AMG GTS trickle charge spot(s)?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-10-2021, 10:08 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2017 AMG GTS
AMG GTS trickle charge spot(s)?

Hello everyone and thank you for adding me!
Just recently acquired a ‘17 AMG GTS and LOVE IT!!!
Came out of a ‘06 911 997.1 4S and WOW what a difference!? 😎
Anywho, I am having difficulty in deciding what 12v socket should I use for trickle charging.. I purchased a charger from my local MB dealership hoping it’s the correct one. Does anyone have any experience with this particular charger?
I know I can simply use the alligator clips on the battery itself but my charger came with a cigarette lighter adapter.
Does anyone know if I can use the 12v accessory port in my truck area? I could with my 911.
Any help would be greatly appreciated & hopefully I’m posting this in the correct area.
Old 04-10-2021, 12:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 880 Likes on 453 Posts
Bentley Continental GT; AMG GT
You can use the rear accessory port in the hatch on the left hand side as it is live after ign stop. I use that port with a Ctek 7002. If you have the MB maintainer it too is a Ctek so polarity is correct. If your car is inside a garage then the hatch could be left open as I do.

Another place is under the hood right side, adjacent to the battery you'll find a red colored sliding plastic door with a + sign on it. Slide that open, and use alligator clips. Pos to that post and any good ground including the battery.

Also, should add - you want a battery maintainer, NOT a charger. I assume that's what you got from MB.
And yet another add - Check what battery type you have. With a GTS you might have a lithium battery an not a AGM. If that's the case, you'll want to check with the dealer that the maintainer they sold you will work with a lithium.

Last edited by Acta_Non_Verba; 04-10-2021 at 12:50 PM.
Old 04-10-2021, 02:03 PM

Received 387 Likes on 248 Posts
Both the CTEK and NOCO brands have units that will charge then automatically switch to maintenance mode and support wet-cell, AGM and lithium batteries ... e.g.,
Amazon Amazon
Old 04-10-2021, 03:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2017 AMG GTS
Thank you for the responses so far.

Yes I do have a MB charger which is also a maintainer please see pomace. My battery is also lithium ion.

Acta_non_verba I like how you have your car badging black chrome. Would you please attach a pic? I’m considering doin the same to mine.

Old 04-10-2021, 05:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 880 Likes on 453 Posts
Bentley Continental GT; AMG GT
Fitman,
My emblems are not black chrome, just black. If you want to see some others take a look at the picture thread, it appears right above the AMG GT general discussion forum. Peruse some of the cars from other members. There are some spectacular cars with awesome detailing on them. My car isn't one of them..LOL..
Old 04-11-2021, 12:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 966 Likes on 581 Posts
‘24 BMW iX M60
Fitman, since you have a Li battery make sure you read the manual as it entails something like pushing down on the reset button on the ‘charger’ for a specific amount of time after you plug it in iirc