Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

How soon and often should I wax?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-16-2002, 12:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How soon and often should I wax?

I live in South Florida and my '02 CLK 430 was delivered April 1st, however, it sat in my garage for a month. I drive it like 3 times a week and wash it every week (only if I drive it that week). So basically, I've washed it about 6 times now.
I read somewhere that you dont wax until after 6 months. Is this true??? Considering that we are approaching the rainy season, how soon and how often should I wax and what is a recommended wax to use????

P.S. I take my CLK to a reputable hand car wash, however, I need your opinion.
Old 06-17-2002, 10:02 AM

2001 CLK 320
Wax

Your question is a very good one. I looked into it when I took delivery of my car. I was told that you really should wait at least 2-3 months after build date before using a polish or a glaze. However, this point is somewhat moot since chances are that your dealer did some polishing before waxing the car and delivering it to you. This, however, is not always the case. Some dealers do a very quick job of getting the car ready. Does the water still bead? If so, you probably got a decent waxing from the dealer. I would look at your door sill, find out your car's production month, add 2-3 months, and at that point, GENTLY detail the car yourself. Plenty of opinions on this forum as to what works well. (Is it an everyday driver? etc.) Wax frequency is simple, when the water starts to stop beading well, wax. Regarding your local hand car wash, I would try to do the car myself. No matter how good they are, there is usually grit in the towels, etc. Good luck!
Old 06-17-2002, 11:59 AM

Waxing

Thanks CLK320 ! Good advice.

I followed my car's production date since I originally was going to opt for the European delivery, however, I backed out at the last minute (too cold !!!). Anyway my car was built on Feb. 27, '02 but did not get delivered until April 'cause of me changing my mind. With regards to the wax, it still beads, so I guess my dealer prep'd it up real good before delivering it to me. (I wonder what that did to the factory clear coat?)

Since it's not an every day car, I'll wait a couple of more months and take your advise on detailing it myself.

Thanks !
Old 06-19-2002, 01:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
nah, strip that crap off. They most likely used a silicone based product that attracts dust like crazy. I highly recommend investing in the klasse system or zaino system. Especially that your car is new, it is best to start off now to minimize swirls and other things that will ruin your flawless finish. If you have any specific questions please post them. You can buy zaino at www.zainobros.com and you can buy klasse at www.properautocare.com

good luck!
Old 06-19-2002, 11:58 PM

I've heard about both products. Thanks. I'll look into geting one of them!!!