dealer visits/emission inspection.

My 2 Cents..
Doesn't Weistec offer a handheld option that allows you to switch between stock and upgrade? I had thought that was a recent new feature....$400 bucks on top of the tune (they call it "the Cypher" - looks like you can store multiple tunes in it.

Do you happen to know why the Renntech tune is recorded but the Weistec option isnt?

Anybody suffer from a warranty claim issue (like a major component rear end or trans) that was denied because of a tune?
Old 05-25-2020, 10:50 PM

Designo White AMG GTS
These are correct facts, but is that related to any of the above posts?
Yes. Everything you've posted in this thread has been wrong

The difference is not that Renntech can do it with a handheld tuner and others require sending the ECU out.

The engines among the 4 models isn't the same.

The tunes dont leave the boost at stock levels and just increase the timing.
Old 05-25-2020, 10:56 PM

Designo White AMG GTS
Doesn't Weistec offer a handheld option that allows you to switch between stock and upgrade?
Yes, all the major tuners have that option now.

None of them did until about two years ago.
Hetzle (05-26-2020)
Old 05-25-2020, 11:00 PM

2020 AMG GTC
Skilly, I heard from Weistec about the Cypher, but the comment was that it does not support the AMG GTx. That was about a month ago, maybe things change. Or maybe our Guru Expert on this blog knows the answer.. probably it fits only Lambos...

The recording is done in the ECU, so if you replace the ECU , the original ECU doesn't know about it. But in any case, it is usually not an issue.
As for claims, I was made aware about the issue by couple of people in Germany working for AMG. These are rare cases, which is also very difficult to prove.
Old 05-25-2020, 11:03 PM

Designo White AMG GTS
ugh nevermind

Last edited by kumizi; 05-25-2020 at 11:45 PM.
x96535 (05-26-2020)
Old 05-25-2020, 11:10 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
2019 GTC, 2017 Ram 3500 Deleted

Weistec Cons:

Weistec Pros:
When you reverse from tune to stock, there is no record in the ECU that the car was in Tune mode. Permanent ECU change are better for cars that are exclusively used on race tracks.

RennTech Cons:
Moving from stock to tune is a traceable record in the ECU log. This is an issue only if you have a warranty claim relating to the Engine, or drivetrain and AMG will be looking at the ECU to see what could have cause it. A remote probability...

RennTech Pros:
With RennTech, you plug a small device to the OBD-II port under the drive's foot well, flick a switch to tune, and within 2 min your car is tuned and ready. To reverse, you plug the same device back in, flick the switch to Stock mode and the car will be in stock mode within 2 min. No need to remove an ECU unit from the engine compartment, shipping back and fort to Weistec, etc.

My 2 Cents..
OP Again.

Weistech does offer the handheld model now. The Cypher.

I saw a thread about an ECU reset done with the gas pedal. Would this erase the record of a tune? Or is having a secondary ECU the best bet in a warranty situation?

Not super concerned either way. The warranty thing just kinda comes with the territory. I deleted a new truck with less than 100 miles on it. I guess I'm prepared for the risk.
kumizi (05-25-2020)
Old 05-25-2020, 11:15 PM

2020 AMG GTC
Kumizi, So if your GTS's normal boost is 10.5:1, what do you think your boot is after a tune?
Old 05-25-2020, 11:17 PM

Received 57 Likes on 35 Posts
MY19AMG GT-C; MY14C63-507 - former Audi B6 S4
Originally Posted by gshoe777
OP Again.

Weistech does offer the handheld model now. The Cypher.

I saw a thread about an ECU reset done with the gas pedal. Would this erase the record of a tune? Or is having a secondary ECU the best bet in a warranty situation?

Not super concerned either way. The warranty thing just kinda comes with the territory. I deleted a new truck with less than 100 miles on it. I guess I'm prepared for the risk.
Hello gshoe777,

Were you able to get the dyno completed with the Stock GTC and then the Stage 1 implementation?
Old 05-25-2020, 11:18 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
2019 GTC, 2017 Ram 3500 Deleted
Originally Posted by chris135b
Hello gshoe777,

Were you able to get the dyno completed with the Stock GTC and then the Stage 1 implementation?
Going Thursday!
*for the stock dyno.

After the parts arrive I'll do the subsequent dynos for each series.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Weistech VS Renntech in 2020