Sponsored by:

GTC carbon fiber rear diffuser

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-02-2023, 11:54 AM

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts
GLS450
GTC carbon fiber rear diffuser

Does anyone make a finned carbon fiber rear diffuser for the GTC? I’m having no luck searching. Darwin’s only comes with the rear bumper. RW doesn’t seem to have one that’s finned.
Old 02-03-2023, 09:28 AM

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
2020 AMG GTC
I was looking for it for quite some time. The only one that got close and at reasonable price range ($2K) was RW Carbon.

However, the RW rear diffuser does not fit AMG GTC facelift variation (2020 and on).:
1. If you look at the attached photo, you will see that RW product show a single exhaust pipe while the facelift GTC has a dual pipe structure and requires a wider opening.
2. The fins are relatively shallow and concentrated in the center, not very impressive visually.
3. They got rid of the side OEM diffuser opening on both sides of the reverse light and left it open. The airflow is getting "organized" in the center of the car, but unstructured in the space between the last fin and the exhaust pipes on each side, kind of defeating the real reason for having a rear diffuser. 6-8 fins structure properly spaced will be a better fit.
4. The RW carbon is made of wet carbon, not a big issue if you are not concern about weight and strength.

Since the GTC is not as popular in the mod's world as the GTS and GTR, it seems that RW and other aftermarket makers are not focusing their options around the GTC.

If several of us will start to put pressure on one company (RW) and show them the sales potential, maybe they will have their partner in China create a version that will fit the facelift GTC correctly.

Old 02-03-2023, 09:34 AM

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts
GLS450
I actually spoke to John at RW yesterday. He said they are finally seriously looking at doing it so yes if more people call them all the better.

Not sure why the GTC is not as popular. Seems to fill a nice niche between the GT/GTS and the GTR.
Old 02-03-2023, 09:40 AM

2020 AMG GTC
Originally Posted by MikeGLS450
I actually spoke to John at RW yesterday. He said they are finally seriously looking at doing it so yes if more people call them all the better.

Not sure why the GTC is not as popular. Seems to fill a nice niche between the GT/GTS and the GTR.
This is great. I will call in too, maybe we will have something soon.

I think that MB did not market the GTC correctly on the onset. However, now that the GTR and GTS are not available, we will see more GTCs around.
Old 02-03-2023, 03:27 PM

2020 AMG GTC
Originally Posted by MikeGLS450

I spoke to John from RW Carbon earlier and he did confirm that they are working on a rear diffuser for the facelift AMG GTC. However, he said that it will look the same as the pre-facelift one but have a bigger exhaust space to fit the dual rectangular tailpipe of the latest GTC. (See the current GTC RW diffuser bellow - red car).
This is disappointing because a) if you are looking from esthetic POV, its doesn't cut it, too shallow and kind of hidden fins, and b) from aerodynamics POV, it does not have enough fins to create a smooth and unidirectional flow at the rear.
I mentioned to John that the GT's RW diffuser (see gray car picture bellow) has a much better and functional aero design and looks better esthetically.
He was not sure if it is too late for changes but suggest sending an email with the request to their general manager Cory cory@rwcarbon.com with the request.
If you feel the GT design is a better solution for the new GTC diffuser, please let Cory know.

This is the proposed design for the new GTC diffuser, but with the space for a dual rectangular tailpipe.

This is the AMG GT current rear diffuser

Last edited by G. P; 02-03-2023 at 09:04 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by G. P:
dowheelies (08-01-2023), mbjj57 (02-04-2023)