Sponsored by:

Need Bodyshop recommendation (S. FL)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-24-2023, 07:11 PM

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts
2018 AMG GT-R
Need Bodyshop recommendation (S. FL)

I just got TIKT canards and splitter to install, but want to address this issue and get the car ppf’d before using rivets.

Looking for reputable shop that can fix the clear issue and install carbon parts if possible. Drilling through the bumper is not something I feel I can easily screw up since nothing is symmetrical.

Clear flaking around the emblem

Clear flaking around the parking sensor

Mercedes body shop says roof replacement is the only way. Which makes no sense why it can’t be stripped and cleared.

Last edited by mikhro; 05-24-2023 at 07:14 PM.
Old 05-24-2023, 11:54 PM

Received 236 Likes on 158 Posts
Out of curiosity, did you purchase vehicle as such, with the clear coat de-lamination on the Green Hell Magno as noted above?

If so, how many miles did it have, and in which state did it spend its time before your ownership?

Old 05-25-2023, 06:55 AM

2018 AMG GT-R
Originally Posted by MBNRG
Out of curiosity, did you purchase vehicle as such, with the clear coat de-lamination on the Green Hell Magno as noted above?

If so, how many miles did it have, and in which state did it spend its time before your ownership?
The car is a 2018 with 10k miles. I bought it about 3 months ago, and have no clue if it was garbage kept or not.
I didn’t notice the clear issue until a few days after purchase, at that time it was too late to back out.
I was amazed that the car had no paint chips even though it wasn’t ppf’d. Paint is flawless except the clear in those areas above.
The following users liked this post:
MBNRG (05-27-2023)
Old 05-25-2023, 01:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 959 Likes on 576 Posts
‘24 BMW iX M60
If the car has no paint chips it either had to have had PPF applied during most of it’s life, and it was removed prior to your purchase, or the front aspect was repainted, although GHM is tough to match so I’d think if that was the case you’d notice.

Stupid ?: but if PPF was removed you can sometimes leave residual adhesive behind. There is no way that that is what you’re seeing, is it?
Old 05-25-2023, 03:52 PM

2018 AMG GT-R
Originally Posted by thebishman
If the car has no paint chips it either had to have had PPF applied during most of it’s life, and it was removed prior to your purchase, or the front aspect was repainted, although GHM is tough to match so I’d think if that was the case you’d notice.

Stupid ?: but if PPF was removed you can sometimes leave residual adhesive behind. There is no way that that is what you’re seeing, is it?
Definitely not residue, if you pick at it with your finger, the clear starts to flake further.
Today I dropped the car off to PPF the hood, fenders, mirrors, headlights and doors (except the front bumper). I'm trying to protect the car from any further damage until I get the bumper re-painted.
The owner of the place inspected the car and finds that it was previously wrapped matte black as they left small strips stuck to the inner fender edges. Doesn't make any sense to wrap a car when you just paid 10k for GHM color.
He suspects they pulled the wrap too harsh or incorrectly and pulled the clear coat. After they give it back they recommended someone that specializes in exotics and will have them repaint the front bumper to bring it back to get it PPF'd.
The following 2 users liked this post by mikhro:
MBNRG (05-27-2023), thebishman (05-26-2023)