Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Underside washing?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-29-2002, 02:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML 500
Underside washing?

Hi,

OK, I washed my new baby for the first time today. Felt good. I don't really have the time (who does), but I figure I just think of it as a hobbie/exersize type of thing. We'll see how I feel when I do a full job with waxing. I'm still not sure what I will do in winter though (Wisconsin).

Anyway, I came up with a question, what do people tend to do about the underside? Just spray with water, or do most people try to reach under as far as they can with the sponge/mitt to soap down as much as they can (boy, I hope no one takes this email out of context

This time I basically just did to the edge of the painted skin, and I did somewhat scrub the wheel wells.
Old 06-29-2002, 04:41 PM
Super Moderator

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
I usually soap/wash to the end of the curvature of the side skirts, front/rear apron.

During my final wash of the wheels I also soap and scrib the inner wheel well liners.

As far as the underside of the vehicle, a gentle spray of water is all that I do.

I spend far more time on getting all the damn brake dust off the wheels and inside the rims to the inside edge as well.
Old 06-29-2002, 09:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 CLK 320
Undercarriage

I would be extremely careful and use a separate sponge/washmit for any part of the car below the main panels. There is usually far more dirt on bumpers, side skirts and especially wheels and wheel wells. Wheels always get their own sponge because you are using wheel cleaner, not car shampoo. You do not want that grit coming in contact with your paint.
Old 06-29-2002, 10:49 PM
Super Moderator

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
Re: Undercarriage

Originally posted by CLK 320
I would be extremely careful and use a separate sponge/washmit for any part of the car below the main panels. There is usually far more dirt on bumpers, side skirts and especially wheels and wheel wells. Wheels always get their own sponge because you are using wheel cleaner, not car shampoo. You do not want that grit coming in contact with your paint.
Excellent point...