Pre Purchase Inspection on 2016 GT S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-23-2020, 01:06 AM

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts
2016 Mercedes AMG GT S
Pre Purchase Inspection on 2016 GT S

Hi all,

I purchased a 59k mile GT S from an internet dealer, and now I've got 7 days to find all the flaws and decide if she's a keeper or a dud! If she's the latter, I can still return her! The car is out of factory warranty, so any known cosmetic issues would NOT be fixable through Mercedes, but could be negotiated with the seller. The car does have a Platinum third-party extended warranty for mechanical and electric stuff, so I am less worried about that!

What should I make sure I have checked in my pre purchase inspection? The current list is:
* Paint depth measurements, plus looking for shoddy body work.
* Look for wear items needing replacement: brakes, tires, suspension and bushings, belts, battery, etc.
* Drive test to make sure it runs smoothly.
* Check computer for codes.

Thanks!

So far, I've already determined:
* The dash leather has shrunk and unglued.
* The rear tires need replacing soon.
* The power steering squeals loudly when turned fully left or right.
Old 09-24-2020, 09:44 PM

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts
AMG GT S
Originally Posted by 503hp
Hi all,

I purchased a 59k mile GT S from an internet dealer, and now I've got 7 days to find all the flaws and decide if she's a keeper or a dud! If she's the latter, I can still return her! The car is out of factory warranty, so any known cosmetic issues would NOT be fixable through Mercedes, but could be negotiated with the seller. The car does have a Platinum third-party extended warranty for mechanical and electric stuff, so I am less worried about that!

What should I make sure I have checked in my pre purchase inspection? The current list is:
* Look for wear items needing replacement: brakes, tires, suspension and bushings, belts, battery, etc.

Thanks!

Would you mind posting pictures of the dash shrinkage if you have a chance.

I guess you would want to check the VIN and make sure all recalls are up to date.

Good luck with your purchase
Old 09-25-2020, 09:46 AM

2016 Mercedes AMG GT S
Originally Posted by Gordon9898
Would you mind posting pictures of the dash shrinkage if you have a chance.

I guess you would want to check the VIN and make sure all recalls are up to date.

Good luck with your purchase
There's a video of the dash here: https://mbworld.org/forums/coupe-roa...ml#post8163167
Old 09-25-2020, 10:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 538 Likes on 337 Posts
2024 AMG G63
Originally Posted by 503hp
Hi all,

Thanks!

Get the dealer to give you a CARFAX report for the car.

See when the last service was done and where.

Check for rim scuffs and scrapes.

You should need both lithium batteries replaced soon - $$$
Get a copy of the inspection report they did. In most cases marginal tires and brakes make it through which translate to big $$$. Figure $2k for tires and and about the same for brakes. Rotors only last through 1 turn so they may need replacement with new fluid. Always get a high speed wheel and tire balance and full alignment to factory specs at the dealer.

A transmission service should be due shortly as will new belts, filters and wiper blades .

The filters include the lower intake filters at the front of the car.
This is a BIG Deal since the filters need to be removed after the front bumper is removed. If you do this, be sure to order in the protective screens that now come in sections to make an easier install.

Good luck.

Jerry

Last edited by JSwan724; 09-25-2020 at 10:15 AM.
The following users liked this post:
NewportSLS (09-25-2020)
Old 09-25-2020, 10:30 AM

2016 Mercedes AMG GT S
Originally Posted by JSwan724
Get the dealer to give you a CARFAX report for the car.

See when the last service was done and where.

Check for rim scuffs and scrapes.

You should need both lithium batteries replaced soon - $$$
Get a copy of the inspection report they did. In most cases marginal tires and brakes make it through which translate to big $$$. Figure $2k for tires and and about the same for brakes. Rotors only last through 1 turn so they may need replacement with new fluid. Always get a high speed wheel and tire balance and full alignment to factory specs at the dealer.

A transmission service should be due shortly as will new belts, filters and wiper blades.

The filters include the lower intake filters at the front of the car.
This is a BIG Deal since the filters need to be removed after the front bumper is removed. If you do this, be sure to order in the protective screens that now come in sections to make an easier install.

Jerry
Hi Jerry,

Thanks for the thoughtful reply! The dealership has told me that at 60k a "Service B" is done, which includes oil change, brake fluid, cabin filter, general checks and inspection.

When -- a
t what mileage or years -- is the transmission service (plus belts, filters and wiper blades) due?

I uploaded the CarFax report. Sadly, some of the recent dealership services are don't specify _what_ was done. However, I'm hoping the service advisor will have details from the MB computer records.

For the LI batteries, are they replaced based on battery health and natural degradation rather than on mileage?

Are the "protective screens" different from the chicken-wire that is already over the grill openings now?

Thanks!

Are the protective screens already installed?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
CarFax.pdf (2.40 MB, 72 views)