bumpy roads damage on hard suspension

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-13-2023, 08:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
gtr
bumpy roads damage on hard suspension

Hello,

Just a quick question wondering if driving on bumpy roads is bad for the amg gt(specifically gtr) suspension. From where I have to go everyday there are two paths where one is smooth but it's a much longer path and one is much shorter but the road is pretty bumpy. Those bumps are not intense, meaning they arent steep and actually touching the suspension, but they are frequent and you can feel it very much inside the car.

I wonder if occasionally driving on much surface(like a few hundred meter for few days a week) is damaging and I should avoid it or it should be fine.

Thank you
Old 01-13-2023, 09:38 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,512 Likes on 2,136 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Originally Posted by Hhccc1
Hello,

Just a quick question wondering if driving on bumpy roads is bad for the amg gt(specifically gtr) suspension. From where I have to go everyday there are two paths where one is smooth but it's a much longer path and one is much shorter but the road is pretty bumpy. Those bumps are not intense, meaning they arent steep and actually touching the suspension, but they are frequent and you can feel it very much inside the car.

I wonder if occasionally driving on much surface(like a few hundred meter for few days a week) is damaging and I should avoid it or it should be fine.

Thank you
I am guessing tt probably doesn't affect it in the short term but add to the wear and tear in the long term.
The following users liked this post:
Hhccc1 (01-15-2023)
Old 01-14-2023, 12:37 PM

Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts
AMG GT C Edition 50
What year is your GTR? What tires are you running and at what PSI? What suspension setting are you using? All makes a difference. I have a 2018 GTC and on soft it handles roads you describe very well with Contis at street psi. I have no worries of suspension damage and I truly almost always take the LONGER way home!

Can one of the more knowledgeable members definitively clear up if and how the suspension differs between the GTC and the GTR? You can find "experts" claiming they are identical to the GTR rear only being much stiffer.
Hhccc1 (01-15-2023)
Old 01-15-2023, 01:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
gtr
Originally Posted by AndrewFerg
What year is your GTR? What tires are you running and at what PSI? What suspension setting are you using? All makes a difference. I have a 2018 GTC and on soft it handles roads you describe very well with Contis at street psi. I have no worries of suspension damage and I truly almost always take the LONGER way home!

Can one of the more knowledgeable members definitively clear up if and how the suspension differs between the GTC and the GTR? You can find "experts" claiming they are identical to the GTR rear only being much stiffer.
Thank you for the information and experience, from what you say I think I can feel safer, perhaps it's due to the stiffer tuning of the suspension that makes the road feels extra bumpy. Maybe with another car it wouldn't be as bad
Old 01-15-2023, 12:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 959 Likes on 576 Posts
‘24 BMW iX M60
Originally Posted by Hhccc1
Thank you for the information and experience, from what you say I think I can feel safer, perhaps it's due to the stiffer tuning of the suspension that makes the road feels extra bumpy. Maybe with another car it wouldn't be as bad
Make sure you are running the correct ‘normal’, not high speed/high payload tyre psi. Many dealerships will put the ‘Autobahn’ psi in the tyres which destroys the compliance.

In my GTR the recommended unloaded/normal psi was 31 lbs all round if iirc. I always drove it with 29 psi all round to help the compliance even more and experienced zero issues with aberrant handling and/or tyre wear.

Lower the standard psi by 2 lbs F & R, put it in Comfort mode and you’LL be fine as I believe the suspension setup in the GTR is substantially firmer than in the GTC.
mbjj57 (01-18-2023)