Coupe/Roadster
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Warranty replacing Carbon Fiber Roof

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-23-2021, 02:27 PM

Received 676 Likes on 358 Posts
2020 GTA; 2022 Audi e-tron GT, 2022 Ford F-150; 1926 Rolls-Royce Springfield 40/50 Playboy roadster
This is such an unfortunate story. And it doesn't look like Mercedes can make it right.

In California you'd probably get your money back or a new car. I realize you like what you've got -- except for the roof -- but it's never going to be made right. It sounds like Mercedes wants you to tell the company what you want to make it right. And that leads me to a story that ironically includes a top (roof).

In 1999 I bought a new SL500. It was the third I had purchased, all of the same model, but this one was a smoke silver in color rather than the reds of the previous two. (Back then I put a hell of a lot of mileage on my cars as I drove to courthouses all throughout Southern California.) Almost immediately after I got the car there was a problem with some float-sensor or device in the gas tank that kept malfunctioning, making it unreliable in determining whether the tank was full or not. (Of course the odometer could help, too, but having a functioning fuel gauge is still required.) Three times Mercedes fixed the damn thing and three more times it malfunctioned. I very much enjoyed the car and didn't want to turn it in under California's Lemon Law. And at about the same time I read that the problem had been determined and solved. There was an additive in Chevron branded gasoline which was causing the problem. All I had to do was get the sensor replaced (for the fourth time), switch to another brand of gasoline, and problem solved. But I did want some compensation for my inconvenience. (And the ignominy of driving something other than an SL500 for the previous several months whenever the car was in the shop.)

So I told Mercedes-Benz what I wanted. I had seen another smoke silver SL with a tan colored convertible top. It looked amazing. My ragtop was black; nothing to write home about. I said I'd keep the car in exchange for a new ragtop, tan in color. Mercedes agreed. The switch was done and I was happy. And so was Mercedes-Benz. (However, the new top was poorly installed, so MBUSA had to install a second one.)

I'm not sure what you can do to make it right. At this point I think you should just get a new car.

https://cdn.dealeraccelerate.com/can...es-sl500-sport

Last edited by MalibuScott; 01-23-2021 at 02:30 PM.
Old 01-23-2021, 07:47 PM

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts
'08 CL63
The pictures are helpful. While I suspect that at arms length distance they aren't very noticeable, they will likely get worse.

They know it's a warranty issue, ordered and received a replacement roof and just can't get it installed? As others have noted, it's ridiculous; I'd post this on the AMG Private Lounge and you may get some traction with MB/AMG there.
Old 01-24-2021, 12:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 159 Likes on 128 Posts
NB8 PARACHUTE
`

It will only get worse - trust me -

I would go for the new car -

I agree with Skilly that MB is way off base

regarding the hours needed to do the job right -

Way off base -

As thebishman posted earlier you may need to get a lawyer -

Thank-You
D.B.

Last edited by COOPERDB; 01-24-2021 at 12:41 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Skilly (01-24-2021)
Old 01-24-2021, 12:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 959 Likes on 576 Posts
‘24 BMW iX M60
Btw: when you do get the roof replaced; (hopefully soon), get the roof protected with either Suntek or Xpel Ultimate PPF. I had it installed on my GTR when new and the roof, along with the rest of the car was pristine when I sold it.
Surge (04-12-2022)
Old 02-13-2021, 10:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

NB8 PARACHUTE
`

Latest updates???

Thank-You
D.B.

Old 02-14-2021, 01:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 220 Likes on 174 Posts
2012 Volt - 2005 E55 - 2011 G55 - 2013 GL63
Tossing this solution for a shop that is Benz certified and might be willing to take it on

Try Classic Car Motoring www.classiccarmotoring.com

They are in Alabama and do direct work for the factory here at times. Ask for Chris and tell him H told you about them.
Old 02-15-2021, 11:12 AM

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post
AMG GTR
Originally Posted by COOPERDB
`

Latest updates???

Thank-You
D.B.

UPDATE:

So after not receiving my usual Friday at 5:00 PM call from the "executive referral manager" in hopes that I don't answer, I called her back and for the 100th time in a row she didn't answer (No idea why they have phones that take incoming calls because in 3 months she's never answered once). She called me back 3 days later letting me know she still doesn't have an update and the field team is still looking into it. She wouldn't tell me what exactly they are looking into or why it takes more than an hour, day, week, month to "look into it". So I told her that I had just had enough, understanding it's probably not this persons fault that I'm talking to but after denying my request to speak with anyone else who might have a little more say in the matter 3 or 4 times I have to assume she's a roadblock. I let her know that this is a breach of the warranty and they need to come to the table with something better than sorry, we don't have an update at this time. It's been two weeks now since I went that route and have got nothing back except she'll be going on vacation for a few days so she won't be able to follow up with me for a few days... Even though she doesn't follow up with me every few days... The service is so comically bad that I am at a loss...
Old 02-15-2021, 11:14 AM

AMG GTR
Originally Posted by black06c230
Tossing this solution for a shop that is Benz certified and might be willing to take it on

Try Classic Car Motoring www.classiccarmotoring.com

They are in Alabama and do direct work for the factory here at times. Ask for Chris and tell him H told you about them.
Thank you for the tip! I know of a few really good shops that work on cars made completely of carbon fiber that are within driving distance to me but Mercedes is not interested in taking my suggestions for body shops.
Old 02-27-2021, 10:26 AM

