Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-17-2022, 12:40 PM

Received 444 Likes on 238 Posts
AMG GTR
Oil Pressure / Exhaust Temperature Gauges Retrofitted

Hi,

Retrofitting additional gauges.

Recommend these gauges in 60mm. (Other if you have a different taste, of course)

I buy this Defi gauges in 60mm diameter.

https://de.aliexpress.com/item/40002...27424c4dEB19F4

These have a red outer ring and can be set to an matching amber scale. Goes very well with the face of the speedometer and tachometer. (dial scale GTR)

The 60mm version fits perfectly with the ventilation diameter.

Order the illuminated symbol buttons at the same time.(Amber / 12V / momentary) Since the stock "program" button on the back of the gauges is no longer accessible later.
The amber illumination fits with the stock switch illumination.

https://de.aliexpress.com/item/40012...27424c4d1O5ZYs

To tap the oil pressure you need an M12 x 1.5 to 1/8 NPT adapter. Supplement: recommend a total length of at least 1" here

An improvement would be to put the sensor straight up with an approx. 30cm long hydraulic hose.

For the screw-in sleeve of the exhaust gas temperature sensor. I drilled a hole between the turbo and the cat, (The downpipes were loose. I was able to vacuum the drill shavings), cut a 1/8 NPT thread (the housing is double-walled here, should prevent an internal "byblow") and TIG welded the top of sensor-sleeve on the outer housing.

Marked the aluminum heat shield with a light hammer blow. A suitable hole is drilled and placed tightly over the sensor sleeve. The sensor cable then fits well between the aluminum and sheet metal cover.

Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures at the time.

Best regards

Stenzel

Last edited by Stenzel-Germany; 07-17-2022 at 12:37 PM. Reason: supplement
The following 5 users liked this post by Stenzel-Germany:
Acta_Non_Verba (02-17-2022), canucklehead (02-19-2022), MalibuScott (02-17-2022), sadoclause (02-19-2022), thebishman (02-18-2022)
Old 02-17-2022, 01:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 879 Likes on 453 Posts
Bentley Continental GT; AMG GT
Hi Stenzel,

Brilliant solution! Thanks for posting the sources.

All the Best,

Old 02-17-2022, 03:05 PM

Received 677 Likes on 359 Posts
2020 GTA; 2022 Audi e-tron GT, 2022 Ford F-150; 1926 Rolls-Royce Springfield 40/50 Playboy roadster
Clean installation. Finding space for these things is never easy and this solution looks stock.
Old 02-18-2022, 09:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I want to do oil pressure, but I like to have AFR or fuel trims for the other gauge. They have an AFR gauge, but w/o a wideband it would only be calculated if available out of the OBD port and calculated is not useful. I'm investigating fuel trim gauges. Here too, it either needs to be two gauges or a split gauge.

Interesting, unless I missed it, Aliexpress vendor gives no information on the AFR gauge, what its interface is. A wideband needs a controller. There is only one obscure line in the description referring to no controller needed. I did the German translation of the page and might be lost in translation. If it means the AFR, then it must be picking up static data that is nothing more than a calculation and not useful.

I'll enjoy doing some investigation to see what I can find.

Thanks Stenzel!
Old 02-18-2022, 09:38 AM

Received 288 Likes on 114 Posts
2007 S65 AMG-Sold, 2007 SL55 P030 - 2016 GL450 - - 2017 AMG GTS - Sold - 2015 AMG S65
Stenzel I tried and used the Aliexpress links you posted but they did not get me to the items you described when I searched for item 40002 I got a general page where one of the items points me to the DEFI advanced system CR gauges where the gauges are in the $50 price range. 40012 got me to the illuminated buttons

Via US eBay I found the DEFI gauges advanced system BF which are priced in the $300 price range I'm trying to figure out the difference between the CR and BF series. Perhaps the BF series use a networked controller
Here are the eBay links I used -

https://www.ebay.com/itm/194827371536
https://www.ebay.com/itm/372827958137
https://www.ebay.com/itm/372827958128

Thanks for re-posting your information

Nice work as always

Best H
Old 02-18-2022, 11:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

If you look closely at the gauge face on Aliexpress you'll notice the logo DEFI is half blurred out. This is a common tactic with Chinese copies. They get sued if they put a logo on a product to sell it as a copy, but apparently they pull it off not using the actual logo in their advertising. I've had the same with known Chinese knockoffs with some GM diagnostic tools I've purchased on AliEx. Tools worked fine and they did have the GM logos on the actual product.

