2022 Mercedes-AMG SL Roadster?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-08-2023 | 04:04 PM

AMG GTR Pro
Originally Posted by AMG 17GT
What accounts for all the extra weight the 2+2 adds maybe 12 inches of length. New chassis designs seem to always add strength and lose weight. The weight gain is 800 pounds? Strange.
My guess is AWD, stiffening for the soft top and the added length and seating.

I am sure that it will perform as a GT replacement but I am concerned about the pricing. A SL63S is a 200K+ car and it should be a 150K car. The premium for the EPerformance in the GT4 Door is about 25K. Scary numbers.

The following 3 users liked this post by AMG GTR Pro:
JSwan724 (02-08-2023), Orcbolg (02-09-2023), Wolfman (02-09-2023)
Old 02-09-2023 | 11:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 McLaren 720s Spider
Originally Posted by California John
If you, as do I wish to have a convertible, then there is no other choice but to get the new AMG SL. It is interesting to note that the engine has the same 0 to 60 times as does the AMG GTC which I owned for three years. A number of years ago I had a 550 SL and the tiny backseat didn't bother me. I don't know yet about how the cornering will be and handling and what the options will be in setting up in different modes. I suspect that they will have one fairly aggressive mode and that might be just fine. I will likely get one when it comes out because of my living in Southern California and loving a convertible. And, since it has massive horsepower available, equal to the AMG GTC, and equivalent 0 to 60 times, I think I will take my chances! I realize that this train of thought is antithetical to many in the AMG community and it is a travesty for them to see the new SL be labeled as an AMG even though AMG says it is from their shop! Oh well, when it comes out and people look at it and drive it maybe the snap judgments will loosen a bit.
First, I would qualify your answer to say that there is no other choice because they discontinued the GT platform. Second, and probably more importantly, I don't think that this part of the forum is disputing the AMG nomenclature....Mercedes throws that thing all over the place these days. In fact, that's an entirely different topic about how their marketing has diluted the value of what AMG represents. That isn't this though; the car is beautiful, and for sure AMG.

Rather, I think heads are being scratched over the idea that it is the replacement for the GT. It certainly takes some things from it and greatly improves the SL into what would be more suited to compare to a 911 convertible, but its not a GT. And, in calling it a GT, it would take a turn towards the same dilution of brand that Mercedes took with AMG.

Last edited by Skilly; 02-09-2023 at 11:08 AM.
Old 02-09-2023 | 12:21 PM

E55, 380SL, GLA 250 Sport, AMG GTS
Originally Posted by Skilly
First, I would qualify your answer to say that there is no other choice because they discontinued the GT platform. Second, and probably more importantly, I don't think that this part of the forum is disputing the AMG nomenclature....Mercedes throws that thing all over the place these days. In fact, that's an entirely different topic about how their marketing has diluted the value of what AMG represents. That isn't this though; the car is beautiful, and for sure AMG.

Rather, I think heads are being scratched over the idea that it is the replacement for the GT. It certainly takes some things from it and greatly improves the SL into what would be more suited to compare to a 911 convertible, but its not a GT. And, in calling it a GT, it would take a turn towards the same dilution of brand that Mercedes took with AMG.
Does a less desirable replacement model open doors for a more appreciated previous model?
Old 02-09-2023 | 12:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 McLaren 720s Spider
Originally Posted by UCIMBZ
Does a less desirable replacement model open doors for a more appreciated previous model?
Good question. I think if you're an SL fan, this might have spiced it up a bit and changed the profile of the customer. I think it grabs some GT customers (evidence here), 911 customers, and retain SL customers for the most part. Conversely, I think it takes away from the core GT customers and their wish list.

I walked away from my 911 TTS because it lacked the ingredients that the GT makes you "feel" as a driver. Didn't matter what it did on paper that was noted as better.
Old 02-09-2023 | 12:46 PM

AMG GTR Pro

Is the issue that AMG has built one platform and is calling it two different models? I guess we are going to need to see how they perform. If all the GT turns out to be nothing more than a hard top SL, then I think there will be a bunch of them sitting around dealerships.

