Purchasing a new vehicle in another state over the internet

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-07-2022, 11:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 220 Likes on 156 Posts
2018 Solarbeam Yellow AMG GTS
Purchasing a new vehicle in another state over the internet

I’m interested in buying a car for my son who is in school in another state. He lives off campus .Inventory is bad there. If I purchase a car from a dealer in a totally different state, can I ship it to my sons state?

How does title , tax and registration work ? Would he need to get it registered in his state and pay sales taxes again ?

am I better off getting one in my state , registering it in my home state and shipping it down to him.
Old 06-08-2022, 08:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 879 Likes on 453 Posts
Bentley Continental GT; AMG GT
Hi 64,

The questions you're asking are all doable and some dealers are better at it than others. I am reading into your post this is a new car, not used? I'll describe my situation, at least one I almost completed.

I placed an order for a new Corvette C8 from a dealer in New Hampshire. I live in Arizona. I canceled the order before the car was built, but if I had completed it I would have had these options:

1. The car could be shipped directly to a dealer here in AZ and they would have charged me a courtesy delivery fee for prep, etc., Fees range from about $400 to $800. Some dealers don't do courtesy deliveries because they discourage you buying from out of state so they might not agree to accept the car even for a fee.
2. I could have flown to NH and picked the car up. That way the receiving NH dealer would have prepped the car.
3. The NH dealer would have received the car and transported it closed carrier directly to my door (quoted $2300).

The dealer placing the order usually handles all the tax collection, reg, title, even though it might be a different state where the car will be titled. This also has mixed results. Some dealers are good at it some not so much. Depends whether the dealer has some experience selling their car to out of state buyers. They only collect, and you only pay taxes to one state, not two. I am going to post a thread from another forum (hope that's OK) giving you some examples of stories with good/bad endings. You can read through some of the posts to get a feel for it. This is only one of several threads so if you go to this site you can search for lots of discussion on the topic.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-resident.html

Regards what state to register. MY opinion, I would register it in my state, probably, especially if your son plans to return to your state after school, even if that is years away. On the other hand, and since states can very a lot how much registration, taxes, and reregistration costs each year, the state where you son goes to school might be an advantage for a few years, then he can reregister it in your state when he returns.

One edit on where to register - The registration state should match your son's driver's license state.

Hope this helps,

Acta

Last edited by Acta_Non_Verba; 06-08-2022 at 08:14 AM.
Old 06-08-2022, 08:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 538 Likes on 337 Posts
2024 AMG G63
The dealer should be willing and able to help you.

TITLE AND REGISTRATION
Of course they are going to wait until they have collected funds in their bank but they should complete the title work and issue thier temporary tags.

Whether they collect the sales tax and send the title work in to the state you want the car registered in varies since some states don’t have that type of arrangement with each other. If they do, then you just give up the money and they will complete everything for you.

If they don’t then they will complete their portion of the title and paperwork and send it to you with stickers indicating where you will need to sign. Then you take it to the DMV pay the tax and register and tag the car.

SHIPPING

The dealer has access to shippers and transporters. They may want you to pay some or all of the fee. As you know it’s going to be pricey with gas especially diesel as high as it is.

Good luck and I hope everything works out.

Jerry

Last edited by JSwan724; 06-08-2022 at 01:59 PM.
Old 06-08-2022, 12:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks for the responses . You guys have helped a lot !
Old 06-08-2022, 12:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks for the responses . You guys have helped a lot !