Sponsored by:

Brake Assist System

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-17-2021, 12:05 AM

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts
2020 AMG GT R
Brake Assist System

So I was at the track earlier this week and could not figure out how to disable the Brake Assist System (i.e. brake boosting in emergency situations) in my 2020 GT R. Is there such an option? I disabled all the options under Vehicle > Assistance but I think those only cover Lane Keeping Assist and Active Brake Assist (automatic braking if collision is imminent).

More detail: the issue is when I'm behind someone coming up to a corner. The moment I touch the brakes in that scenario, two things happen - the brake overboosts so I get way more braking than I'm looking for, and the seatbelts tension up and crush me and my passenger into our seats. It was somewhat funny the first few times but gets OLD and really annoying very fast. This never happens when no one is in front of me, so it seems related to Active Brake Assist. But I definitely disabled ABA (double checked between sessions) and it made no difference. Any ideas? I really don't want to modify the ECU. Hoping there's an easy solution like some buried setting I missed or pulling a fuse.
Old 10-17-2021, 01:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,938 Likes on 2,629 Posts
2019 C63CS
You should be able to turn it off in the vehicle assistance settings, or it should also turn off if you turn ESP fully off. You should see the off symbol in the status bar if it's off, like shown below. Keep in mind it automatically reactivates each time you start the engine, so you have to turn it off each time. This is from my '19 C63S Coupe which shares the ESP and 9-stage TC with the GT R. Look for the collision off symbol at the bottom. That's how you know it's actually off.

The following users liked this post:
det000 (10-17-2021)
Old 10-17-2021, 11:19 AM

2020 AMG GT R
Thanks! I didn't try turning off ESP, so maybe that's it. I also never set the drive mode beyond Sport+. Perhaps it disables in Race mode? I did set Active Brake Assist off and it showed the collision off icon from your photo, but that wasn't enough on its own to stop this from happening.
Old 10-17-2021, 01:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 966 Likes on 581 Posts
‘24 BMW iX M60
1: Ensure ESP is completely Off, not just in Sport mode,

2: Then go into the DIC and turn of the Brake Assist.

It is frankly dangerous on a road course
The following users liked this post:
det000 (10-17-2021)
Old 10-17-2021, 07:31 PM

2020 AMG GT R
Thanks. I played around with it this afternoon. With ESP completely off, Active Brake Assist is disabled in the settings and can't be turned on. Of course I can't really test on the street whether this turned off the Brake Assist System, so will have to wait for the next track day. But, if so, it's a shame ESP has to be entirely disabled. I assume you can still get traction control via a the knob on the dash?
Old 10-17-2021, 07:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,938 Likes on 2,629 Posts
2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by det000
Thanks. I played around with it this afternoon. With ESP completely off, Active Brake Assist is disabled in the settings and can't be turned on. Of course I can't really test on the street whether this turned off the Brake Assist System, so will have to wait for the next track day. But, if so, it's a shame ESP has to be entirely disabled. I assume you can still get traction control via a the knob on the dash?
Yes, with ESP off that's when the 9-stage TC becomes active and you can control the amount of wheel slip you are comfortable with which while there's no more yaw control still gives you a level of safety. The TC knob is not active if ESP is on or in Sport mode. The one thing to know about AMGs is that even if ESP is off, it temporarily reactivates as soon as you step on the brakes. So if you get in trouble you can always step on the brakes and ESP will come back online trying to help you stabilize the car. Now I don't know if that also temporarily reactivates Active Brake Assist while you are on the brakes. It might be that disabling ABA only prevents it from suddenly applying the brakes while you are on the throttle, if it thinks there's a collision imminent, but if you are already on the brakes it may still assist and increase the braking pressure to make sure you are not rear ending the car in front. Basically what I've experienced with ABA on on the track is that if I tried to brake late into a corner with somebody in front of me, ABA would apply the brakes for me and beep at me, because it thought I was going to crash into the car ahead of me.

Last edited by superswiss; 10-17-2021 at 07:51 PM.
Old 10-18-2021, 06:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 966 Likes on 581 Posts
‘24 BMW iX M60
Originally Posted by superswiss
Yes, with ESP off that's when the 9-stage TC becomes active and you can control the amount of wheel slip you are comfortable with which while there's no more yaw control still gives you a level of safety. The TC knob is not active if ESP is on or in Sport mode. The one thing to know about AMGs is that even if ESP is off, it temporarily reactivates as soon as you step on the brakes. So if you get in trouble you can always step on the brakes and ESP will come back online trying to help you stabilize the car. Now I don't know if that also temporarily reactivates Active Brake Assist while you are on the brakes. It might be that disabling ABA only prevents it from suddenly applying the brakes while you are on the throttle, if it thinks there's a collision imminent, but if you are already on the brakes it may still assist and increase the braking pressure to make sure you are not rear ending the car in front. Basically what I've experienced with ABA on on the track is that if I tried to brake late into a corner with somebody in front of me, ABA would apply the brakes for me and beep at me, because it thought I was going to crash into the car ahead of me.
Above was never my experience: with ESP ‘Off’ and ABA disabled in the DIC which also had to occur as it was not automatic with ESP Off, the Active braking system would not engage regardless of my closing speed on the vehicle in front.