AMG GT daily

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-18-2023, 07:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK
AMG GT daily

Hi everyone,
I guess it might have been discussed, but how silly is the idea of having the GT (2 door coupe) as the only vehicle? We do have some winters, mostly mild. Would I be OK not to drive when theres too much snow? I think so. This happens only for few days a year anyway. Now I drive GLC63, I like the car but the shape of the GT is somewhere else. The SUV is mostly empty. I do about 50 km to work and back, some errands. Thanks for sharing experience. In particular - any regrets of driving this all year round, do you feel limited or you got used to the little space?
I had SLK350 before, I guess now I have only good memories, but I remember the ride was firm and bit noisy Still loved the shape tho.
Old 04-18-2023, 06:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 694 Likes on 437 Posts
AMG
I daily drove my GTS for 4 years, and would not recommend it as your ONLY vehicle, especially if you get any sort of winter weather. There are going to be more places than you are likely considering that you will not feel comfortable, or be able, to drive it.
Old 04-18-2023, 07:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,568 Posts
2019 C63CS
Ultimately this depends on your lifestyle and what you use your car for. The GT is a great track car. Loved driving the GT S, GT R and GT BS on the track, but I would never get one for road use. The long hood, low front, lack of 360 camera or even forward camera in older model years and lack of the full suite of driving assistance feature it isn't for everyday driving, IMO. Also lacks creature comfort such as seat ventilation and leg extension on the performance seats. While it has a decent size trunk by volume, it doesn't have the most practical shape. For these and other reasons I have a '19 C63S coupe as my everyday car, but I have to admit that my wife's normal hatchback is still the better car for quick local errands. Easy to park and zip around town with its short wheelbase and light curb weight.

The C63 doesn't lack anything that the GT offers for road use, but has rear seats for occasional passengers, properly shaped and enclosed trunk and the full suite of driving assistance system and 360 camera, as well as ventilated seats and leg extension with the performance seats. Shorter hood and better visibility to navigate around daily obstacles. To me, the C63S coupe is simply the more usable coupe for road and everyday driving, and doesn't lack in the canyons. Starting with MY2019 it even has performance features only found in the GT R and above such as the 9-stage traction control system. I did European Delivery driving 6000 miles across Europe in 2 months visiting friends and family that were able to ride along while fitting two Samsonite luggage in the trunk. A true grand touring experience that I wouldn't have been able to do with the GT. Would have needed a support car for the luggage and passengers. Always found it ironic that the AMG with grand tourer in its name is actually the least fit grand tourer AMG offers.

With winter conditions it's even worse. Your biggest problem will be finding winter tires. That's actually the same for the C63S coupe. There are pretty much no winter tires for the staggered 19/20 wheels which it shares with the GT. I don't have winter conditions here in NorCal, so I'm on summer performance tires all year. Even if you only get snow occasionally, summer tires are not what you wanna drive on in cold temperatures. Below 40-45F they turn into hockey pucks and with all that power going to only the rear wheels you want some grippy rubber. These things are really mostly warm weather cars.

Last edited by superswiss; 04-18-2023 at 08:06 PM.
Old 04-18-2023, 09:13 PM

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts
2016 AMG GT-S
I daily mine in San Francisco / around California and have done road trips up and down the state in it. I'm 6'3" and found it totally doable for me + my girlfriend's luggage. It's definitely not cut out for winter use, moving larger items, or anything offroad. For that we have a Macan.