The following users liked this post:
MalibuScott (02-09-2023)
Old 02-09-2023 | 12:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 McLaren 720s Spider
Originally Posted by AMG GTR Pro
Is the issue that AMG has built one platform and is calling it two different models? I guess we are going to need to see how they perform. If all the GT turns out to be nothing more than a hard top SL, then I think there will be a bunch of them sitting around dealerships.
unless they call it a Black Series

Old 02-09-2023 | 01:02 PM

AMG GTR Pro
unless they call it a Black Series

Sounds like in the future it would be the only car that could be turned into a Black Series.
Old 02-09-2023 | 03:56 PM
Super Moderator
MBWorld Ambassador

AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
AMG is one of the MB's cash machines and the SL is one of their most recognized nameplates with a 70 year heritage. Given that MB more or less axed all convertibles, the SL was the one to survive due to that name recognition and AMG was tasked to actually make this thing sporty and bring down the age demographic. On the other hand, the AMG GT models have virtually no name recognition, no matter how good they are. They also sold reasonably well for a low production model although the coupe much better than the roadster.

The unfortunate part with these cars is that weight doesn't seem to matter anymore and AMG simply tries to offset weight with improved engine/suspension tech. Same as BMW. From what I understand, the new AMG GT models will be more hardcore than the SL but will likely share its weight.
FWIW, just sharing a platform doesn't make these cars the same. New new C (W206), E (W214), S Class (W223) all share the same MRA 2 platform but they are clearly very different cars...

I think the pricing is a bigger issue. I like the new SL for what it is but think they overshot on the pricing and we'll see some bigger discounts soon. That would be the same for the GT. I don't imagine them underpricing the SL by much (potentially the same as the GT coupe/roadster).

Last edited by Wolfman; 02-09-2023 at 04:00 PM.
Old 02-09-2023 | 04:30 PM

E55, 380SL, GLA 250 Sport, AMG GTS
... there will be a bunch of them sitting around dealerships.
They sell. Don't think buyers are all well informed. They see new and they have to have it. If anything the current Rolex market strategy shows that there is something about hype that can't be replaced with anything else.
Old 02-09-2023 | 04:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 AMG SL63
Originally Posted by AMG 17GT
What accounts for all the extra weight the 2+2 adds maybe 12 inches of length. New chassis designs seem to always add strength and lose weight. The weight gain is 800 pounds? Strange.
It is an AWD car and that adds lots of weight. That is probably the main weight gain. The mechanics of raising and lowering the roof are also heavy. That's my guess. On my homemade skidpad test of a particular freeway transition close to me it is considerably faster than my GTS and subsequent GTC. Plus the extra weight from rear wheel steering (from the GTS to the GTC/SL63) no doubt adds some extra weight.
Old 02-09-2023 | 05:42 PM
Super Moderator
MBWorld Ambassador

AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by California John
It is an AWD car and that adds lots of weight. That is probably the main weight gain. The mechanics of raising and lowering the roof are also heavy. That's my guess. On my homemade skidpad test of a particular freeway transition close to me it is considerably faster than my GTS and subsequent GTC. Plus the extra weight from rear wheel steering (from the GTS to the GTC/SL63) no doubt adds some extra weight.
Per MB, 4matic adds less than 200 lbs to the weight ; I assume the AMG 4matic+ will be similar. On a Porsche 911, AWD adds 156lbs. A weight addition to be sure, but not accounting for all the weight gain. The AMG Ride Control will add some as well.
California John (02-09-2023)
Old 02-10-2023 | 09:58 AM

2015 Mercedes S550 Coupe
Hopefully the new GT does not come with rear seats, spy shots kind if show theres something back there

Lower the weight Mercedes!!
Orcbolg (02-10-2023)