Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

How to: cleaning wheel wells

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 06:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
05 CLK 500 cab
Originally Posted by mikekuriger
my car seems to have fabric in the wheel wells. how do you guys clean that?
I have these in the rear. I rinse mine with the hose at each wash but the best way I've found clean them properly is to remove a wheel and use a pressure washer, then water, car soap and a scrubbing brush. I still end up picking out a few fir needles one at a time.
Old 01-01-2009, 07:59 PM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
C350
I actually made a drill tool. It works well. I connect it to my drill, but the drill battery does not last long. I don't use my Dewalt, I use some cheap 20 dollar drill.
Usually I use a bucket of soap and water. Dip it in and clean the majority of the wheel grease with it following a nice cleaning with some towels that I only use for cleaning my rims
Old 01-21-2009, 12:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1987 300 SDL
If you run out of simple green, you can also use two fingers Mr. Clean (fluorecent green), two onces laundry dtergent (liquid), and two ounces dish washing detergent(liquid), top it off with warm water in a spray bottle the size of a simple green one (32 oz). Spray this mix to dry wheel wells let it soak and sit for three minutes and get an old big sponge (at least the size of your hand) and "never use it for your paint again" soaked in soapy water and scrub lightly. I use my hydraulic jack to lift the car just enough to be able to scrub around, no need for SUVs. Hose it off, let dry and add stoners, or demplex. You can also use a light coat of Armour All, but use it (apply) with a sponge cause it will blow all over your paint and glass and ruin your detailing. Or you can do it prior to washing your car (painted surfaces). Also be mindfull not to get the Armour All on your garage floor or you'll be skating in no time without ice or roller blades; really slippery and a hazard to kids, wifie, and beer happy dads doing detailing !!!
Old 04-27-2009, 11:36 AM

Ml 350
my rear wheel wells have felt, how do u guys clean that mines got some grass cuttings stuck to it. was thinking about taking a lint remover to it haha
Old 04-28-2009, 04:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
05 CLK 500 cab
I've tried scrub brush and a hose, but it's easier and less messy to use a pressure washer.
Old 05-16-2009, 10:07 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
08 STI
I hope you don't mind but here is a write up for wheels /wheel wells.

https://mbworld.org/forums/detailing...s-ver-2-a.html
Old 01-29-2010, 10:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 AMG C63 S
Originally Posted by sack5000
Try raising your car before attacking those wheel wells.
Or take the wheels off the car. A great time for a complete like new cleaning is when you change the tires. Just go in back with the monkey and clean each one as he goes around your car. Get the Kar don wheel wells at the same time!!!
Old 07-02-2010, 05:58 AM

szfsg
Simple Green cleaning is effective in more than 20 years. Simple Green September corrodes aluminum metal because it was left too long, and the alkalinity of the product to accelerate the corrosion process. All you have to do is to be used with caution, and rinse thoroughly with water after use.
Old 07-02-2010, 07:11 AM

2005 E55 AMG
wtf is simple green september?
Old 07-08-2012, 09:36 PM

1999 SL500, 2003 E320, 2005 SL55
I use this stuff called Xenit on my wheel wells. It's a strong citrus cleaner and I've found it to be far more effective than Simple Green. It's also great for removing cosmoline (the undercarriages on my Porsche 928's were coated with cosmoline at the factory to prevent rust, but I have no need for it). I think Xenit has to be ordered online, as I've never seen it in a store.
Old 03-13-2014, 12:01 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
13' E350 4matic, 08' E63
For an absolutely clean wheel well, do a wheel off cleaning. Jack the vehicle up and take the wheel off.

Wheels--P21s wheel gel for the rim and tire. It is clear coat safe. Use your brushes and get the barrel of the rim really well. You will find a lot of tar on it, you can use Stoners Tarminator, however do not let it streak the rest of the rim after spraying it. When done with rim, blow it dry, then put some type of wheel wax, Opti Seal, or one of the new coatings (22PLE) on them. This will drastically reduce the amount of Merc brake dust that is collected and from this time on if using a coating you will only need to use soap and water on them and no degreasers. Saves you money and looks a lot better in the end.

