GTS Coupe armrest storage question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-30-2023, 12:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W213
Question GTS Coupe armrest storage question

Hi All,

I'm taking delivery of a 2018 GTS coupe in a few days and will be getting aftermarket wireless Carplay fitted soon thereafter. I have an iPhone 14 pro max in a fairly bulky magsafe compatible case, and a genuine apple magsafe USB-C charger. I'm beginning to model the mount options for the magsafe charger, and ideally it would be out of sight and in the storage area underneath the armrest between the seats. The iphone/case combo is 166mm x 83mm x 14mm (L x W x T), or 6.535" x 3.268" x 0.551" for those not using metric measurements. A couple of questions for those who may have trodden this path:

1) Is the storage area in question large enough to lay an iPhone 14 pro max flat in the bottom?
2) Alternatively, is the storage area in question tall and wide enough to 'lean' an iphone 14 pro max up against the angled rear face?
3) Does anyone have the pertinent dimensions for this storage area already measured up Metric or imperial is fine - I can convert?
4) Has anyone else found a convenient location fo the phone in such a setup - Carplay will connect wirelessly on firing it up, and i want to be able to basically drop the phone on somewhere and have the magsafe charger hold it in place. As mentioned, I'd rather not have vent/suction/screwed phone mounts on display in the interior if possible.

Many thanks for any light you can shed. I'd be happy to share STL files for 3d printing the finalised mount system in return for any of the above info.

Thanks all.
Old 12-30-2023, 03:12 PM

Received 34 Likes on 15 Posts
AMG-GT
I use the Weathertech CupPhone holder. Holds the Pro Max 14 securely in place, even during track events. The iPhone 14 Max WILL lay flat in the center console.

Old 12-30-2023, 03:30 PM

Received 237 Likes on 158 Posts
+1 for the CupPhone
Old 12-30-2023, 04:08 PM

W213
Thanks for the heads up on the cupholder mount. The GTS will be used on european road trips with Mrs Banana so will need both cupholders free. Plus, I want the phone and cabling out of sight - that’s why I’m having carplay added. I’ve modelled up half of a two-part mount system and am currently printing the first prototype. Once I have the car I can knock up the 2nd part that mounts the cradle to the car and give it a go.

Good to hear that a pro max will lie flat in the cubby - it means it should be mountable at an angle on the drivers side face of the cubby so it’s out of the way of shades, etc.

Old 12-31-2023, 11:35 AM

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
AMG GTS, Mercedes 6.9, 190SL
The armrest storage area is very large, but is kinda at a funky angle to reach back in to. The front portion has an angled bottom. The back is deep, probably deep enough to stand a phone vertically, for sure horizontally. I think you'll be fine. The glove box however is very small.
Old 01-02-2024, 01:15 AM

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
AMG GTS, Mercedes 6.9, 190SL
I measured but forgot by now. I think the storage area is around 6"x8" with the depth going averaging around 4". The bigger issue is the around 2x2x2 hump in the back corner. Still think your phone will lay flat on the bottom, if not just slightly tilted.
Old 01-02-2024, 03:53 AM

W213
Originally Posted by Eyeman89
I measured but forgot by now. I think the storage area is around 6"x8" with the depth going averaging around 4". The bigger issue is the around 2x2x2 hump in the back corner. Still think your phone will lay flat on the bottom, if not just slightly tilted.
Thanks - that's helpful, and encouraging