AMG GTR
HOPEFULLY FINAL UPDATE:
So my "executive referral manager" called me last week and said now they can fix the car by replacing the roof after all... This was my first communication with her after I told her to look into this being a breach of my warranty and I want them to find a replacement vehicle if they are unable to fix the car... The dealer contacted me, came and picked up the car on Wednesday and finished the job the very next day, I picked up the car yesterday which was Friday and it's all set.... I am so thankful that the car came out great but at the same time it's like, really?? 4 months to do a job that took one day... And I had to get treated like an a** hole by Mercedes Customer Care throughout the whole ordeal... If I didn't absolutely love this car so much I'd be ready to dump it for a 911. Glad they were able to fix it and it's ready for spring summer! PPF going on the car hopefully next week.
The following 10 users liked this post by antisocialGTR:
AMG 17GT (02-27-2021), Andy0331 (03-03-2021), California John (02-27-2021), daybx (02-28-2021), Druclk500 (04-16-2022), garymac (02-27-2021), MalibuScott (02-27-2021), Orcbolg (02-27-2021), Rocketman84 (02-27-2021), thebishman (02-27-2021) and 5 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-27-2021, 01:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

NB8 PARACHUTE
`

Everyone knows who the real "A** HOLE" was in this debacle -

I would highly recommend XPEL ppf -

Then enjoy -

Thank-You
D.B.

Old 02-28-2021, 03:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 411 Likes on 287 Posts
W463 G550 / C190 GTC //prev: W204 C63 507 / R170
I had what can best be described as a factory tint defect in my GTC glass roof. Car was brand new with 130 miles when I got it, and the flaw in the tint was there. It was only noticeable at certain angles and if the outside light was not too bright - most people probably would never have noticed it.
Mercedes offered to replace the roof under warranty right away; but my MB dealer’s body shop wouldn’t touch it. They were going to send it to the company they outsource windshield work to — and I was having none of that. The roofs on the GTs are bonded as well as screwed in. It’s a MAJOR job, and I didn’t want Apple Auto Glass f’ing around with my GT.

In the end, my PPF detailer found a solution - he applied a nearly clear film on the roof and the flaw is no longer noticeable. He didn’t tell me what he used, but I don’t think it’s PPF, it’s a clear or very lightly smoked vinyl.
Old 03-03-2021, 02:40 AM

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts
'08 CL63
Originally Posted by antisocialGTR
HOPEFULLY FINAL UPDATE:
So my "executive referral manager" called me last week and said now they can fix the car by replacing the roof after all... This was my first communication with her after I told her to look into this being a breach of my warranty and I want them to find a replacement vehicle if they are unable to fix the car... The dealer contacted me, came and picked up the car on Wednesday and finished the job the very next day, I picked up the car yesterday which was Friday and it's all set.... I am so thankful that the car came out great but at the same time it's like, really?? 4 months to do a job that took one day... And I had to get treated like an a** hole by Mercedes Customer Care throughout the whole ordeal... If I didn't absolutely love this car so much I'd be ready to dump it for a 911. Glad they were able to fix it and it's ready for spring summer! PPF going on the car hopefully next week.
Great news, unfortunate that it took so long, especially since it was a 1 day job. Enjoy it in good health!
Old 04-12-2022, 05:16 PM

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
E63, G63, AMG GTR
So the entire forum knows, my car has this same issue. Mercedes Corporate has refused to cover it. The dealership here, Mercedes Fremont - Fletcher Jones, has done this same job 3 times and agrees it should be covered. They were shocked to find out that Mercedes corporate is now not covering these because there is clearly a defective part from the manufacturer. Terrible outcome, very disappointing for the brand.
Old 04-12-2022, 05:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 411 Likes on 287 Posts
W463 G550 / C190 GTC //prev: W204 C63 507 / R170
Originally Posted by mpower3330
So the entire forum knows, my car has this same issue. Mercedes Corporate has refused to cover it. The dealership here, Mercedes Fremont - Fletcher Jones, has done this same job 3 times and agrees it should be covered. They were shocked to find out that Mercedes corporate is now not covering these because there is clearly a defective part from the manufacturer. Terrible outcome, very disappointing for the brand.
So you've had your GT's roof replaced 3 times? I think you mean the dealership has replaced the roof 3 times on other GTs... Got it.

My GTC had an issue with the glass roof. Mercedes Canada offered to replace it under warranty, no questions asked. But I didn't do it. It's a MAJOR job, and it's typically not done by the dealership, but by the 3rd party that replaces windshields. Maybe your dealership is different, but in my case it would have gone to Apple Auto Glass. No. Thanks. Keep in mind the roof is bonded to the chassis. This is not a matter of simply unbolting the old and dropping in the new... Also the car is not easy to work on, so think about the interior condition when you have a bunch of yahoos ripping your roof off...

Slightly tinted PPF/vinyl fixed it - or at least made it unnoticeable.

I suggest PPF for yours, that will hide the marks on the edges.
Old 04-12-2022, 05:45 PM

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
E63, G63, AMG GTR
Mine is a GTR with the carbon fiber roof. And the dealer has replaced the carbon fiber roof for 3 other GTRs over the past 2 years. Dealer thought it would definitely be replaced until Mercedes denied it. Not a good outcome for a $200k car. I also own another $400k in Mercedes. Rethinking it.

Separate note, I think your understanding of how tedious the job is might be different. Look at the above situation, where the owner received the vehicle within 2 business days.The full carbon fiber roof being replaced.

Last edited by mpower3330; 04-12-2022 at 06:09 PM.
Druclk500 (04-16-2022)
Old 04-14-2022, 11:43 AM

Received 435 Likes on 301 Posts
2020 GLC300 -2013 Sl550 - 1997 SL600
Hard to tell exactly from those pics,
but that almost looks like someone rubbed thru the clear. (corner pic).
bad detail job/manufacturing process (possibly even from factory) in some of these cases?

Last edited by crconsulting; 04-14-2022 at 11:54 AM.