Transmission jerking

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-21-2022 | 02:18 PM

AMG GT C Edition 50
Thank you Acta and Stenzel for being members of this forum. Acta, I can't tell you the number of times I've had otherwise well-informed auto enthusiasts not understand how a DCT transmission operates. Your explanation is very good. In this particular case, when I see the RPMs fluctuating as the car is jerking, it seems rather obvious to me (but I could be wrong) that it is a DCT issue and that what you're seeing is the clutch engaging disengaging engaging and disengaging. It's just a little confused as to whether the car is stopping or not stopping. It's also possible that the clutches themselves are little out of spec. Finally I've noticed that the transmission in my Edition 50 is a little more jerky stopping when it's cold outside and when the clutches are not warmed up. That may be a factor in this particular case.

Last edited by AndrewFerg; 11-21-2022 at 02:21 PM.
Old 11-21-2022 | 02:41 PM

Bish: All the pads I've replaced in AMGs had the sensor plate-cutout or pad-hole on both pads, but I see what you mean.

There are some pads for some vehicles that actually are "directional," normally having to do with noise reduction (e.g., chamfer difference on leading vs trailing edge). I assumed that's what the dealer was talking about. I guess that assumption was biased by the opinion I have of most dealers, somewhat based upon the various postings illustrating dealership BS that's too often served. To be clear, there _are_ some great dealer service shops. I know this from experience.
The following users liked this post:
thebishman (11-21-2022)
Old 11-21-2022 | 02:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘24 BMW iX M60
Originally Posted by user33
Bish: All the pads I've replaced in AMGs had the sensor plate-cutout or pad-hole on both pads, but I see what you mean.

There are some pads for some vehicles that actually are "directional," normally having to do with noise reduction (e.g., chamfer difference on leading vs trailing edge). I assumed that's what the dealer was talking about. I guess that assumption was biased by the opinion I have of most dealers, somewhat based upon the various postings illustrating dealership BS that's too often served. To be clear, there _are_ some great dealer service shops. I know this from experience.
It has been a while since I changed the pads on my dearly departed GTR to the Pagid RSC1s and I actually think I was confusing the ‘cutout’ on the backing plates with my ‘15 C7 Z06/7 which I changed numerous times.

Makes complete sense for the manufacturer doesn’t it, as there is no need to have Brembo and Pagid, (the GTR OEM brake pad supplier depending on F versus R) manufacture two differing backing plates which would cost more I suspect.
user33 (11-22-2022)
Old 11-21-2022 | 04:47 PM

AMG GTS
i have a 2016 GTS, at first i thought i have been experiencing the same issue as the OP, until i watched the video- mine is a bit different. but i'll share as there are some similarities.

For me i feel a bit of a clunky gear change when slowing to a stop. it feels like when it goes from 3rd- 2nd -1st and experience just a slightly jolty change. not smooth.i mentioned it at the last service, but Mercedes did not find anything and they did the driveshaft recall and thought that might be a factor, it wasn't
i'll try the slightly harder breaking and see if its related to the gearbox tips mentioned above.
Old 11-21-2022 | 05:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Bentley Continental GT; AMG GT
Originally Posted by AndrewFerg
Thank you Acta and Stenzel for being members of this forum. Acta, I can't tell you the number of times I've had otherwise well-informed auto enthusiasts not understand how a DCT transmission operates. Your explanation is very good. In this particular case, when I see the RPMs fluctuating as the car is jerking, it seems rather obvious to me (but I could be wrong) that it is a DCT issue and that what you're seeing is the clutch engaging disengaging engaging and disengaging. It's just a little confused as to whether the car is stopping or not stopping. It's also possible that the clutches themselves are little out of spec. Finally I've noticed that the transmission in my Edition 50 is a little more jerky stopping when it's cold outside and when the clutches are not warmed up. That may be a factor in this particular case.
Hi Andrew,

Thank you for the kind words. I walk in Stenzel's shadow....much respect for him (:-). He is a valued friend

Best to you,

Acta

Last edited by Acta_Non_Verba; 11-22-2022 at 08:08 AM.
Old 11-21-2022 | 05:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘24 BMW iX M60
Originally Posted by Simbad
i have a 2016 GTS, at first i thought i have been experiencing the same issue as the OP, until i watched the video- mine is a bit different. but i'll share as there are some similarities.

For me i feel a bit of a clunky gear change when slowing to a stop. it feels like when it goes from 3rd- 2nd -1st and experience just a slightly jolty change. not smooth.i mentioned it at the last service, but Mercedes did not find anything and they did the driveshaft recall and thought that might be a factor, it wasn't
i'll try the slightly harder breaking and see if its related to the gearbox tips mentioned above.

