Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

HOw do you get Paint off ?? HELP PLEASE

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-09-2005, 08:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2022 911 c4s cab, 2022 Lambo Urus
HOw do you get Paint off ?? HELP PLEASE

Stream of luck getting worse. I just ran into a pillar in my parking garage. Need to get more sleep i guess. Such a stupid mistake. The rear bumper isn't damaged but it does have a huge mark on the back. It's the paint off the pillar suck on my bumper?

Anyone know how to get it off without ruining the finish of the car paint?? JUst pain soap water doesnt look like it'll do the trick.

PLEASE HELP
Old 06-09-2005, 11:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes-Benz w124
just use Mothers california clay or whichever clay you prefer. they are mainly the same. you won't notice too much of a difference since you have barely started. just get the clay and cut it into 4 pieces with a clean knife. make sure you donn't drop the clay!! if you do, throw it away or you can just use it for your wheels for caked on brake dust. spray the lube that comes with it ( if it doesn't come with it, just get half an ounce of your car wash and 16 ounces of water in a spray ) and just spray the area and the clay. then move the clay back and forth over the area. don't skimp on this. because if you just stop early and go ahead to waxing, you may still have spots of paint. work well, then inspect your results. if you still have some paint ; then keep doing the clay. just to let you know, you may have hit the pillar too hard and made some of YOUR paint to come off. and while your at it, it would be a good idea to clay your entire car including your windows. good luck. post back with before and after results
Old 06-09-2005, 11:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 E320 (210.065), Brilliant Silver; 2002 Ducati ST-2, Arrest-me Red
Two quick points. First, remember the basic rule is speed over pressure. Don't press hard, just gently.

Also, clay may work, but depending on the paint and how hard it's embedded, you can also use Meguiar's ScratchX. Again, gentle pressure. Lots less work than claying it the whole time, plus if you don't have clay you can get ScratchX almost anywhere. And unless you use heavy pressure and continue beyond the removal of the paint, you won't damage your paint or clear coat.

When you're through remember to wax/seal the area as you'll have removed your paint's protection.

Good luck and enjoy the ride,
Greg
Old 06-09-2005, 04:21 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
Use detailer's clay (Clay Magic-Red) this is slightly more aggressive than their standard `Blue' bar as it is formulated form the removal of heavier contaminants or paint over spray. Do not use detailing clay on plastic as it may cause surface `dulling'. For plastic surfaces try a 5:1 solution of distilled water/ white vinegar or Isopropyl Alcohol (adjust ratio as required) or use a mild solvent cleaner (Klasse All-In-On)For stubborn oerspray use a cleaner wax after the clay
JonM