Engine Oil Level

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-16-2023, 08:03 AM

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
AMG GTR
Engine Oil Level

Hello

Just had the GTR serviced and first time i drove it - i get a “engine oil level - reduce oil level” message about 20 miles into the drive. Used the car again later in the day and no message or warning present (it cleared).

I remember seeing if after last years service too - do the techs not know what they are doing? Or did they fill it up too much?

Should i take it back to them or just leave it? (Unless it comes up again)….
Old 01-16-2023, 08:50 AM

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
300sl roadster
Had my GTR serviced and 2 - 3 days later the same light came on...I cleared it with the x cancel button and now it comes on randomly every few days...I guess I just need to drive it harder and burn some of it away !!
Old 01-16-2023, 09:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 700 Likes on 533 Posts
R Nine T
So the oil change procedure requires the engine and oil to be run at an operating temperature for a period of time. Neglecting this part of the oil change will result in overfilling as cold oil will expand when hot.
The following users liked this post:
AndrewFerg (01-17-2023)
Old 01-16-2023, 10:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,488 Likes on 986 Posts
This place is a joke.
The oil dipstick is not really correct, there's a tech bulletin about this. Basically the level should be at the minimum mark when at full operating temp. I don't know why MB has not issued new correctly calibrated dipsticks, likely that they don't care.

Last edited by E55Greasemonkey; 01-16-2023 at 10:25 AM.
Old 01-16-2023, 10:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 959 Likes on 576 Posts
‘24 BMW iX M60
Originally Posted by DarkknightgGTR
Hello

Just had the GTR serviced and first time i drove it - i get a “engine oil level - reduce oil level” message about 20 miles into the drive. Used the car again later in the day and no message or warning present (it cleared).

I remember seeing if after last years service too - do the techs not know what they are doing? Or did they fill it up too much?

Should i take it back to them or just leave it? (Unless it comes up again)….
Use the procedure in the manual to check the level yourself in case it is overfilled.
Old 01-16-2023, 01:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
gtr
Originally Posted by AMG 17GT
So the oil change procedure requires the engine and oil to be run at an operating temperature for a period of time. Neglecting this part of the oil change will result in overfilling as cold oil will expand when hot.
Great insight! The oil overfill message also occurred to me, had to get the oil reduced twice. Second time at the dealer where the car is already driven long and at 95 to 100 degrees. The message still shows, but the dealer did reduce enough oil so it's measured correctly even hot which is slightly strange. I guess I just need to burn it off with more drives. I hope over filling doesn't do any damage to the engine though.
Old 01-18-2023, 04:52 AM

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
AMG GTR
Originally Posted by Hhccc1
Great insight! The oil overfill message also occurred to me, had to get the oil reduced twice. Second time at the dealer where the car is already driven long and at 95 to 100 degrees. The message still shows, but the dealer did reduce enough oil so it's measured correctly even hot which is slightly strange. I guess I just need to burn it off with more drives. I hope over filling doesn't do any damage to the engine though.
The dealer told me they followed the Mercedes recommended procedure. Will try to measure it myself

Im not sure how it could damage the engine as its a dry sump design. the oil sits in the reservoir.and pumped into the engine as needed.....but maybe I am wrong
Old 01-18-2023, 06:29 AM

Received 81 Likes on 44 Posts
2018 Mercedes-AMG GT R
You're not wrong however if the oil tank was overfilled the returning oil could not be properly deaerated. In general practice the returning frothy oil is picked up by the scavenge pumps and returned to the oil tank. The tank is plumbed such that the return is high on the side and at an angle so it serves as a swirl pot which helps with the deaeration. They are never plumbed in such a way that the oil would be directed into the mass of the oil at a right angle. Any race engine builder has specific instructions on the care and feeding of a dry sump system.
No idea of any peculiarities as it applies to the M178 engine.
The following 2 users liked this post by sevenhead:
MalibuScott (01-19-2023), MBNRG (01-18-2023)