It might explain the price differences you're seeing on Ebay.
Old 02-18-2022, 04:06 PM

AMG GTR
Hi Herman, Steve,

They don't necessarily have to be copies. Many brand manufacturers have their products manufactured in China. One would be surprised ;-)
Over Ali sometimes sells the same products directly.

The linked gauges (brandet Defi) are "stand alone". They have their own sensor and work independently.

There are also some from Defi that are controlled via a bus. (OBD?) But that also requires the right protocol, and the desired signal must also be available.
Didn't concern myself with that, since oil pressure and exhaust gas temperature are not on any bus.

@ Herman,
Defi's "External" control knobs do not work on these instruments. There is no connection.
I soldered the wires of the retrofitted external buttons (second link : Amber / 12V / Momentary) directly in the gauge. It was possible with the necessary cutting.

I don't know how the Ali website is presented to you. But you can switch to English and USD above.
Shure, the "translations" aren't the best.

@ Steve,

Connection A/F ratio,

The only accurate gauges I personally know of, always have an external (Inovate) Lambda controller.

In the installation instructions, first it says to connect "yellow wire for tacho signal". That must be wrong.
Text under point 3 (A/F ratio) says: "Connect the yellow wire to the output signal wire of a Air / Fuel ratio controller or ECU."

I guess you need a external controller to.

Best regards

Stenzel

Last edited by Stenzel-Germany; 02-18-2022 at 05:03 PM. Reason: supplement
The following users liked this post:
Acta_Non_Verba (02-18-2022)
Old 02-18-2022, 04:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hi Stenzel,

Yes, I agree on the Chinese knockoffs. That is what happened with some of the purchases I have made in the past. For example, the GM Tech II diagnostic tool that the factory built to supply a tool to dealers (similar to Xentry) was assembled in China. It costs $2,000. Then after a while, there were Tech IIs available on Aliexpress for $300. They had all the functions as the genuine tool except that it used a "crack" password and stagnant SW so a few features that allowed a direct connect with GM was missing. I have no doubt the tool design was copied, and the tooling and molds to make the parts must have run extra shifts and the SW copied and hacked. All of the labeling including logos that would appear on the genuine tool came in the box of the copy. You would add them if you wanted the tool to look genuine.

On the AFR gauge above, it confirms it is using a calculated AFR which can only be close to accurate but can also be very inaccurate as it will only display what the AFR is programmed to be at any point. It is similar to the concept of the VVE (Virtual Volumetric Efficiency) table used to fuel. It all works in theory, but in the case of a fueling problem, such as a dirty fuel injector or a bad fuel pressure regulator the gauge would look like normal AFR. So, I need to rethink that option.

Yes an Innovate Motorsports LC-1 is a good wideband that I've used when tuning. It uses a Bosch LSU 4.2 or a 4.9 Wideband.
Old 02-18-2022, 04:59 PM

AMG GTR
Hi Steve,

The same with my MB C4 multiplexer. This is definitely a clone. But works perfectly.

If you have the LC 1 controller, test the instrument with it. In the worst case you burned 40 USD.

If it works you'll need another USD 200 LC1 controller. (Switchable for bank 1 / 2 ?)
But you have an very accurate measuring device.

Think be able to connect the LC1 directly to the 1st (befor cat) wideband lambda sensor.

Best regards

Stenzel

Last edited by Stenzel-Germany; 02-18-2022 at 05:02 PM.
Old 05-19-2022, 10:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

After months of searching, and using multiple sources, I've FINALLY found a center vent cluster. Purchased it and expecting it next week.

Now I can proceed with this mod while preserving the factory original part (which I always do).

Much respect and props to Stenzel for this creative mod...

Old 05-19-2022, 12:34 PM

Received 288 Likes on 114 Posts
2007 S65 AMG-Sold, 2007 SL55 P030 - 2016 GL450 - - 2017 AMG GTS - Sold - 2015 AMG S65
Same here

Originally Posted by Acta_Non_Verba
After months of searching, and using multiple sources, I've FINALLY found a center vent cluster. Purchased it and expecting it next week.

Now I can proceed with this mod while preserving the factory original part (which I always do).

Much respect and props to Stenzel for this creative mod...
When I free up some time I'll be doing the same so keep me in the loop via email & thread on this one.

Thanks
Old 05-19-2022, 12:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Hendrik Koster
When I free up some time I'll be doing the same so keep me in the loop via email & thread on this one.

Thanks
Wiil do Hendrik,

Now, I am back to the gauge choices which we've all kicked around some already. I am down for the oil pressure gauge, but want to search out another possibility for the second one.

Best,
Old 05-19-2022, 03:20 PM

AMG GTR
Hi Steve / Hendrik,

If you choose other instruments:

for oil pressure a 5 bar gauge would be nicer.