Wheel wells-- All the idea presented work and are good ideas. However, how many of us have done this work, whether on our own cars or a paid customers. Just to see it days later after a rain and the wells are back to dull black or slightly stained. All that hard work for what. (some of the sprays mentioned will last a little longer on darkening them up, but all will eventually disappear)

ALL plastic well liners do come out by removing just a couple plugs and screws. Take the time to take them out. Clean them thoroughly, might take several washes with brushes and a strong cleaner such as simple green. You won't have to worry about the cleaners getting on the rims, or paint, or suspension parts. What I have used after this is Optimums Opti-Seal sealant. works wonders on plastic. The typical plastic you see fade to ugly on most american cars within months of being new, if coated with Opti-Seal at first, this won't happen. What our goal is clean pure black wheel well liners. This will do it and put on a heavy coat. Spray it on then use a sponge, MF pad, or tire gel pad to spread it on. Let it dry and put it back on the vehicle. From now on just use wash soap and a mitt or brush to loosen debris and dirt and rinse clean. No more need for armor all or any other type of detail spray. They will stay clean and black. Several months later, take the wheel off and clean and re coat. This is a long term solution.

Felt well liners--- Pressure washing is the best way to clean and maintain. BMW's and Maserati's typically have these. You can spray cleaner on them to loosen up dirt and grease, then pressure wash it clean. Brushes will only pull at the felt, so unless a specific area I stay away from them. Pine needles and Fir pieces you will have to remove by hand.

I hope this helps some members out.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:32 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
08 STI
an elapsed time video take a look

and at 19 seconds you will see wheel well cleaning to the max ; )

Old 03-13-2014, 11:44 AM

2005 E55 AMG
This is funny. These types of posts regarding how to clean wheels. Only on a merc forum lol.
Old 08-24-2015, 03:24 PM

E350
i use spray nine for cleaning wheels, does a decent job. have you guys had experience with spray nine long term??
Old 08-24-2015, 03:32 PM

E350
man that was a serious detail job, probably took the entire day!
Old 10-09-2015, 09:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts
'99 CLK/05 E500 WAG
Think of it like this, if you clean your butt crack, clean the cracks and crevices on your ride. They need love too. Nothing like a fully detailed car that costs pennies. Your local detailer will not put the work in as you would. Just my thoughts
Old 10-10-2015, 01:59 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
13' E350 4matic, 08' E63
Originally Posted by 2MERKS
Think of it like this, if you clean your butt crack, clean the cracks and crevices on your ride. They need love too. Nothing like a fully detailed car that costs pennies. Your local detailer will not put the work in as you would. Just my thoughts
Hadn't posted in a long time, But I WONT let my dealers EVER touch my cars for cleaning. (Well maybe vacuuming) but they do horrible jobs. Remember dealers are for production and the old school detailers or the kids don't really care. They think you are a Rich Pompus A$$ anyway.

The Mercedes Dealer car washes are mostly Automatic, they are the WORST thing to take a car through. They are cloth and the cloth has all the other peoples dirt, sand, rocks etc.... in it, then it drags across your car just to scratch it all up. What a waste, but your normal Merc driver doesn't care anyway.
Old 10-10-2015, 06:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts
'99 CLK/05 E500 WAG
Automatic machinery. ...that's why i do it properly myself. ..your post hit the spot.
Thanks
Old 12-04-2015, 12:31 PM

C63 AMG
I clean my car twice a week when I can; at LEAST once (thoroughly...which includes, everything from Clean Dean; thought I was the only one...) - Just want to throw in cleaning around the badging...I'm always ashamed when I see another AMG owner, and the badging has 8 inches or built-up grime...I hit mine with a soft toothbrush and some showtime and...like new). I also use an old prepaid credit card and a micro fiber cloth to get in to the creases...it must actually hurt (literally) my eyes to look directly at the car when I'm done...or, I'm not done...
Old 02-25-2020, 08:56 AM

CLA 250 2017 sports
Question, do you put ths stoners trim shine on your tire rims? My rims are BLACK Metal spokes. I love simple green for stuff. Will try it on my rims next time. BUT more interested in does the Stoners Trim Shine keep them shinning and for how long?