Sport Cup 2’s

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-06-2023 | 08:17 PM

GLS450
Sport Cup 2’s

So I’m thinking of going with a Stage 2 tune at some point and would like to gain traction by going with Sport Cup 2’s. I know they’re standard on GTR’s but wanted to get some feedback. I don’t drive the car in the rain or winter. To complicate things it seems the also make the standard Cup 2’s along with the Cup 2 Connect and Cup 2R. In addition I’ve read the ones on the GTR are the same as those found on the Z06 and are ZP (Zero Pressure/run flats). I mention the ZP because the road quality up here in the northeast is questionable at best. Would love to hear opinions and experiences.
Old 02-06-2023 | 08:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
So the Cup 2 being a streetable track tire is made for high temperature application as you'll find when driving on a track. To get the grip they promise you have to get heat into them. Just tooling around town and such won't get them hot enough and the grip may be disappointing. A few burnouts will change that, but is that what you want? This is kinda the case with every summer performance tire. You need to get heat into them. It's even very distinct with the PS4S on my C63S coupe. When I go for a canyon run the grip becomes noticeably better as the tires heat up into the 160+ F range. You are not gonna get the tires into that range with just normal driving. Below is a chart from Michelin that shows grip vs tire temperature to give you an idea for where you need to be to get maximum grip. Most people don't ever even experience maximum grip of regular summer performance tires, because as said, they just don't get them hot enough.

The other thing to be aware of, the Cup 2 as do most track tires start out at a lower initial thread depth to reduce flex. Performance tires don't develop their full potential until they are worn down to about 6-7/32", so the Cup 2 starts out at 7.2/32" so that you don't have to wear them down first for maximum grip and performance.

Last point, AMG does not put ZP tires on their V8 models. The MO1 Cup 2 is not a ZP tire.

Last edited by superswiss; 02-06-2023 at 09:06 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by superswiss:
Hetzle (02-07-2023), lgarcia (02-07-2023), sevenhead (02-07-2023)
Old 02-07-2023 | 10:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘24 BMW iX M60
I found the OEM SC2 on my GTR to be fine as a DD tyre; although they perform better with ambient temps >50dF for sure and I didn’t drive it in cold, wet conditions on that tyre, although rain isn’t too bad with higher temps and you aren’t an idiot.

The OEM SC2 ZP tyre could be ordered in the rest of the World; (ROW), but not the USA. It is however the exact same tyre as came standard on the C7 Z06 with the FE7 (Z07) option, and is a much faster tyre on a road course, (by at least 2-3 seconds/lap on most courses I’d guess). It is a far more compromised street tyre though as it needs even higher ambient temps to perform at it’s best, and in fact it would be difficult to get them up to the optimum operating temperature on the street and not go to jail for it. Also, in wet, cold conditions you will be sliding all over the place. They have far less ‘tread’ than the SC2 and will wear faster as the compound is different also. They can be used in the summer on the street should you want to though.
Old 02-07-2023 | 12:34 PM

GLS450
I just checked Tire Rack and it says the ZP’s are in stock. 285/30-19 and 335/25-20. The reason why I’ve leaned toward them is historically I’m a nail magnet. I like knowing I can at least limp home.
Old 02-07-2023 | 12:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by MikeGLS450
I just checked Tire Rack and it says the ZP’s are in stock. 285/30-19 and 335/25-20. The reason why I’ve leaned toward them is historically I’m a nail magnet. I like knowing I can at least limp home.
Nail magnet here, too, but I've never had a complete flat from a nail or screw. They have the nice habit that they generally seal the puncture enough to keep driving and eventually I notice the pressure drop in TPMS. ZP adds stiffness, which reduces ride comfort. The Corvette has its suspension tuned for the ZP tires. They incorporated ZP into their design. Personally, I wouldn't put ZP tires on a car that didn't come with them from the factory. You do also have the compressor and tire sealant to patch a leak.
Old 02-07-2023 | 07:41 PM

GLS450
I remember reading an article the the GTR was available with an optional tire package that was basically the same tires as the ZP’s in the Corvette. I’m gonna try and find the article. Wondering if anyone on the forum runs them and can offer their take on them.
Old 02-08-2023 | 02:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘24 BMW iX M60
Originally Posted by MikeGLS450
I remember reading an article the the GTR was available with an optional tire package that was basically the same tires as the ZP’s in the Corvette. I’m gonna try and find the article. Wondering if anyone on the forum runs them and can offer their take on them.
Did you not read my post above? I went through three sets of the ZPs on my GTR because I tracked it a lot and I had two sets left over from my ‘15 Z06/7. I lowered the psi for Street usage down to 29 psi F&R, and as I said in warm weather they were fine. They do pick up and throw back a lot of debris since they are so ‘sticky’, but my whole car was covered in PPF so it wasn’t a concern.
The ZPs themselves only are super stiff on one side; (the inner aspect iirc) to provide the ‘Runflat’ advantage, although it basically allows you to pull off the highway safely and drive no more than 50 (?) miles before they are ruined. That means that even though they have less compliance than the OEM SC2, they are still relatively easy to live with on the street; again in warmer, dry weather.
Old 02-08-2023 | 03:00 PM

GLS450
My apologies as I missed that but thank you! That’s the exact answer I needed!!

Mike