You only have 1 bar (idle) and regulated 2 bar or max. 4 bar (58 psi) oil pressure.

Best regards

Stenzel

Last edited by Stenzel-Germany; 05-19-2022 at 03:23 PM.
Old 05-19-2022, 04:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Stenzel-Germany
Hi Steve / Hendrik,

If you choose other instruments:

for oil pressure a 5 bar gauge would be nicer.

You only have 1 bar (idle) and regulated 2 bar or max. 4 bar (58 psi) oil pressure.

Best regards

Stenzel
Hi Stenzel,

Thanks for this information.

I will resume my search for gauges. When I first saw your idea, I searched for gauges then. In the US, 60mm gauges are impossible to find. US products are all non-metric sizes, usually 2.00" or 2.5" (60mm is 2.36"). I will need to be looking in the Chinese marketplaces for 60mm.

Can you comment on the 60mm fit? was it loose, or tight?

Best,
Old 05-20-2022, 10:28 AM

Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts
AMG GT C Edition 50
Hi Stenzel,

I will resume my search for gauges. When I first saw your idea, I searched for gauges then. In the US, 60mm gauges are impossible to find. US products are all non-metric sizes, usually 2.00" or 2.5" (60mm is 2.36"). I will need to be looking in the Chinese marketplaces for 60mm.

Best,
And for those of us who have always been concerned with oil pressure, can you explain why MB / AMG doesn't seem to care? Exhaust temp is great to know, but I've always considered oil pressure mandatory.
sevenhead (05-24-2022)
Old 05-20-2022, 10:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by AndrewFerg
And for those of us who have always been concerned with oil pressure, can you explain why MB / AMG doesn't seem to care?
I have no affiliation or working relationship with AMG or MB, so I cannot explain it....sorry....

All the Best,
Old 05-20-2022, 12:23 PM

AMG GTR
Hi Stenzel,

Best,
Hi Acta,

the 60mm could be rotated without violence, but not loose.I also wrapped another layer of thin fabric tape around it.
The height was also right.Here I underlaid thin foam rubber at 3 points.

You can't see the pressed instrument ring.The visible silver screen is from the original ventilation.

Still have a set of reserve instruments.When I'm back home (July) I'll be happy to measure it for you.

Best regards

Stenzel
Old 05-21-2022, 10:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hi Acta,

the 60mm could be rotated without violence, but not loose.I also wrapped another layer of thin fabric tape around it.
The height was also right.Here I underlaid thin foam rubber at 3 points.

You can't see the pressed instrument ring.The visible silver screen is from the original ventilation.

Still have a set of reserve instruments.When I'm back home (July) I'll be happy to measure it for you.

Best regards

Stenzel
Hi Stenzel,

Thank you. I should get the spare cluster I purchased next week. As soon as I have it I will start a more thorough look at what gauges I can creatively fit. With machine room access, I might also be able to create a "fit" that could accommodate other gauge sizes.

Since then, I have found a couple of options from Auto Meter, however, I still see the gauges you've used as a strong first option. I know you have a lot going on right now, so, please don't go out of your way when you return.

All the best to you, and safe travels,

Acta
Old 05-22-2022, 03:01 AM

AMG GTR
Hi Stenzel,

Thank you. I should get the spare cluster I purchased next week. As soon as I have it I will start a more thorough look at what gauges I can creatively fit. With machine room access, I might also be able to create a "fit" that could accommodate other gauge sizes.

Since then, I have found a couple of options from Auto Meter, however, I still see the gauges you've used as a strong first option. I know you have a lot going on right now, so, please don't go out of your way when you return.

All the best to you, and safe travels,

Acta
Hi Acta,

in germany, the 52mm gauges are the most common. Had few in the parts box.
My first attempt was also to work with 52mm gauges. Also saves cutting the gaugehousing due to the smaller diameter.
Turned a suitable spacer ring. And installed as a test mock up.
I was bothered by the look of the result. It wasn't bad and almost better than no oil pressure :-)
However, it had the "added on" look. Wasn't 100% satisfied. Now I have at least 90% :-) (100% would be 5 bar and same / identical stock design dials)

When choosing the instruments, it was important to me that it was close to the stock speedo/ tach gauges:
Red illuminated pointer, amber lighting, stepper motor with 270 degree opening ceremony.
The defi also have an additional red outer ring.
Haven't found anything better. (Needed 3 orders :-))

Last winter (handicraft time :-)) I couldn't do anything bigger due to lack of time.
Only have my one color amber "Ambiente Light for poor people" :-) a bit extended.
and a stock carbon "Engine" cover in white body color with black lettering.