Even in 'C' mode and in Auto there can be a bit of a clunk when the car is almost stopped and changes into 1st from 2nd. To mitigate this, I would just initiate the downshift into 1st manually by pulling the left paddle at around 10 mph iirc. This increase in revs when changing down into 1st actually smoothes out that shift so it doesn't jar as much. If you're in Auto, the car will change back into fully Auto mode as you're stopped so it's just a transient change of mode.
Surge (07-19-2023)
Old 02-27-2023 | 07:00 PM

C63s(lost)/E250/GTR(Sold)/GTS(Carbonerre)
I had a good news for you. I recently found out this problem is a kind of "bug" in TCU calibration from factory. And I made a 100% solid fix solution for it.
If you still need help let me know. Soon I will open a thread about this issue widely happen on post 2017 AMG GT 2door TCU calibration(include GT GTS GTC GTR GT BS).
Old 03-01-2023 | 02:18 PM

GTR
Originally Posted by srO_Michael_Orz
I had a good news for you. I recently found out this problem is a kind of "bug" in TCU calibration from factory. And I made a 100% solid fix solution for it.
If you still need help let me know. Soon I will open a thread about this issue widely happen on post 2017 AMG GT 2door TCU calibration(include GT GTS GTC GTR GT BS).
it will be usefull if you post your advice how to get it done.
Old 03-01-2023 | 02:31 PM

C63s(lost)/E250/GTR(Sold)/GTS(Carbonerre)
Originally Posted by dav461
it will be usefull if you post your advice how to get it done.
Recalibrate the "BUG" area in Factory calibration. (Need TCU tuning)
Old 07-09-2023 | 10:02 PM

GT C coupe
I just started experiencing the same thing on my 2020 GTC. Coming to a stop in C mode from 35mph 5th gear, cruising on the brake pedal, the car slows down fine right to the 5-10mph mark where the DCT shifts from 2nd to 1st. Then, if Im not firm on the brake pedal it jerks back and forth (just like in OP's video), can clearly hear the noise coming from the rear of the car (clutch engaging/disengaging??). This issue is very specific to the amount of pressure applied to the brake pedal. If Im more firm on the brake pedal while slowing down from 35mph to a full stop this issue does not appear.
I really hope nothing is wrong and that this is the normal DCT operation of the TCU "thinking" if were going up gears or down based on the % of brake pedal depression and speed. It is kind of hard to replicate, taking the car to the local dealer will most likely result in "we couldn't replicate the issue".
I tend to drive the car hard with DCT in M mode, and i dont have any issues with going up or down the gears.
Old 07-10-2023 | 02:00 PM
Out Of Control!!

PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Originally Posted by russAMG
I just started experiencing the same thing on my 2020 GTC. Coming to a stop in C mode from 35mph 5th gear, cruising on the brake pedal, the car slows down fine right to the 5-10mph mark where the DCT shifts from 2nd to 1st. Then, if Im not firm on the brake pedal it jerks back and forth (just like in OP's video), can clearly hear the noise coming from the rear of the car (clutch engaging/disengaging??). This issue is very specific to the amount of pressure applied to the brake pedal. If Im more firm on the brake pedal while slowing down from 35mph to a full stop this issue does not appear.
I really hope nothing is wrong and that this is the normal DCT operation of the TCU "thinking" if were going up gears or down based on the % of brake pedal depression and speed. It is kind of hard to replicate, taking the car to the local dealer will most likely result in "we couldn't replicate the issue".
I tend to drive the car hard with DCT in M mode, and i dont have any issues with going up or down the gears.
Might be a software adaptation issue then, it for some reason got accustomed to a certain shift adaptation. Manual mode as you already am aware does not learn from driving habits, (learning process is halted until car is back in automatic mode, from what I read anyways).
Old 08-15-2023 | 10:54 PM

2007 E63 AMG
OP - Did you ever get this resolved? My 17 GT is doing the exact same thing
Old 08-16-2023 | 12:55 PM

GT C coupe
Seems like the issue went away when downshifting in auto. But now I started to notice that when I get into R, the car jerks going backwards.
The RPMs jump slightly if im in R gear and fully stopped. It does it for maybe 10 seconds and then stops. And I can drive in R smoothly. If i don't want the 10 seconds and I proceed to back into my garage, it jerks the entire time im reversing. Not sure why it does it but it feels like the R gear is not fully engaged maybe? The car does this maybe 1 out of 8 times when I reverse.
Old 09-27-2023 | 02:33 PM

Hey sorry I came back on forums after a long time, So I sold that car back in January on the auction and bought 2011 E350 4matic. I did try my best to get it back on road, installed a new transmission from a junk car and replaced TCM two times but couldn't get rid of the slippage, That car was at 186,000 miles but it was a great car. I guess it was a bad luck but I see lots of w204 or even w205 have these slippage problems than any other Mercedes models.