Sponsored by:

18’ amg gts downshift proboem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-05-2023, 06:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMG GTs
18’ amg gts downshift proboem

Hi, took my gts for a nice drive after having not drive it for about 3 weeks. I always wait till all temperatures are warm enough to do a little pull. I was downshifting and there was a delayed response. I downshift lets say from 3rd to 2nd and it didnt downshift right away then i click it right away because mental response probably just thought i didnt click it hard enough ?? Then it would downshift to 2nd then 1st but it was delayed…. First time this is happening. Any feedback?
Old 07-06-2023, 01:38 PM

Received 384 Likes on 246 Posts
The dual-clutch transmission (DCT) in the AMG GT series has odd-numbered gears on one shaft/clutch and the even-numbered gears on the other shaft/clutch. If the controller thinks the next gear is likely to be "up" then it'll prepare the transmission for a quick shift into the next highest gear "up" (i.e., release one clutch and engage the other clutch without requiring any gear-change stuff). If, however, you then ask for the next lowest gear down, the transmission will require extra time to "rack up" that gear then do the shift. Same for the reverse situation. The controller uses various inputs to decide what the next gear will likely be, including things like the "g-force" sensors that yield acceleration/deceleration information along with throttle position and direction/rate of travel. It won't always "read your mind" correctly (I'm used to that, neither does my wife ... in spite of my expectations). #;-)
Old 07-06-2023, 02:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 966 Likes on 581 Posts
‘24 BMW iX M60
Originally Posted by tonyt123
Hi, took my gts for a nice drive after having not drive it for about 3 weeks. I always wait till all temperatures are warm enough to do a little pull. I was downshifting and there was a delayed response. I downshift lets say from 3rd to 2nd and it didnt downshift right away then i click it right away because mental response probably just thought i didnt click it hard enough ?? Then it would downshift to 2nd then 1st but it was delayed…. First time this is happening. Any feedback?

What mode were you in?
Old 07-07-2023, 07:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMG GTs
Originally Posted by thebishman
What mode were you in?
Sport+
Old 07-08-2023, 01:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 966 Likes on 581 Posts
‘24 BMW iX M60
Originally Posted by tonyt123
Sport+
Well it should have been changing gears pretty rapidly in Sport+. The DCT is adaptive in nature, so if it was the first ‘aggressive’ downshift you had called for after driving conservatively in order to warm up the fluids, you may have just caught the TCU ‘between’ maps, if that makes sense.

If after that first slow shift the transmission acted normally for the rest of the drive I wouldn’t worry about it tbh.