Have a few projects this winter. Collect lots of parts.
With the difference, learned that from you and Hendrik, (and 2-3 others) want take more pictures.:-)

GTR Pro front/rear/vent.

My latest acquisition are black series twinscroll turbos, complete with all oil / water lines / gaskets / bolts/ heatshield (TS exhaust manifold from GT 63S) All new parts.
I am fascinated by the twin scroll concept. I'm less interested in the extra power, more in the decoupling of the exhaust gases. It's like installing a header. :-)

Sorry, for off topic. I am based in Switzerland and cannot do anything outside of my regular working hours. Like vacation but also boredom.

Best regards

Stenzel

Last edited by Stenzel-Germany; 05-22-2022 at 03:12 AM.
Acta_Non_Verba (05-22-2022)
Old 05-23-2022, 07:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hi Acta,

in germany, the 52mm gauges are the most common. Had few in the parts box.
My first attempt was also to work with 52mm gauges. Also saves cutting the gaugehousing due to the smaller diameter.
Turned a suitable spacer ring. And installed as a test mock up.
I was bothered by the look of the result. It wasn't bad and almost better than no oil pressure :-)
However, it had the "added on" look. Wasn't 100% satisfied. Now I have at least 90% :-) (100% would be 5 bar and same / identical stock design dials)

When choosing the instruments, it was important to me that it was close to the stock speedo/ tach gauges:
Red illuminated pointer, amber lighting, stepper motor with 270 degree opening ceremony.
The defi also have an additional red outer ring.
Haven't found anything better. (Needed 3 orders :-))

Last winter (handicraft time :-)) I couldn't do anything bigger due to lack of time.
Only have my one color amber "Ambiente Light for poor people" :-) a bit extended.
and a stock carbon "Engine" cover in white body color with black lettering.

Have a few projects this winter. Collect lots of parts.
With the difference, learned that from you and Hendrik, (and 2-3 others) want take more pictures.:-)

GTR Pro front/rear/vent.

My latest acquisition are black series twinscroll turbos, complete with all oil / water lines / gaskets / bolts/ heatshield (TS exhaust manifold from GT 63S) All new parts.
I am fascinated by the twin scroll concept. I'm less interested in the extra power, more in the decoupling of the exhaust gases. It's like installing a header. :-)

Sorry, for off topic. I am based in Switzerland and cannot do anything outside of my regular working hours. Like vacation but also boredom.

Best regards

Stenzel
Hi Stenzel,

Yes, 52mm gauges here in the US very popular. 68mm popular too. I'll figure it out once I get the center vent cluster.

I am interested in your twin scroll project and hope you create a thread for it once you get it started.

All the Best,

Acta
Old 07-19-2022, 07:57 PM

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
AMG GT C 50th Edition
For this oil pressure port on the block, is there a recommended way of accessing it to install the fitting for the aftermarket oil pressure sensor? what is recommended, from under the vehicle or from the top side? Thank you
Old 07-19-2022, 09:08 PM

AMG GTR
Hi,

Under side works.

Best regards

Stenzel
Old 08-03-2022, 05:50 PM

AMG GTR
Hi Acta,

Did you find Gauges?

Do you still need the dimensions?Unfortunately went under in the rush.

Best regards

Stenzel
Old 08-03-2022, 05:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hi Acta,

Did you find Gauges?

Do you still need the dimensions?Unfortunately went under in the rush.

Best regards

Stenzel
Hi Stenzel,

Unfortunately, I've had a little setback on this project. Sadly, I am still at first base, but the desire is still there to do this project.

It is a GREAT idea and I think, because it is, the center vents are being purchased on Ebay and other outlets faster than I have been able to get to them.....BUT, I'm NOT giving up!

I think this project should be a STICKY and requesting that if a moderator sees this.

Best to you,

Acta
Old 08-03-2022, 10:54 PM

AMG GTR
Hi Acta,

Since you want it reversible, the only parts that need machining are the ventilation ducts.Everything else remains standard.

Both ventilation ducts have the number: A1908304400
price (new) per piece approx. 160 USD :-(

2 x used:

MERCEDES BENZ AIR NOZZLE, PART# 1908304400, GENUINE OEM | eBay

Like new, complete centerpart:

Mercedes GTR GTC GT C190 W190 Air Nozzle Nozzle from dashboard center 1908304400 | eBay

Best regards

Stenzel

Last edited by Stenzel-Germany; 08-03-2022 at 10:56 PM.
Acta_Non_Verba (08-06-2022)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Oil Pressure / Exhaust Temperature Gauges Retrofitted