Transmission in M mode upshifts without input?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-21-2021, 02:53 PM

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts
2016 AMG GT-S
Transmission in M mode upshifts without input?

Hey everyone,

I am experiencing a weird issue where, when using my Individual mode - M transmission mode and engine in Race, the car will intermittently (1/50?) shift up 2 gears after I click the upshift paddle once. At first I thought I was going crazy... like "did I just hold the paddle too long?" So I tested and tested and now I've experienced it from 2-3 and 4-5, always under mild throttle. Not seeing any codes and the car otherwise drives fine.

Has anyone else experienced this? I did a search and didn't find anything.

Thanks

Last edited by Hetzle; 02-22-2021 at 12:45 PM.
Old 02-21-2021, 05:13 PM

Received 81 Likes on 40 Posts
AMG GT C
In race mode the transmission is sort of Manual/Automatic. That yours is shifting 2 gears after using the paddle doesn't sound right, but automatic shifting does happen in race mode even if Manual is selected. If you want ONLY manual shifting you have to use Sport or Comfort in Manual mode.

I think.

Old 02-21-2021, 06:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,989 Likes on 2,660 Posts
2019 C63CS
Most likely a worn out shift paddle switch, so it bounces and gives duplicate shift commands. It's not all that uncommon.
The following users liked this post:
Hetzle (02-22-2021)
Old 02-22-2021, 07:42 AM

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
GTS
I have the same issue and was thinking it was switch bounce too. Does anyone have the replacement part number for the switches?

foo
The following users liked this post:
Hetzle (02-22-2021)
Old 02-22-2021, 01:35 PM

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts
2016 AMG GT-S
Originally Posted by Saudio
In race mode the transmission is sort of Manual/Automatic. That yours is shifting 2 gears after using the paddle doesn't sound right, but automatic shifting does happen in race mode even if Manual is selected. If you want ONLY manual shifting you have to use Sport or Comfort in Manual mode.

I think.
So the car is in Individual mode, which I have configured to be Engine in Race, Transmission in Manual, Suspension in Comfort. With the Transmission in Manual, it normally doesn't upshift on its own and will even hit the rev limiter.

Originally Posted by superswiss
Most likely a worn out shift paddle switch, so it bounces and gives duplicate shift commands. It's not all that uncommon.
Ahhh thank you!!

Originally Posted by foooo
I have the same issue and was thinking it was switch bounce too. Does anyone have the replacement part number for the switches?

foo
^This. If anyone has the part number please let us know. I'm also going to ask my mechanic for it.