Sponsored by:

Can I run CCB front with iron rears ? Insane rotor wear

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-31-2023, 06:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 966 Likes on 581 Posts
‘24 BMW iX M60
As your times at LS prove you are very fast on track, but you are seriously overheating the front brakes as evidenced by the total discolouration of your front CCM calipers, and the excess wear you’ve previously mentioned. You must have a terribly balanced system in that you state your rear brakes simply aren’t wearing; hence pretty much all of your braking performance is being handled by the front brakes.

I really think you need to diagnose the issue immediately before you have a potentially serious front brake failure on track, at speed.

Take care out there.
Old 08-31-2023, 07:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 208 Likes on 91 Posts
2014 cls63 a amg. 2018 AMG GTR
Originally Posted by thebishman
As your times at LS prove you are very fast on track, but you are seriously overheating the front brakes as evidenced by the total discolouration of your front CCM calipers, and the excess wear you’ve previously mentioned. You must have a terribly balanced system in that you state your rear brakes simply aren’t wearing; hence pretty much all of your braking performance is being handled by the front brakes.

I really think you need to diagnose the issue immediately before you have a potentially serious front brake failure on track, at speed.

Take care out there.
totally agree. I do have an update with some new data after the big day yesterday. Seems promising.

Girodisc has been helping me a ton to get to the bottom of this. Mike has spent hours with me on the phone. Robyn as well. Great group of guys that clearly have engineer backgrounds.

made some changes. Same front GP30 pads. Swapped the rear GP20 pads with a new GP25 compound. Trying to balance the system out better. Removed titanium backing plates. Da front rotors and new pads. Results so far :

Greatly improved braking and feel. Braking deeper and much more confidently. 👍. Certainly a factor with my improved times. Funny how that works. Feeling more confident you won’t smash into a wall at 120 plus mph. 🤔

rears finally showing the typical heat cracking. Calipers got hot and discolored some. Finally sharing the load.

didn’t notice much of any smoking coming into lots.

ran 47 laps in 7 sessions vs last outing was 46 laps in 5 sessions. Full laps not counting outlap.
mine big difference however was my trans was overheating. Causing me to do cool down laps after 10 min. Giving the brakes a decent break from the heat. Without the same sustained heat as before it’s hard to n is where it’s at completely.

I did look at the rotors and pads. Zero heat cracking on rotors so far. Pads looked very thick from what I could see. I’ll pull the wheels and measure shortly and report back. Looks promising.

someone else I know has a tuned ,slicked , suspension GTS running 1:35s. He’s using Girodisc and Endless pads. Says he gets about three days on pads and maybe 6 or more on rotors. He wasn’t sure on rotors.
Old 08-31-2023, 07:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2016 AMG GTS
Originally Posted by dllhg
those are original believe it or not. 🙃
Hey Dllhg, it's the green magno GTR from Sunday at LS....my calipers are also turning that color. I think you should probably flush the Endless fluid and go back to SRF...and I believe the only problem with your brakes is that you're using the heck out of them at Laguna Seca, which is murderous on brake components...anyone wanna torture test brakes, go to Sebring and Laguna Seca and do a full HPDE weekend in a fast car. One will find brake limitations that 2 years of testing at the NRing will never find.
Also, you mentioned switching back to the OEM setup when we were hanging out. I'm still leery about using the CCMs because of the rapid degradation at elevated temperatures...such as the ones you'll probably encounter at Laguna Seca on a warm day. I'll send you a photo of my front CCMs on my 991 Turbo S at the corkscrew the one time I used them...haha
Old 08-31-2023, 07:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by RMDZidane
Hey Dllhg, it's the green magno GTR from Sunday at LS....my calipers are also turning that color. I think you should probably flush the Endless fluid and go back to SRF...and I believe the only problem with your brakes is that you're using the heck out of them at Laguna Seca, which is murderous on brake components...anyone wanna torture test brakes, go to Sebring and Laguna Seca and do a full HPDE weekend in a fast car. One will find brake limitations that 2 years of testing at the NRing will never find.
Also, you mentioned switching back to the OEM setup when we were hanging out. I'm still leery about using the CCMs because of the rapid degradation at elevated temperatures...such as the ones you'll probably encounter at Laguna Seca on a warm day. I'll send you a photo of my front CCMs on my 991 Turbo S at the corkscrew the one time I used them...haha
yeah I think a lot of people dont get how hard Laguna is on brakes in a fast car. In my C7Z I used to get 5-6 days with crappy pads running mid 1:40s As I got faster and faster life went way down. 1:39s and I was getting two days on good pads. 1:36-1:37s I couldn’t find a pad that could survive more than a single event. ST45s we’re on metal end of 5 sessions. EBC let me test some new Sintered pads I was able to get 2 days out of with a little left over. They don’t make pads for the CCM shape though. Thought about going to the iron calipers just so I could use those again. They reduced caliper wear as well. I used a lot of those pads and had a lot of data for them. Was very impressive.

I feel much more optimistic now. Car felt so good yesterday. Just wish I could have gotten full sessions. Obviously it’s when things get the hottest they wear the quickest. I want to go full sessions.
Old 09-01-2023, 10:09 AM

Received 208 Likes on 121 Posts
Winnebago, Yugo
Originally Posted by dllhg
totally agree. I do have an update with some new data after the big day yesterday. Seems promising.

Girodisc has been helping me a ton to get to the bottom of this. Mike has spent hours with me on the phone. Robyn as well. Great group of guys that clearly have engineer backgrounds.

made some changes. Same front GP30 pads. Swapped the rear GP20 pads with a new GP25 compound. Trying to balance the system out better. Removed titanium backing plates. Da front rotors and new pads. Results so far :

Greatly improved braking and feel. Braking deeper and much more confidently. 👍. Certainly a factor with my improved times. Funny how that works. Feeling more confident you won’t smash into a wall at 120 plus mph. 🤔

rears finally showing the typical heat cracking. Calipers got hot and discolored some. Finally sharing the load.

didn’t notice much of any smoking coming into lots.

ran 47 laps in 7 sessions vs last outing was 46 laps in 5 sessions. Full laps not counting outlap.
mine big difference however was my trans was overheating. Causing me to do cool down laps after 10 min. Giving the brakes a decent break from the heat. Without the same sustained heat as before it’s hard to n is where it’s at completely.

I did look at the rotors and pads. Zero heat cracking on rotors so far. Pads looked very thick from what I could see. I’ll pull the wheels and measure shortly and report back. Looks promising.

someone else I know has a tuned ,slicked , suspension GTS running 1:35s. He’s using Girodisc and Endless pads. Says he gets about three days on pads and maybe 6 or more on rotors. He wasn’t sure on rotors.
When I switched to the Girodisc set up I was not able to run the titanium shims on the the front as the pads were dragging too hard. So you were running them up to this point? Mine were made by the guy in Russia. Not sure if different vendors are using similar gauge or not.
Old 09-01-2023, 11:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by canucklehead
When I switched to the Girodisc set up I was not able to run the titanium shims on the the front as the pads were dragging too hard. So you were running them up to this point? Mine were made by the guy in Russia. Not sure if different vendors are using similar gauge or not.
Yes I ran them for a few track days and just removed them. mine were made by Girodisc. Super thin